Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to remove Coving intact?

• 06-02-2011 5:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

Looking for experience here. Is it possible to remove sections of plaster Coving intact?
    I need to remove and replace a section in my sitting room as I am going to put up a new wall section to help block party wall sound transmission

I reckon I will have difficulty finding new stuff the same, do you reckon it's possible at all?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Looking for experience here. Is it possible to remove sections of plaster Coving intact?
    I need to remove and replace a section in my sitting room as I am going to put up a new wall section to help block party wall sound transmission

I reckon I will have difficulty finding new stuff the same, do you reckon it's possible at all?

Thanks in advance.

Nope,it will break and or crack.

What type of plaster coving is it?

If its standard S-Shaped plaster coving,then any builders providers will have it.

I had to get a new length of Gyproc Plaster S-Coving recently,when my builder was re-altering my chimney breast and fireplace.

Its fairly cheap to buy and comes in a 3 meter length.But its fragile and breaks quite easily unless you carry and support it propperly.;)

And if you cant get the plaster coving that you require in a builders providers,then simply take a piece of the coving that you took down,to any plaster moulding shop,that make ceiling features and plaster decor,and they will copy it and make you a new piece of coving to suit.

Simples.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Thanks paddy suspected as much!

I am aiming to do pretty much what you did re sound from party wall, had enough of the noise at this stage.

Thanks paddy suspected as much!

I am aiming to do pretty much what you did re sound from party wall, had enough of the noise at this stage.

Yep,worked a treat for me,no more noisy neighbours or their loud TV blaring away anymore.

Peace and quite now,the silence is deafening now.

SWEET.:D

Oh and good luck with the coving bit,Im sure you will be able to get it,or have it remade by a plaster decor moulding shop.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

Thanks in advance.

You could try a reciprocating saw with a long fine tooth blade, it will bend to the wall and cut the bead of joint filler that is holding the Coving to the wall and ceiling (see paddys attachment) that is if the pattern is hard to get a replacement, otherwise it would be easier to replace, any marks or cracks can be made good with joint filler/compound

Advertisement