Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking a year out before Uni?

• 06-02-2011 9:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭

Thinking of taking a year out before uni to work and for a bit of travel, as well as to achieve a few personal goals.

I know for some people there's the worry of never going back to education but I know my parents won't let me do that.

Any opinions? Good idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Digits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

yeah, as digits said. White box it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

marko93 wrote: »
    yeah, as digits said. White box it...

What the hell does white box it mean?! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

Thinking of taking a year out before uni to work and for a bit of travel, as well as to achieve a few personal goals.

I know for some people there's the worry of never going back to education but I know my parents won't let me do that.

Any opinions? Good idea?

As long as you're sure you'll go back, I don't see the problem. While travelling in Australia last year, I met plenty 18 year olds on a year out before uni. It seems a very common thing to do if you come from a country where English isn't the first language, but in that situation you can say you were "learning English". I suppose the usual arguments against it are you'll find it difficult to settle back into studying. I think that's a question only you can answer. It's a very individual thing. Another common time to do it is after college. The advantage of that is when you go travelling you might be able to get a better job with a degree, not necessarily at the moment, but in 4 years time when you're finished, things should hopefully be looking a lot better. I suppose if you have a burning desire to travel, 4 years is an eternity and you may prefer to go now. I think it might even be looked on favorably by employers later on, because it takes maturity to go travelling straight after school. If you do it after college some employers can think you're just putting off the real world of getting a job, and it's not particularly impressive at that age unless you've done something great with the time. This is just my guess.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

What the hell does white box it mean?! :o
    digits tryed to post a video, when you put in the wrong code, it will show a white box. My attempt at humour failed. :o

If its any help. I done 4th year. I'm in 6th year now. I broke the stride and cant get back on the saddle. Finding it tough to even study with mocks on tuesday.

• Advertisement
Advertisement