Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do digital radios work?

• 06-02-2011 6:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭

Simple question for likewise guy, How do digital radios work?
    1. Do they require an internet connection and stream content from online?
    2. Do they receive radio channels vis DTT broadcasts?
    or
    3. Both of the above? (or some other method?)

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭JDxtra

They use DAB. At the moment, only the RTE stations are onboard. You will get a lot more via FM, online, or via a television set top box (UPC/Sky).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭cml387

Actually both in some cases.

DAB radios are available,but also radios that stream from the internet via your wireless router.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

There are radio's now you can get that are have wireless capability as well as DAB.
    By turning them on and initially setting them up to access your net, they can then broadcast world stations via a transportable radio around the home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭cml387

Biggins wrote: »
    There are radio's now you can get that are have wireless capability as well as DAB.
    By turning them on and initially setting them up to access your net, they can then broadcast world stations via a transportable radio around the home.

I have a Roberts internet radio.Initially I thought I'd be listening to all kinds of exotic stations,but instead I just listen to BBC radio 4 and Classic FM:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,961 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Any of them use the Radiotime back-end? I use Tune In on my Android phone and find it great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

JDxtra wrote: »
    They use DAB. At the moment, only the RTE stations are onboard. You will get a lot more via FM, online, or via a television set top box (UPC/Sky).

DAB? Is this the radio bit of DTT?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

dnme wrote: »
    DAB? Is this the radio bit of DTT?

No

So what is DAB?

Is it a terrestrial broadcast?
    Is it an online stream?
    It is an apple pie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

DAB is Digital Audio Broadcasting.

There are quite a few different technologies and systems that could be described as digital radio. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_radio

Yeah...em not really there yet.... lets try these questions.

Is DAB broadcast as a terrestrial signal?

When I tune in DTT channels on my TV, I get a selection of Radio channels also. Are these being sent via DAB and if so does than mean that my TV is both DTT and DAB equipped?

• Advertisement

dnme wrote: »
    Is DAB broadcast as a terrestrial signal?
    Yes. There was a provision for broadcasting DAB via satellite (S-DAB) but I don't think it was ever used.
    When I tune in DTT channels on my TV, I get a selection of Radio channels also. Are these being sent via DAB and if so does than mean that my TV is both DTT and DAB equipped?
    No. DTT in Ireland uses the DVB-T standard. The radio channels are compressed digital audio streams that have been multiplexed into a DVB-T signal for transmission.

Thanks Snowbat, Now I get it.

OK, here's a new question. I have a set top box that receives satellite and is also a webserver (VU+ duo) so I can stream TV and Radio onto my laptop using VLC etc.

I would like to listen to a London station when heading off to bed. I don't want to have to have a laptop beside me with fans, screen etc.

Can I get a digital radio that will pull the stream via my IP network to itself? a wireless ip device that can handle streams that look like this
    h**p://192.168.0.23:1222/web/stream.m3u?ref=1%3A0%3A2%3ACB3D%3A907%3A2%3A11A0000%3A0%3A0%3A0%3A

Assuming stream.m3u contains a pointer to an mp3 stream, I think most internet radios / network audio players should be able to handle it (enter a custom URL).

Do you have any particular model in mind?

Edit: CNET calls what you're looking for a 'Wi-Fi radio' - here's a roundup http://reviews.cnet.com/best-wifi-radios/

Many thanks again Snowbat,

Yea from my days living in London, I used to listen to LBC at night in bed, ah years ago now. But wouldn't it be cool to be able to do that again... and at zero cost.

Radio would be coming in via satellite and I am using my local lan to get it to some small radio device that could sit beside my bed. I'll have a look at that link of yours. This kinda device would make a great gruppy or ibood.

EDIT: :confused::eek:
    Jezus H Christ I have just seen the prices of these puppies. I can do without, will keep an eye on ebay and adverts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

LBC is available on free to air satellite as are many UK stations. You could connect one of those small FM transmitters that people use for MP3 players to the back of your satellite set top box. LBC would be available on FM in your house!

BrianD wrote: »
    LBC is available on free to air satellite as are many UK stations. You could connect one of those small FM transmitters that people use for MP3 players to the back of your satellite set top box. LBC would be available on FM in your house!

I dont think the range is that great on those fm transmitters is it? no more than a couple of feet last one I used.

Advertisement