Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Insurance

Options
  • 06-02-2011 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

Basically, I left my iPhone behind/fell out of my pocket in either McDonalds or on the walk home - I'm covered with 3cover but looking at the t&c I may not be covered for accidental loss?

http://three.ie/pdf/insurance/3Cover%20Pre%20Pay%20Monthly.pdf

It states that, in the exclusions section:
    Accidental Loss or Theft of the Equipment whilst left Unattended when it is
    away from your home.

does this mean that, they will only cover me for accidental loss in my home? If it was in my home it wouldn't be lost as I would know the location - this seems a bit scammy to me unless I misinterpreted it. And it wouldn't be 'lost' if it was in your home.

If anyone could help me understand this I would be grateful.

thank you,

Kevin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Kevin! wrote: »
    Basically, I left my iPhone behind/fell out of my pocket in either McDonalds or on the walk home - I'm covered with 3cover but looking at the t&c I may not be covered for accidental loss?

http://three.ie/pdf/insurance/3Cover%20Pre%20Pay%20Monthly.pdf

It states that, in the exclusions section:

does this mean that, they will only cover me for accidental loss in my home? If it was in my home it wouldn't be lost as I would know the location - this seems a bit scammy to me unless I misinterpreted it. And it wouldn't be 'lost' if it was in your home.

If anyone could help me understand this I would be grateful.

thank you,

Kevin.

I think you are covered.

If you leave your phone at home, go out, and the phone is stolen from your home....that unattended theft is covered.

If you left the phone on the table in McDonalds and went home.....that unattended theft/loss is not covered.

That is how I am reading that exclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

I think you are covered.

If you leave your phone at home, go out, and the phone is stolen from your home....that unattended theft is covered.

If you left the phone on the table in McDonalds and went home.....that unattended theft/loss is not covered.

That is how I am reading that exclusion.

In the t&c they have loss and theft under two different subheaders though?

I would consider a robbery a theft, and a misplacement accidental loss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I would split the exclusion wording as;
    'Accidental Loss when it is away from your home'
    and
    'Theft of equipment whilst left unattended when it is away from your home'.

Since you can't say for certain that it was stolen, you are left with the Accidental Loss option and the wording says it is excluded. Accidental loss is defined as accidently left by you at a location and I would consider it falling from your person unknowingly as being left by you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

oldyouth wrote: »
    I would split the exclusion wording as;
    'Accidental Loss when it is away from your home'
    and
    'Theft of equipment whilst left unattended when it is away from your home'.

Since you can't say for certain that it was stolen, you are left with the Accidental Loss option and the wording says it is excluded. Accidental loss is defined as accidently left by you at a location and I would consider it falling from your person unknowingly as being left by you.

God, these people are really sly. You would think paying a tener a month and 30e excess they would be able to provide you with such a service - which I thought they did due to their misleading wording.

Thanks anyways,

Kevin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Kevin! wrote: »
    God, these people are really sly. You would think paying a tener a month and 30e excess they would be able to provide you with such a service - which I thought they did due to their misleading wording.

Thanks anyways,

Kevin.
    Hi Kevin, I just think that my reading of it is as I have stated. The only way to be sure is to submit the claim. They can't just refuse it without giving their interpretaion of the wording. If they can't be clear about it, there is a law relating to insurance wordings that if anything can be interpreted in more than one way, it has to fall for the benefit of the policyholder.

I personally think it is clear but you never know your luck

Advertisement