Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming Pool

Options
  • 06-02-2011 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Hey guys,

My friend and me think of going swimming soon. We were thinking of going to the Clarion but you have to were these hats. Please tell me that there is a swimming pool in Sligo where you don't have to wear these ridiculously looking hats.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Janine87 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

My friend and me think of going swimming soon. We were thinking of going to the Clarion but you have to were these hats. Please tell me that there is a swimming pool in Sligo where you don't have to wear these ridiculously looking hats.

I think it's a standard requirement of any of the pools that you have to wear the hats. I know the Sligo Park hotel does, and I'm pretty sure the pool in the Sports Complex requires them also. At least everybody else looks just as ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

sports complex insist on hats too, and rightly so!! swimming along and getting *someone else's* hair in yer mouth is not the most pleasant of experiences**, plus it keeps the filters free, saving on cleaning/repair costs etc.

**can't find a pukey smiley so this'll have to do - :P

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

Its a requirement for every pool in the country to wear a swimming hat. Its for hygiene and cleaniness sake. Believe me if you saw a busy pool after a day of people not wearing hats you'd be unlikely to swim there again.

Also the sports complex is the only pool you can use without a membership or being resident of the hotel. That is unless things have change in the past few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

cassi wrote: »
    Also the sports complex is the only pool you can use without a membership or being resident of the hotel. That is unless things have change in the past few months.
    Think you can use the Clarion if you're going in with a member, for a small fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

You can also use the Sligo Park if you are going with a member and pay to get in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

For the Yeats Hotel in Rosses point you don't have to be a member. €10 for unlimited Gym and Swim session. It's a lovely pool and mostly nice and quiet. Not as big as the Complex though.

thebuzz wrote: »
    Think you can use the Clarion if you're going in with a member, for a small fee.

OOps, yes my bad, you can go to most hotel leisure centers as a guest of a member for a fee! I remember the fee being 15 euro in the Clarion when it first opened up, although im sure its lower now. I didn't know you could use the yeats as a non member, its good they opened it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 shel92

anyone know what times the sports complex pool is open??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

OOps, yes my bad, you can go to most hotel leisure centers as a guest of a member for a fee! I remember the fee being 15 euro in the Clarion when it first opened up, although im sure its lower now. I didn't know you could use the yeats as a non member, its good they opened it up.

It's €8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

shel92 wrote: »
    anyone know what times the sports complex pool is open??

They have a different times for public use every day, their phone number is 071 91 60539 or you can pop in and pick up a timetable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

promethius wrote: »
    It's €8

You'd think Cassi would know better, she's worked in enough leisure centres in Sligo at this stage. :p

You'd think Cassi would know better, she's worked in enough leisure centres in Sligo at this stage. tongue.gif

Its been a while since I was on the leisure center scene Cloneslad alot has changed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Janine87

artyeva wrote: »
    sports complex insist on hats too, and rightly so!! swimming along and getting *someone else's* hair in yer mouth is not the most pleasant of experiences**, plus it keeps the filters free, saving on cleaning/repair costs etc.

**can't find a pukey smiley so this'll have to do - :P

I knew there would be some stupid rules like that! :rolleyes:
    I am not bothered going swimming so because I am not going to wear a hat.

You dont see people in Spain etc wearing hats in pools do you? ;)
    The country I am from you dont have to do it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

if you think a basic levelof hygiene in a public swimming pool is a joke then the mind boggles.

and yes, i have been to many many public swimming pools in spain, i used to live there. and the ones that were ran properly all had a ''no hat no swim'' policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

If you aren't so fussed on hygeine or safety, try the garvogue, or cartron bay.

any place I've been swimming back home requires you to wear a swimming hat and I'm happy with policy. What is it that you don't like about wearing a small hat anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Brite_Cloud

Perhaps the OP (Janine87) is not familliar with the different types of swimming hat available? The rubber ones are hard to put on, but the cloth-type are much easier to use and also last much longer. You could probably even make one, if you're handy with a needle and thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I don't see why wearing a hat to a swimming pool looks ridiculous, it's not like you'll be the only person wearing it.

I don't know where your from Janine87 but it seems the norm to wear swimming hats everywhere. I'm here in France at the moment and the local swimming pool requires you to wear a hat.

As previous posters have said, it's a hygiene issue.

bobcar61 wrote: »
    I don't see why wearing a hat to a swimming pool looks ridiculous, it's not like you'll be the only person wearing it.

I don't know where your from Janine87 but it seems the norm to wear swimming hats everywhere. I'm here in France at the moment and the local swimming pool requires you to wear a hat.

As previous posters have said, it's a hygiene issue.

Well my friend is from the UK and there you dont have to wear a hat.
    I am from Germany and you dont have to wear a hat. You have an option to do it but you dont have to.
    Also when you go swimming here you have to pay for one. If they want you to wear one they should provide them!

I am just saying and you probably think what is the big fuss about wearing a hat. I just think it is a stupid idea. Hygiene or not Hygiene. Like I said all place in Spain etc dont require hats. And if it is a bit the hygiene... why not cleaning the pool everyday?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

I am from Germany and you dont have to wear a hat. You have an option to do it but you dont have to.
    Also when you go swimming here you have to pay for one. If they want you to wear one they should provide them!

I am just saying and you probably think what is the big fuss about wearing a hat. I just think it is a stupid idea. Hygiene or not Hygiene. Like I said all place in Spain etc dont require hats. And if it is a bit the hygiene... why not cleaning the pool everyday?
    they do.ya ask them before ya get in :p

Janine, more and more places in the Uk are requiring people to wear a swimming hat along with more european countries, the difference is in Ireland its a nationwide thing as inforced by ILAM.

Its not stupid, believe me you could not comprehend the filth and dirt left behind by hundreds of people using a pool hatless everyday. Pools are cleaned everyday as far as water quality goes but to clean the floor and filters of pools it takes hours for a medium sized pool and up to working days for large pools. People in CERTAIN pools in Spain are not required to wear a hat because the quality of hygiene is not as high as here.

Look don't use a pool of you dont want to wear a hat but its your loss! You can get cloth hats that you dont even feel on your head, if thats your issue, If its vanity then think that everyone is wearing them so it make no difference in looks.

• Advertisement

Fair enough.

Advertisement