Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Buying Patio Doors

• 06-02-2011 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi there,

We've just bought a house that needs quite a bit of work done to it and we need to buy a sliding door made from uPVC or alluminium!! We'd like it to look like the attached photo I found.

Can anyone advise on which type of window is best (we don't want wood though as durable and low maintenance suits us)!? and if it makes a difference it will be west facing.

Also what is the general thinking of double glaze v's trpile glazing from a BER and sound proof point of view...is is worth the extra money to go triple?

Also where might we get the best possbile deal on a cream coloured sliding door?

Does anyone know how much it might cost to make the hole in the wall and fit the doors?

All advice greatly appreciated as I don't have a clue!! confused.gif
    Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Soulsista wrote: »
    I don't have a clue!! confused.gif

Your words not mine!

1st required clue, where are u living?
    2nd required clue: what size is the ope and door.
    3rd required clue: is there an existing window there or is this a new ope
    4th required clue: single or double storey where ope will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Soulsista

Hi there,

Sorry..I'm in Co. Wicklow. Sliding door will be approx 3 metres in length and currently it is a solid wall downstairs in a 2 story dormer. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Hi, If I read your posts right you need to be careful, and take structural advice.

Creating a 3M opening in whats a solid wall in a 2 storey house, is not as simple as it sounds. If there was a window then a concrete head, or lintle will keep whats above the opening in place, allowing the window to be removed and the wall under the window to be taken down, and the new door put in place.

With a new opening you need to consider the impact on whats keeping the wall above the opening from coming down, or causing a crack to appear.

I would recommend talking to an engineer and taking it from there, done properly, you will have no problems, but take advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Soulsista

martinn123 wrote: »
    Hi, If I read your posts right you need to be careful, and take structural advice.

Creating a 3M opening in whats a solid wall in a 2 storey house, is not as simple as it sounds. If there was a window then a concrete head, or lintle will keep whats above the opening in place, allowing the window to be removed and the wall under the window to be taken down, and the new door put in place.

With a new opening you need to consider the impact on whats keeping the wall above the opening from coming down, or causing a crack to appear.

I would recommend talking to an engineer and taking it from there, done properly, you will have no problems, but take advice.

Oh don't worry...we've done all that (thanks for the tip though) ...now we're at the stage of just trying to put together what kind of cost we could be looking at so any thoughts???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

OK

so you have taken advice from a Structural Engineer, no doubt paid a fee, good. One question he/she should have advised you is the approximate cost of creating the opening.

I would have thought a couple of grand, done properly.

Now the cost of the door, you need to consider material, uPVC, Aluminium, Timber, Alu/Clad, all available in Cream, and the spec. of glass Double/Triple Glazed, make sure its Toughened.

Best way to proceed would be to get some quotes, as again I imagine you could pay anything from 2-5 Grand depending on the spec. of a 3M Slider.

Questions like is it worth paying the extra for Triple Glazing may come down to your budget.

Suggest you get some quotes and post in the Prices/Costs section, in Construction, where you can name Companies

Good Luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 whatname??

Hi Soulsista,
    Just wondering how you got on with the patio doors? We recently moved into a house with single glazed sliding doors and want to change them as it's been a bit cold!!! Not sure whether to go for sliding, french or folding doors - folding probably too expensive though...

If you have any advice based on your own experience it would be great if you could let me know. Thanks!

M

Advertisement