Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cancelled Sky, all previously recorded programmes unplayable?

• 06-02-2011 7:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭

We dumped Sky as the cost is just far too high and we're happy enough moving to freesat etc.

I understand that the plus functionality of the sky hd box is part of the subscription (pause, rewind, record etc) and that's now gone but it seems that everything I had previously recorded (while I was paying a subscription) is now unplayable?

Surely that can't be right or even legal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

No, that's how Sky operate. The programmes in your player are only available as long as you keep the subscription active. The contents on the disk are encrypted, and can't be decoded without an active subscription, which you no longer have.

It's the same as if you have Sky Movies for a month and record a bunch of stuff then drop the movie channels - you are no longer able to watch those recorded films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Seeing as all the stuff you had recorded was part of your subscription and was deemed to be pay tv,it becomes unwatchable after you cancel as you are no longer paying for the service.This was always the way,you used to pay for the right to view it and now no longer do so and as a result your recordings are lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I'm not a sky apologist, but it seems reasonable to me.

The sub includes some contribution to a time-delay broadcast of the channels. Also it would be possible to assemble a massive library of movies etc through filesharing etc but having them on your sky box makes them somehow 'legal'.

You could whip out the hard disk and caddy it to your PC... copy over the .ts files and play them via VLC or similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Thanks for the prompt replies. So thats sky policy eh?

Still seems somewhat dubious to me to be honest. Most of what I wanted to watch was from channels such as bbc and rte which will be readily recordable once I pick up a foxsat box or similar.

I bought, and paid for, a piece of hardware with certain functionality. I then paid for a subscription to view various services.

Once the subscription is canceled the hardware is essentially remotely disabled and the already paid for recordings blocked?

Oh well, so long sky.... can't say i'll miss ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Bluehair wrote: »
    Once the subscription is canceled the hardware is essentially remotely disabled and the already paid for recordings blocked?

Yep. I have a Sky+ HD and a Sky+ box both sitting here useless. I don't like the idea of having lots of encrypted channels in between the FTA channels. I paid for both and did not get them through Sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

This is why I never upgraded to Sky+.

It's inherent in the design that extra encryption added to all channels, pay or free and then the one or two layers of encryption are decoded only by valid key. So even FTA never works for record/Replay without card & subscription. Yet you own the box.

So you really only rented the recording/playback software. The box without subscription is a "freesat like" FTA tuner. You can set up to 50 favorites to have an uncluttered FTA only EPG.

That's what it does and always been like that, except originally not even Favorites.

At least as Watty pointed out,you can use the box for fta viewing.With cable tv when you cancel that's it, bye bye tv forcing you to fork out for an alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

It makes sense for Sky to do this. Otherwise you would have people adding movies to their pack for one month, recording everything possible, then cancelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

On the flip side you can record movies when not subscribed and then view them when you subscribe later down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

3DataModem wrote: »
    I'm not a sky apologist, but it seems reasonable to me.

The sub includes some contribution to a time-delay broadcast of the channels. Also it would be possible to assemble a massive library of movies etc through filesharing etc but having them on your sky box makes them somehow 'legal'.

You could whip out the hard disk and caddy it to your PC... copy over the .ts files and play them via VLC or similar.

Is it really that simple? Are those files not encrypted at that level?

• Advertisement

drBill wrote: »

The only recordings viewable are fta ones using copy+ unless you are upgrading a hard drive in a sky+ box and are simply transferring them to said hard drive.
    Otherwise as drBill says they are encrypted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

watty wrote: »
    This is why I never upgraded to Sky+.

It's inherent in the design that extra encryption added to all channels, pay or free and then the one or two layers of encryption are decoded only by valid key. So even FTA never works for record/Replay without card & subscription. Yet you own the box.

So you really only rented the recording/playback software. The box without subscription is a "freesat like" FTA tuner. You can set up to 50 favorites to have an uncluttered FTA only EPG.

That's what it does and always been like that, except originally not even Favorites.

For what it's worth I might add that the UK EPG can now no longer be used since the upgrade so for them free channels you'll have to go in to "Other Channels".

I've had a rough time trying to explain to the family even just how to access them since everyone is still so used to the method where you press a number and get a channel.

drBill wrote: »

As explained earlier the channels are recorded with ORIGINAL encryption. The channel is recorded "as is" with an extra encryption added.

So without the key you can't even play FTA content in a PC. The extra key is known, so you can strip the extra encryption. But any non-FTA channels still need to play via CAM and active Sky viewing sub for the channel as the Broadcast Encryption is secure.

It would be illegal in Ireland to decode the Broadcast Encryption other than via Sky's subscription and viewing card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Hi Guys what would the happen if I bought a Sky+HD box private will it work or will Sky know that I have it, also does that box record. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

Do you have UPC broadband Bluehair? as far as I'm aware if you do you can run a cable from the box to your tv and get about 15 basic channels or so, that along with the sky box you have would give you a whole lotta channels for free.

It's not a very technical explanaition though, sorry, I'm sure someone here might be able to word what I mean better.

Without a sub a SkyHD box has no recording/playback, sky know nothing and iot only gets free channels.
    Unless you are going to subscribe a Freesat HD PVR is a better buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Dymo

For what it's worth I might add that the UK EPG can now no longer be used since the upgrade so for them free channels you'll have to go in to "Other Channels".

I've had a rough time trying to explain to the family even just how to access them since everyone is still so used to the method where you press a number and get a channel.

Is this in a recent upgrade? I have a Sky Box with no card for the last year in it and they come in as BBC, ITV, CH4 etc in 101, 102 ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

Dymo wrote: »
    Is this in a recent upgrade? I have a Sky Box with no card for the last year in it and they come in as BBC, ITV, CH4 etc in 101, 102 ...

yes , only in the last week or 2. think its only the hd boxes. (although i havn't tried it)

John mac wrote: »
    yes , only in the last week or 2. think its only the hd boxes. (although i havn't tried it)

It affects HD boxes only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

zerks wrote: »
    It affects HD boxes only.

Phew! just plugged in an old sky box the other week, and was getting used to having the standard UK channel line up with it. I did wonder if it would do any kind of update seeing as its about 4 years since it was used.

• Advertisement
Advertisement