Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my router working properly?

Options
  • 06-02-2011 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

I just want to know why I get the message 'Windows cannot find host name www.google.ie using DNS' when it was working previously ( linksys wireless G). I took it to a computer retail outlet and it connected to their service no bother? I am not a technical person so be patient here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Pjfc37

dont quote me on this but i believe thats your ISP ( internet service provider) you probably should contact whoever your getting your internet off and see i they cut you off for any reason

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

jupiter00 wrote: »
    I just want to know why I get the message 'Windows cannot find host name www.google.ie using DNS' when it was working previously ( linksys wireless G).

Are you able to access any websites at all? Are you connecting via wireless or cable? It could be for any number of reasons but we'll need more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 RogueFaye

I just want to know why I get the message 'Windows cannot find host name www.google.ie using DNS' when it was working previously ( linksys wireless G). I took it to a computer retail outlet and it connected to their service no bother? I am not a technical person so be patient here.

I wonder if you have specified your own DNS in your network properties...should try set it to Obtain DNS automatically.
    Do u know how/where to check on this in windows? if not we'll try guide you through step by step. which windows version u using?

Check HERE for reference, try setting everything to Auto and let DHCP handle it,

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭jupiter00

I'm using windows vista and its cable to the pc (at the moment, instead of the router) and wireless in the house. I have no idea how to check the 'configuration' on the router or to set it to automatically set dns /or new dns so any advice would be great so I could give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 RogueFaye

I'm using windows vista and its cable to the pc (at the moment, instead of the router) and wireless in the house. I have no idea how to check the 'configuration' on the router or to set it to automatically set dns /or new dns so any advice would be great so I could give it a try.

Check THIS , You can ignore configuring the IPV6 ,just go to IPV4 and set everything to automatic.

In step2, make sure you're right clicking on the correct adapter.
    That is, if you're PC is connecting to the router via a network cable, u right click on the Local area connection, and obviously if you're on wireless then right click on the wireless network connection. You can do it on both as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭jupiter00

Thanks very much for this info I will try it out and I hope this post may be useful to others.

Advertisement