Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

seized screw, advice needed

• 06-02-2011 7:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi all
    One of the limit screws, as illustrated, on my rear mech is stuck. Can anyone please recommend how I may go about un seizing the offending screw without damaging it or any other part of the derailleur.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭paddymacsporran

spray it liberally with wd-40, GT85 or similar and let it work in, its not like you could heat it at all with the carbon cage.....

Other option could be bathing it in light oil over a period of time to release it perhaps, best off the bike....

Presume it's stuck due to water/salt/crap off the roads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭smush76

thanks paddy, Ive removed the faceplate, I'll start with the wd-40 and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

Some home heating oil or petrol poured over then soak same in a cloth and wrap around around the mech and leave for a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

+1 WD40

Try spraying it then let it soak in for 30 mins give it another spray wait another 30 mins and try the screw, if it won't move keep going with the spray and waiting, should eventually move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Where are you based? I have penetrating oil in my car that makes mincemeat of WD40, it'll free up anything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

WD40 is not an easing oil, its a water dispersant with some lubricating abilities but not great as a penetrating oil. Diesel is much better, or plusgas if you can get it. Have you tried an impact driver on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

-Chris- wrote: »
    Where are you based? I have penetrating oil in my car that makes mincemeat of WD40, it'll free up anything!

where did you get that btw? - I have a stuck stem that requires penetrating oil and the guys on the Motors forum haven't been much help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

It's BG In Force. You won't find it in shops unfortunately because we only sell wholesale. The lads in the workshops absolutely swear by it.

I can't sell it to you, but if you're on my route I'll gladly let you use some of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭smush76

thanks all for the replies and offers of help, wd-40 did the trick in the end although it was several hours before the screw finally moved with a little filing of the screw head to get a decent grip after an initial ham fisted effort made it a little difficult to maintain a good grip. Issue arose from switching groupset to a new frame. Transmission sorted :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

macnab wrote: »
    WD40 is not an easing oil, its a water dispersant with some lubricating abilities but not great as a penetrating oil. Diesel is much better, or plusgas if you can get it. Have you tried an impact driver on it?

WD40 only has lubricating properties until it begins to evaporate to leave behind a protective coating. This evaporation happens quite soon. Its not a good lube at all.
    It however is a excellent penetrant, and has done the job here.

It is a good water dispersant (WD meand Water Dispersant, and was designed to prevent corrosion on rockets)

Also why the **** would you leave a petrol soaked rag on anything!:eek: Mental stuff! Wouldnt leave fuel lying around the place uncontained.

Regular maintenance will prevent seized parts :) only takes a few minutes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

kona wrote: »
    WD40 only has lubricating properties until it begins to evaporate to leave behind a protective coating. This evaporation happens quite soon. Its not a good lube at all.
    It however is a excellent penetrant, and has done the job here.

It is a good water dispersant (WD meand Water Dispersant, and was designed to prevent corrosion on rockets)

Also why the **** would you leave a petrol soaked rag on anything!:eek: Mental stuff! Wouldnt leave fuel lying around the place uncontained.

Regular maintenance will prevent seized parts :) only takes a few minutes!

Spot on there.

You can make penetrating oil by mixing Acetone and Automatic Transition Fluid, its great stuff by all accounts.
    I have worked as a mechanical fitter for over 23 years and in that time I have used all kinds of oils. But rule no.1 is: Use the correct tool!! if you dont have the correct tool then dont try to use something close, unless you dont mind bodging the job, but then you end up with ugly fasteners on your bike.

Advertisement