Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ok I need advice..

• 06-02-2011 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

On filling out the CAO form i opted for a course that requires, 350.
    I currently am doing 4 pass and 3 honours.. Is this achievable or am I wasting my time? I really need advise on what is standard points i could get with my subjects and what type i am doing ( higher or ord ). And what I could achieve if I put in a extra bit of work?. I seen somewhere on this forum that even for a person doin 6 Honours its hard enough for them to scrape 440 mark?

Please give me some light lol
    all the best,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

it's been said before but I'll reiterate, only you know how well you can do. Can you see yourself getting 350+? How are your subjects going, and how much effort are you putting in?? I think you are well capable of achieving this if you put in the time and effort, but don't deceive yourself it will take time and effort. If you want something go for it, and have no regrets goodluck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 socster

I hope to achieve that amount of points, I have picked up my grades since deciding the amount of points I want to achieve, I hope to say this time next year i will have the good news lol :P
    thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

The only advice I can give you is that it's 'advice' not 'advise'

Im tired and stressed, i got a valid reason for incorrect spelling :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

Oh shiiii' son! I'm in the exact same boat as you. What I'm doing differently is, I'm preparing about 500000000000000000 back ups that will all lead to me eventually getting into college
    (excuse my slight exageration.)

also, your results and the amount of points you achieve at the end of the day all come down to how much you have put in.

• Advertisement

I know it will I just didnt want to have to high expectations of getting the required amount when realistically it wouldnt be possible, anybody get me? I just hope the course doesnt suddenly increase by 20 points.. Im not saying i wont study because thats all I will be doing from now til june

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

Of course it is possible. It's all down to how much work and effort you put in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

socster wrote: »
    On filling out the CAO form i opted for a course that requires, 350.
    I currently am doing 4 pass and 3 honours.. Is this achievable or am I wasting my time? I really need advise on what is standard points i could get with my subjects and what type i am doing ( higher or ord ). And what I could achieve if I put in a extra bit of work?. I seen somewhere on this forum that even for a person doin 6 Honours its hard enough for them to scrape 440 mark?

Please give me some light lol
    all the best,

Nobody here can tell you what you will get because nobody knows you or your ability. Only you know that. Write down what you think you can achieve in each subject putting in your very best effort and take it from there.

Don't choose course based on points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Well how are you doing in your subjects? If you work hard you can push yourself up a grade in anything, 350 is by no means out of the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Just work hard - and hopefully you'll be rewarded in the end. Don't choose a course based on points. Put the course you most want to do at number 1 - don't go fiddling around with it because you don't think you'll get it. It'd haunt you if you moved it down the form/took it off the form and it turned out you would've had enough points to get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I got 405 with that so it can be done. Just try your hardest, try get a high grade in a couple of the ordinary, don't just dismiss them as easy because they're ordinary. Try your hardest and it can be done, you just need to put in the work.

Good luck!

thanks everybody for the replies :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Put your dream course first and in order, go 'downwards' through the others.
    Who is to say that in June things will not go really well for you and you won't get your maximum points?

It makes no odds to the CAO computer if they have to go to your 7th choice to find one you get the points for. You don't want to be in a situation of taking a course that you had way over the points for, simply because you didn't have the faith in yourself to put a higher point course that you would have preferred as a higher choice.

Aim high rather than low.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭pancakes rule

It all depends on what you are doing, for example, someone might not be able to pass higher level maths, yet get an A at ordinary. There are massive differences in subjects, so when people have difficulty getting high marks when they are doing all honors, they might be talking about the fact that it could be much harder for them to get 50 points in an honours subject than 60 at ordinary level.
    How good would you say you are at your subjects?
    Do you have any kind of strategy? eg, my strategy for Irish is that I'm going to work my ass off to get full marks on paper two and in the oral, In business, I've studied everything topic per week and am just doing exam questions over and over again.
    How did you do in the mocks? Don't use your results as an indicator of how you'll do, but rather of what needs urgent attention in your studies.
    The most you can get is 540, so try to think of the best way to get that. Can you aim for a B3 at least in your honor subjects? Could you get A1s in your pass subjects?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

The most you can get is 540, so try to think of the best way to get that. Can you aim for a B3 at least in your honor subjects? Could you get A1s in your pass subjects?

The most you can get is 480.

Advertisement