Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cockle Harvesting

Options
  • 06-02-2011 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Anyone know anything about boats harvesting cockles commercially for 3 days in the backstrand last week, maybe Mon, Tue and Wed. Not sure how good the info is. This happenened again in 2007 and it was only through the local people putting pressure ion the politicians that it was stopped. Anyone know if the Minister has opened this area up to Commercial harvesting, if so the area will be decimated of ALL sea life in a few weeks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

As far as I know it's an area of conservation and can only be picked by hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

According to this, there's a ban in place.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2007/en/si/0533.html

I took the two coordinates fropm the statute into Google maps and this is what it came up with.
    The point on the right looks a bit strange but I think the idea is pretty clear.

attachment.php?attachmentid=148104&stc=1&d=1297769837

P.S. Took me all of two minutes on Google btw... ;)

. Neither an Irish sea fishing boat nor a person on board an Irish sea fishing boat, nor any person using any other harvesting method shall fish or attempt to fish, have on board, retain in their possession, land or attempt to land cockles harvested by any means for sale within the geographical area of Tramore Bay in the county of Waterford up to the high water mark north of a straight line drawn between the following points.

So as I read it you can't harvest comercially,so it's OK for people to pick for their own use ?

Dutch fellas with quad's with rakes behind them were run out of there last week.

Barnacle geese on the backstrand yesterday,what a place.:D I just love it.
    20110302cocles0001large.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭ianoo

marlin vs wrote: »
    Barnacle geese on the backstrand yesterday,what a place.:D I just love it.
    20110302cocles0001large.jpg
    are you sure they aren't BRENT geese marlin ???

ian

You'r more than likely right,they look like Brent after zooming in on the picture.they were quiet a bit away from me and I had the camera on full zoom to take the picture.I actually missed the main flock by the time I got the camera out.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭ianoo

yeah its just that you can get within 20yrds of them on the saleen side of the backstrand ,i must dig out some photos of them to be sure :)

ian

Advertisement