Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any help?

• 06-02-2011 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭

A couple of days ago while browsing i think i stumbled upon a virus of some sort. The display changed, i wasn't able to connect to the internet and tools like system restore stopped working. Anyway, ran Avast and it found a couple of problems but didn't return me to normal. Eventually restarted my computer but all i get now is a blank screen when windows should be loading. Tried pushing F8 to start up in safe mode and nothing happens. Lost patience and tried to reboot windows from a CD and it comes up "push any button to launch from cd" but again nothing happens when i push bittons. Keyboard is fine btw. I'm nearly 100% its not a hardware issue as everything happened when i visited a certain site and system restore even urged me to restart the computer. Anyone ever come across this or offer any help? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

That's a toughie since you can't even get it on, Is re-installing windows a no go? Connect the hard drive to another computer and run Malwarebytes on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

That's a toughie since you can't even get it on, Is re-installing windows a no go? Connect the hard drive to another computer and run Malwarebytes on it?

Yeah i tried to reinstall windows but the computer won't let me on startup:(.I'll try removing the hard drive. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

corny wrote: »
    A couple of days ago while browsing i think i stumbled upon a virus of some sort. The display changed, i wasn't able to connect to the internet and tools like system restore stopped working. Anyway, ran Avast and it found a couple of problems but didn't return me to normal. Eventually restarted my computer but all i get now is a blank screen when windows should be loading. Tried pushing F8 to start up in safe mode and nothing happens. Lost patience and tried to reboot windows from a CD and it comes up "push any button to launch from cd" but again nothing happens when i push bittons. Keyboard is fine btw. I'm nearly 100% its not a hardware issue as everything happened when i visited a certain site and system restore even urged me to restart the computer. Anyone ever come across this or offer any help? Thanks.

i test the hard drive sounds like a hard problem. check the hard drive manufacturer hard drive testing utility.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Was able to rescue most of the important stuff on the hard drive before wiping it and re-installing windows. Starting from scratch now but problem solved.:)

Advertisement