Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What tree?

Options
  • 06-02-2011 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for some help here.

I have an area beside the house that id like to plant some trees for visual protection as well as wind protection. Looking for trees that have little roots if possible and only need to grow maximum height of 10ft. Was thinking of evergreen likes but told they have very bad roots that travel and do damage to walls etc. But im not a green fingured sort so picking up leaves around the gardne wouldn't be my thing either.

Any help greatly appreciated

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

lil-evil wrote: »
    Hi all,

Looking for some help here.

I have an area beside the house that id like to plant some trees for visual protection as well as wind protection. Looking for trees that have little roots if possible and only need to grow maximum height of 10ft. Was thinking of evergreen likes but told they have very bad roots that travel and do damage to walls etc. But im not a green fingured sort so picking up leaves around the gardne wouldn't be my thing either.

Any help greatly appreciated

Bamboo plants/trees are great for this.

Lovely to look at,wont snap in the wind and a lovely rustle from the leaves in the breeze.

Vwery easy to keep and maintain too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Bamboo are great for screening but not liking persistent wind would not be a good wind break.

10'ft is quite small, you could go for a hedge Viburnum or Olearia, the latter prefers windy conditions. Other options might be Cotoneaster lacteus/Cornubia, Laurel or even Grisellinia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Im Only 71Kg

japanese acer's..lovely colours all year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭lil-evil

Thanks to all for the info and ideas. I think the Laurel looks like winner. Cheap and cheerful - not too much work involved in keeping it tidy.

Bamboo are great for screening but not liking persistent wind would not be a good wind break.

10'ft is quite small, you could go for a hedge Viburnum or Olearia, the latter prefers windy conditions. Other options might be Cotoneaster lacteus/Cornubia, Laurel or even Grisellinia.

Funny then that Dublin Zoo use alot of bamboo plants,that are planted tightly together for their pathways and they are a great wind break too.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

OP, What size is the area, if you posted a Picture to give an idea of free space/visual site. (Picture speaks a...) I like Acacia Longifolia... How suitable it is for your Conditions/site you would need to confirm

Hornbeam or Beech hedging is lovely and makes for a nice windbreak.

Both have leaves that go a lovely golden brown in wintertime,but the leaves die and stay on the hedge,till spring,when the new leaves grow.

Good for privicy too.

Advertisement