Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Insulate a garage/shed or not?

• 06-02-2011 5:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭

I'm self-building a 24x14 garage/shed for storage at back of house. Using 4" blocks on the flat - would I need to insulate? And if so, internal or external plus any recommendations based on experiences please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

rco2000 wrote: »
    I'm self-building a 24x14 garage/shed for storage at back of house. Using 4" blocks on the flat - would I need to insulate? And if so, internal or external plus any recommendations based on experiences please?

...tbh, it depends on what you're using it for, or whether you're going to be spending (any) time in it.

If you're using it for general storage, probably not. Bicycles, lawnmower, etc..

If you're a hobbyist, and spend time in there (like me), fixing motorbikes/cars etc, then, imho, you should.

Why blocks on the flat, though ? EWI on that will be just too expensive - lay a cavity wall (NOT cavity block !), and pump it. Insulate the roof. My 25' x 40' is 300mm cavity wall, pumped, and 100mm insulated panel roof. Double glazed pedestrian door & windows, and insulated sectional doors.

I put up a new one last week at the side of my house, 3.8m x 6.8m, and I went to a non-concrete, higher spec again. Basically, I'm too old to want to spend time in a garage wrapped up in heavy gear - I do like my comfort.

The other thing to consider is: if you don't build a warm garage of some sort, you'll find things corrode in it: cars, chrome, etc etc.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,284 ✭✭✭✭muffler

galwaytt wrote: »
    Why blocks on the flat, though ? EWI on that will be just too expensive - lay a cavity wall (NOT cavity block !), and pump it. Insulate the roof.

The other thing to consider is: if you don't build a warm garage of some sort, you'll find things corrode in it: cars, chrome, etc etc.
    +1 to this.

Insulate your floor, build walls with cavity and insulate and same for roof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

100% agree with galwaytt.
    Put in adamp-proof-membrane (plastic sheet ) in floor to prevent rising damp. A damp floor will help rot anything stored on it, including tyres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

I was coming in to say don't ask me because my garage has a 300mm cavity wall with pumped insulation, 150mm in the floor & 130mm in the roof but everyone else beat me to it! I want to be in a warm space rather than having to warm myself in the space!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

Depends what it will be used for. If storing Turf then don't insulate. It needs a bit of air/draft to stop it weeping! That was my excuse anyway!
    Insulate the floor anyway - in case you change the use later...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...tbh, it depends on what you're using it for, or whether you're going to be spending (any) time in it.

If you're using it for general storage, probably not. Bicycles, lawnmower, etc..

If you're a hobbyist, and spend time in there (like me), fixing motorbikes/cars etc, then, imho, you should.

Why blocks on the flat, though ? EWI on that will be just too expensive - lay a cavity wall (NOT cavity block !), and pump it. Insulate the roof. My 25' x 40' is 300mm cavity wall, pumped, and 100mm insulated panel roof. Double glazed pedestrian door & windows, and insulated sectional doors.

I put up a new one last week at the side of my house, 3.8m x 6.8m, and I went to a non-concrete, higher spec again. Basically, I'm too old to want to spend time in a garage wrapped up in heavy gear - I do like my comfort.

Tks a mil for the advice folks.

Use is for General storage (Bikes, Garden furniture, lawnmower etc) plus prob Turf (if so, will reek plus leave gap from wall).
    Plan on def insulating the roof & the floors.
    RE: walls, too late for cavity..half way up with 4" on the flat. EWI looks too expensive alright ... may look at internal wall insulation (need to price & overcome constraint of drilling for shelving?) or do without altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

rco2000 wrote: »

Tks a mil for the advice folks.

Use is for General storage (Bikes, Garden furniture, lawnmower etc) plus prob Turf (if so, will reek plus leave gap from wall).
    Plan on def insulating the roof & the floors.
    RE: walls, too late for cavity..half way up with 4" on the flat. EWI looks too expensive alright ... may look at internal wall insulation (need to price & overcome constraint of drilling for shelving?) or do without altogether.

It's not to late: you can stop, and correct now. No point in doing it all 'wrong'.........!

Internal wall insulation ? And stack turf ?.....er, don't think so......it'll sweat like mad...........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

I'll be building a garage soon and will be going with 100mm fully filled cavity (with beads). My question is how much floor insulation would be 'sensible'? I will be storing the usual (bikes, lawn movers, etc.) as well as working in it in evenings and weekends at odd jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Personally, I'd put 100mm thick Aeroboard or 60mm thk foil back Kingspan / xthratherm or similar. The most important thing is to install a good quality damp-proof-membrace to stop rising damp.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mchugo

Hi

I've bought a 8x6foot wooden shed and I want to use this as an office and maybe sleep in the odd night. Besides the floor membrane what's the best way to insulate as guy who works in b&q advised not to
    Insulate? Confusing what way to go as indont want it too hot but don't want to freeze or cause damage either thanks C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭air

You can't seriously be considering sleeping in an 8x6 garden shed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Who2

You definitely should externally insulate if you've built with block on the flat. Otherwise that she'd will be very damp. The blocks will pull any bit of damp inside and before you know it you'll have a grand covering of mould on anything it can grow on.

Advertisement