Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Mature Student Personal Statement

Options
  • 06-02-2011 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if anyone had any advise for writing a personal statement for UCD? I've applied online before the deadline but have still to send off my supporting documentation but I'm finding it really hard to express what I want on my personal statement.

I am hoping to study Art and Architectural History in UCD however I have absolutely NO experience working in this area or any previous qualifications. My previous college diploma doesn't have anything to do with the subject either and I'm worried that this will be held against me when applying.

Anyone have any tips or ideas that may help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Hi,
    Just in case - do you know that all supporting documentation needs to be send off within 7 working days of a completed online application?
    If you haven't come up with anything by now, maybe just wing it and be open and honest in your statement.
    Are you sure that nothing you have done is relevant to your course of interest? Anything is worth putting in there. There must be something in your life that has peaked your interest in Art?
    Any volunteer work is worth putting in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

I had to do a personal statement for UCD last year.
    I'd recommend starting with a little about yourself and what you're doing at the moment, list some skills that you have and say how these would help with your studying.
    Then go on and say why exactly you want to do this course. Don't mention UCD at all. Just focus on what you want to get out of this course. If you don't have much previous experience in the area then say what has you interested in studying it now.
    You need to really be yourself in the statement to make it stand out. Write exactly why you want to do the course. Why is it important to you personally? Dont write "well UCD is great so I want to study there" - they'll get loads so statements like that.
    Be sure to make it around 600 words and don't go over that.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭JaneLane

Thank you both so much!

I applied online on Tuesday so I know I'm cutting it fine getting everything sent off. I just haven't been able to put anything together because I've been discouraged about my lack of experience.

You're right though, I'm just going to go with it and see what happens. The worst thing I could have done was look on the internet at examples and sure they're all literary masterpieces! Talk about intimidation!

No more of that I think.

Thank you both again, I really appreciate it! :)

Advertisement