Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Warranty question

Options
  • 06-02-2011 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

I recently bought a 2010 car from a private seller and I need to get a job done on it. So my question is does any work that is done under the warranty have to be done at the garage where it was purchased new or can it be done at the dealer that is closest to me?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

technically any main dealer for the brand can do it...

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭steve french

Can they refuse to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

No, provided the warranty hasn't been voided by not servicing the car. They should be happy to do warranty work, as they'll get paid for it by the manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Anan1 wrote: »
    No, provided the warranty hasn't been voided by not servicing the car. They should be happy to do warranty work, as they'll get paid for it by the manufacturer.

"should be happy" unfortunately there are a small few who arent

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭steve french

It's a wheel bearing that I need to get done so I am presuming that it is Covered by the warranty?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

as was said, any main dealer of that brand will look after warranty work, provided it meets their criteria ( still within mileage limit, reasonable service record etc.). it doesnt matter of your the first owner or not.

in contrast to the above though, its all too easy for main dealers to lose money on warranty work, which makes some of them a little reluctant to take the work on, unless your a 'regular' with them. but they are obliged to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 HAPPIFEET

Hi- Iam really interested in this, Iam currently purchasing a 2010 car , I have 2 options on the same type of car( ( the car has a 2 year warrenty from new) , a recongised garage is selling me one for 25k and a private seller( he sells a few cars etc but I don't know anything about him ! ) for 23k , as ye know every little bit counts but the car from the private seller is an import, (BUT A HIGHER SPEC ) as I can see from the above replies I can get it checked anywhere if there is a problem? Is there anything else I have to consider as I don't know much about buying privately ! ,as I have only ever bought through a garage !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

HAPPIFEET wrote: »
    ........ and a private seller( he sells a few cars etc but I don't know anything about him ! )........

You're contradicting yourself If he sells "a few" cars, then he's a trader.

BTW, no seller, including a Garage/Dealer is obliged to give you a warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 HAPPIFEET

Im not sure, he is down on carzone and donedeal as private seller but when I contacted him he will accept a trade in as he says he sells a few cars also !!?? Im not from that area so I don't know !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

HAPPIFEET wrote: »
    Im not sure, he is down on carzone and donedeal as private seller but when I contacted him he will accept a trade in as he says he sells a few cars also !!?? Im not from that area so I don't know !!

Have you a link?

• Advertisement

I couldn't see a garage refusing Steven French :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

Guys, be very careful with warranties and second owners.

I had an 2007 in which I was the second owner ( in 2010, 3 year warranty ) and I was told by Renault, Liffey valley that my warranty was void as I was the second owner.

If your spending 20k plus, ring an authorised garage for peace of mind.

Advertisement