Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Newcastle match fixing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Badly translated by google chrome:
    The crazy game between Newcastle and Arsenal on Saturday afternoon in the Premier League (4-4) has not finished talking. Today, it would even turn Interpol, to look closely at this meeting that saw the Magpies to join the Gunners, who led 4-0 after 26 minutes though gambling

Strong prevailing climate of suspicion around the game, which would have been on the sidelines of sports content with strange movements of money. Tomas Rosicky, the Czech midfielder for Arsenal came late in the game and led to two goals for Newcastle, would include in the viewfinder of Interpol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭Smokerkl

Will be very interesting to see what comes from that then??
    S..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

What a crock of Sh't !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Desire to Aspire

I honestly doubt there was any match-fixing involved. If so, who? The referee, the players?

I would put my house on the fact that nothing will come of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

****e, no match fixing. Just the usual arsenal defending tbh

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I honestly doubt there was any match-fixing involved. If so, who? The referee, the players?

I would put my house on the fact that nothing will come of this.

Well these two are the main ones doing the rounds on twitter.

I'll be amazed if it's true though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Oh God, Aresenal throw away an astonishing lead and had a bit of misfortune mid-week with an offside goal and suddenly they've been set up!

Ofcourse!

And every team plays like a rugby team JUST when they play Arsenal..

****ing softies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Kind of ironic the way this comes out not long after Fabregas' comments to the referee in the Everton game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

It's crap like this that this little fella was invented for. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Rumour has it some Geordie put £35million on a 4-4 draw ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Most likely BS but it's only a matter of time before someone either player or coach is exposed as being involved in match fixing. Way to much money involved in the game to think otherwise. It's human nature for people to be greedy simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Smokin_Aces

Lornen wrote: »
    Oh God, Aresenal throw away an astonishing lead and had a bit of misfortune mid-week with an offside goal and suddenly they've been set up!

Ofcourse!

And every team plays like a rugby team JUST when they play Arsenal..

****ing softies.

It's interpol that could be investigating, not Arsenal. Read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

It's near impossible to fix the result of a football match, you'd need to bribe far more than one player and there's too many variables. Any dodgy betting is normally on daft stuff like time of first corner, booking that kind of thing. I'm certain this story will come to nothing.

And it's not like you can fix Tiote scoring a late screamer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Bah, Interpol are just clueless. They reckon 'No-one backs a 4-4 draw from 4-0 down'

Really though, anyone that gambles and regularly watches Arsenal knew exactly what to do with their internet and credit card once Diaby went off. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Interpol clearly don't watch Arsenal on a regular basis...:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Anyone who has ever read the book "The Fix" by Declan Hill cannot possibly be too surprised the day this kind of thing is exposed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭sonic85

eagle eye wrote: »
    Kind of ironic the way this comes out not long after Fabregas' comments to the referee in the Everton game.

cesc didnt say anything to the referee though it was a comment aimed at the fourth official. after the game david moyes made a huge deal out of cesc abusing the ref but it never happened:

On Thursday Wenger said that he believed it was "wrong" that Moyes "came out on what he pretends to have heard in the tunnel". He argued that he had been with the referee during half-time and therefore he was "adamant" that Fabregas "did not talk to the referee at all". Moyes, however, did not take kindly to Wenger's riposte and clarified to which official he believed Fabregas's comments had been directed: "To question Everton's integrity and to question David Moyes' integrity and to actually say you thought David Moyes didn't hear it or see it. Well, I tell you, I heard and saw it because I was standing there. It was directed at the fourth official and the fourth official is part of the referee's team."

so id argue moyes is full of sh!te and is basically a liar. some reports said cesc asked the fourth official how much was he being paid. hardly abuse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

When was the last time Rosicky had any influence on a game???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,234 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Dowd does have that kind of face though, doesn't he?
    He does look dodgy and thats all the proof I need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I think it is more a case of Arsenal wishing they could go back and fix that match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

There could well be something in this, considering that absolutely awful decision to award Newcastle a penalty when Rosicky had the audacity to jump for the ball in the box.

Not really, but if only :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

All bollocks.

The match changed on Diaby acting like a twat and being really thick and Phil Dowd winning the worst ref iv ever seen award.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

mixednuts wrote: »
    What? lol really?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Predalien wrote: »
    It's near impossible to fix the result of a football match, you'd need to bribe far more than one player and there's too many variables. Any dodgy betting is normally on daft stuff like time of first corner, booking that kind of thing. I'm certain this story will come to nothing.
    Not making a comment on this particular instance, but what you've said there is completely incorrect. Football matches have been rigged in Italy and all over Eastern Europe and many other places regularly for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

[ros4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

mixednuts wrote: »

apparently 1000/1 at halftime for a 4-4. So now we have 35 billion and Ashley owns the premier league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

This seems to be picking up pace, Rosicky is alleged to have threw the game too (keeping Newcastle players onside, giving away free kicks), Arsenal are to release a statement tomorrow. Lots of updates on Gabriele Marcotti's twitter page @Marcotti

This seems to be picking up pace, Rosicky is alleged to have threw the game too (keeping Newcastle players onside, giving away free kicks), Arsenal are to release a statement tomorrow. Lots of updates on Gabriele Marcotti's twitter page @Marcotti

If this is true, I hope he gets a very severe punishment. This type of behavior needs to be stamped out of football, and he should get a lifelong ban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

CSF wrote: »
    Not making a comment on this particular instance, but what you've said there is completely incorrect. Football matches have been rigged in Italy and all over Eastern Europe and many other places regularly for years.

Germany too
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundesliga_scandal_%282005%29

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I wonder if any of the bookies have a book open on this as too wheater this is true or not !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Its obviously no fix, from the second Newcastle scored their first people realised a comeback was possible given Arsenals defense and troubles holding on to a lead.

Irregular betting patterns my arse, more of a trend, I myself jumped on a draw at 4-2 priced at 20/1, unfortunately only stuck a euro on it.

Asides from this, I heard a good joke about the situation today:

The RSPCA have acted quickly after the weekend's events in Newcastle . If you see an Arsenal fan with a dog ask them to call 0859 4-0 4-1 4-2 4-3 4-4 for free advice about how to hold on to a lead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

Mister men wrote: »
    Most likely BS but it's only a matter of time before someone either player or coach is exposed as being involved in match fixing. Way to much money involved in the game to think otherwise. It's human nature for people to be greedy simple as that.
    The Epl is greed personified. 50 million quid for a boy to kick a ball.Id say god is looking down and shaking his head in disbelief.Coz I know I am.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,684 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Russia would probably be the worse for match fixing around

Bookies just wont have markets on certain matches

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

PARKHEAD67 wrote: »
    The Epl is greed personified. 50 million quid for a boy to kick a ball.Id say god is looking down and shaking his head in disbelief.Coz I know I am.:confused:

I'd say God was more shocked by the 35 million for Andy Carroll like the rest of us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I really doubt it was match fixing. More us just being hilariously shít.

Match fixing in the PL is unlikely because of the sums of money the players are paid.

How much would someone have to pay players and a ref to make it worth their while?
    Millions probably.
    The bet would run into millions and wouldnt be excepted anyway.

It happens in the WC with poor countries and in leagues in poorer countries but I doubt this tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I bet Fergie had something to do with this. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

PARKHEAD67 wrote: »

Where are you looking down from??:D
    I'd say God was more shocked by the 35 million for Andy Carroll like the rest of us

Nah, I thought it was a good bit of business to be honest.

I don't think Fowler was that shocked tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I don't think Fowler was that shocked tbh.

He's clearly talking about Bendtner!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'd be very surprised about this. Arsenal get a man sent off, their best defender gone off injured (replaced by a crap one), their only two holdng type midfielders missed the game through injury and looking increasingly shaky. As soon as Newcastle got the first I'm sure loads of people lobbed a couple of quid on a 4-4 draw. The odds were probably very long and worthy of a punt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Soemeone was having a laugh - there is to be no inquest

http://www.footanglais365.com/premier-league/article_496272_Arsenal-Newcastle-Aucune-enquete.shtml

The article says that Arsenal may sue - my money's on Diaby :D

Advertisement