Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Fibre Power broadband (was "Fibrewire")

• 06-02-2011 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi

New to boards.ie, names matjay please too meet you all. I have recently moved to Holywell and the only broadband available at the moment is wireless or hardline via eir**m, ie and wireless via the likes of w***x, v*****one and all other dongle types. I at the moment have w***x but having been living with my parents until now they had U*C broadband (20mb) which is outstanding. The performance is amazing and the service that I experienced was second to none.

Now you might be asking why I am rambling on about a service I currently cannot acquire. I wish to start this tread to let people know that we can get that service here!!!!!!! in Kicoole. I have been told that U*C's broadband is available just down the road from Kilcoole, in the estate on Priory road just before the roundabout leading to the N11. I have been told that the reason why U*C have not ran the new fibrewire cable up this far is because there are not enough customers to justify the work and effort of doing so.

So people the reason for this thread is to get the word out, in order to get a better, more reliable, faster and cheaper broadband service here in Kilcoole we need to have more people signing up to U*C and leave the more expensive S*Y behind who I might add provide there British customers with broadband but do not supply there Irish customers with it, and get U*C broadband in this town. (phone broadband and tv)

Ps I am not blowing U*C's horn for them as you might be thinking this is not a publicity ploy to have more people sign up to there service. No I am just an ordinary joe soap who just wants a fast, effecient, cheap broadband service in this area.

So thats the rambling over, what a post for my first thread :):)

Tune is for my next ramblings, coming soon to a thread near you.

Matjay

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

they would completly monoplise the tv and internet market if they werent so short sighted, sure a low take up area might cost them, but what if half those households switch to UPC tv on a bundle?

take a chance UPC, take a hit on the next few years figures and wire the whole country, and you will make a mint

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭carm

Not in Kilcoole? They're not even available in Dundrum, Ballinteer or Dublin 16. An area with a huge population and one of the biggest shopping centres in Dublin? Eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

a lot of people here would treat ISP names as swear words, but i don't think you need to star them all out. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭surf board

carm wrote: »
    Not in Kilcoole? They're not even available in Dundrum, Ballinteer or Dublin 16. An area with a huge population and one of the biggest shopping centres in Dublin? Eh?

Where abouts are you? My folks in Ballinteer (woodpark), and friends in the surrounding area have UPC bband, phone & HD!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

You would be very unlucky not to be able to avail of upc triple play service in Dublin 16. Most of it is enable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭matjay

Alot of areas now have the triple service from UPC, its just that some places have more Sky customers than UPC and the big wigs do not justify running the new fibrewire cable to these areas seeing that there are minimal clientèle to avail of the service. I was told by an installation tech that the more people that get UPC digital tv in the areas that dont have the triple service, the more likely they are to run the new fibrewire to the same areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,484 ✭✭✭Nollog

matjay wrote: »
    Alot of areas now have the triple service from UPC, its just that some places have more Sky customers than UPC and the big wigs do not justify running the new fibrewire cable to these areas seeing that there are minimal clientèle to avail of the service. I was told by an installation tech that the more people that get UPC digital tv in the areas that dont have the triple service, the more likely they are to run the new fibrewire to the same areas.

Is fibrewire what they call their regular internet line, or is it real fibre-to-the-door?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

carm wrote: »

I'm in Dundrum and have UPC, 30mb broadband. Works perfectly i might add.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Is fibrewire what they call their regular internet line, or is it real fibre-to-the-door?
    i'm pretty sure it's a made up word to describe something when you can't remember the real name of it like interwebs.

as far as I'm aware, UPC are still calling their broadband services ''fibrepower'' not "fibrewire".

unless something has drastically changed in their advertising, but its still called fibrepower everywhere on their website, even for the 100mbps upgrades which i'm pretty sure are still only FTTC (just using EuroDOCSIS v3.0 for the extra speed on the same infrastructure) not FTTH.

at least i think so. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Xzen

This whole "fiber power" (sounds like it should be in a power-diet cereal box :D ) is in fact a partial fiber network combined with the existing Cable TV/Internet network.

They lay a backbone of Fiber line to major areas, towns and cities and in some cases large estates. From there they branch the fiber line into the more common and cheaper Coaxial/Cable for the last few meters or KMs to your home.
    This reduced distance of copper cable means less signal interference and loss, which in turn means faster net. Add to that, the new DOCSIS protocol they started using and you can get speeds up to ~400Mb/s in the not too distant future :)

• Advertisement

they actually didn't lay the fibre in my area, it was part of the 'rural broadband scheme' from a few years ago and there was an EU grant to install MAN fibre rings around Navan and a few other big towns around the country and afaik UPC are renting that off the people managing it rather than laying the fibre themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

At best it's Fibre to Node / HFC. But it's fairly real unlike Eircom's fake NGB.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056181779

Coax part is getting upgraded to 560MHz or 860MHz approx rather than just up to 450MHz. Each Analogue channel ditched gives about 50Mbps or more of capacity for Digital TV or Modem download. They can upgrade the coax downlink from thus about 42 x 8MHz RF channels analogue to 88 x 8MHz RF Channels Digital, if there are about 12 digital TV channels on each TV channel (possible), then for 240 TV stations, you need 240/12 = 10 RF channels leaving 78 for Modems.

Even if Modems only had 40 channels, that would be approximately 50 x 40 = 2000 Mbps,. or 2Gbps share amongst the number of users actually doing stuff on the same piece of Coax. At 100Mbps package at 10:1 contention (which is excellent contention) then 200 customers can be on one cable node fed by fibre.

It's a pretty good upgrade.

Obviously as they need more capacity for Modems or HDTV, the Analogue channels will get the chop.
    15MHz to 45MHz or 5MHz to 65MHz is used for the Modems' upstream connection. Which is why to Broadband enable they have to swap all the Trunk Amplifiers that did Band I & Band III Analogue TV downstream for dual Trunk amplifiers with 5MHz to 65MHz upstream and 87MHz (or 110MHz) to 870MHz downstream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Cablecom recently achieved a record internet speed of 1.37 Gbps over a standard coax TV cable. Granted it was in the Lab but it show what's capable. It looks like it relegate eircom's offering to mid-band status?.

Link

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

DingDong wrote: »
    Cablecom recently achieved a record internet speed of 1.37 Gbps over a standard coax TV cable. Granted it was in the Lab but it show what's capable. It looks like it relegate eircom's offering to mid-band status?.

Link
    At this speed, customers could potentially download a HD film in less than five seconds

Awww, five seconds, but I want it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mccarrd2

Pine Valley in Ballinteer doesnt have the FibrePower, but other parts of Ballinteer do (Broadford). On the UPC coverage map that part of Ballinteer us "Ballinteer 2".

I know PV is addressed Rathfarnham!!

http://www.upc.ie/customer_support/network_improvements/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

mccarrd2 wrote: »
    Pine Valley in Ballinteer doesnt have the FibrePower, but other parts of Ballinteer do (Broadford). On the UPC coverage map that part of Ballinteer us "Ballinteer 2".

I know PV is addressed Rathfarnham!!

http://www.upc.ie/customer_support/network_improvements/

Had no idea what thread this was when i got an email from boards about it. It's from over a year ago buddy.

Make sure not to dig up all threads.

Advertisement