Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long term rental and house maintenance

Options
  • 06-02-2011 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

We have been renting our house for over seven years now, and in that time the landlord has replaced one washing machine, one dishwasher and a chair. The whole place is looking very tired now, needing repainting and new carpets. Do we have any legal rights to this, when we moved in he told us he maintained his properties regularly. We could also do with some new furniture, we have replaced some bits ourselves, but the sofas, for example are knackered. I'm guessing he won't want to lose us as tenats as we have been troublefree tenants. Does anyone have any advice? We haven't (yet) asked for a rent reduction, as he never increased it, so we are probably paying just over market rent now.

Argh just notice the type in the title!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Discuss with landlord.

If a good seven-year tenant came to me with what you say above, I'd probably offer to contribute a months rent to a redecoration, provided the carpet was neutral and the paint was all white.

I'd ask for receipts though, not due to trust but due to tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭beanhead

tbh a months rent is not enough to repaint/refresh the accomodation. for a 2-bed apt that could be in the order of 1200 or so, you *might* just squeeze in quickly-paint & cheap carpet for that, just about.

7 years no trouble tenants? he would(read should) give the place a proper refresh - 2 months to keep you

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

After that period of time, a repaint is probably in order. Depending on the total age of the carpet, a shampooing might be more appropriate. The sofa could be re-upholstered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

beanhead wrote: »
    tbh a months rent is not enough to repaint/refresh the accomodation. for a 2-bed apt that could be in the order of 1200 or so, you *might* just squeeze in quickly-paint & cheap carpet for that, just about.

You may be right... depends on the place. Most of my places in the past have been pretty fresh between tenancies... I recall doing a deal for 1/2 rent for 3 months where the tenant wanted to redecorate himself. Suited everybody well.
    beanhead wrote: »
    7 years no trouble tenants? he would(read should) give the place a proper refresh - 2 months to keep you

I already price low to get good tenants but 7 years would be awesome. I might stretch to 2 months rent particularly if it was a house not an apartment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 glasto

Its a three bedroomed/three bathroom house with a sperate dining room, I don't think a months rent would be enough to get it sorted! It needs to be repainted, all the carpets are worn out and the sofa is coming away from the frame at the back. Its a cheap DFS sofa so I doubt its worth reupholstering since it is at least eight years old ( it was in the house for the previous tenants). Would it be a good idea to invite him round ro see just how grotty the place is looking, no matter how much I clean it is embarrassing to invite people round as it just looks grubby and tired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

glasto wrote: »
    Would it be a good idea to invite him round ro see just how grotty the place is looking
    I think thats a good idea.

Advertisement