Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

explorer.exe and avgsrx.exe closing/desktop and taskbar gone

• 06-02-2011 11:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Experiencing pretty much everything that's listed in the title. I'm at my wits end hopefully someone can help.

I've tried a few things, spyware etc and nothing seems to work. It was originally giving a DEP message so I adjusted this and that message is gone but still no desktop explorer etc.

I've also tried System Restores and no luck.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭steloide

Try this......I use these and they work for me and there are free. If you can, download these http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download scroll down on this download page page u'll c the link from FileHippo.
    When that is done turn off your computer then turn it back on and repeatedly tap F8 untill you get your option screen then choose START IN SAFE MODE. When u get your desktop up, run these programs and your anti virus program.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Danniboo

I'm having problems running these while in Safe Mode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Danniboo wrote: »
    I'm having problems running these while in Safe Mode

Could you be a lot more specific? What kind of problems? Please provide as many details as you can about your computer and about any problems, errror messages etc.?

bhickey wrote: »
    Could you be a lot more specific? What kind of problems? Please provide as many details as you can about your computer and about any problems, errror messages etc.?

I've listed them in my OP. just saying Windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close, same avg. Also says has been closed to protect my computer.

I've listed them in my OP. just saying Windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close, same avg. Also says has been closed to protect my computer.

Is that all the info you're prepared to give? :rolleyes:

Is the message "Windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close" also happening in Safe Mode?

What message, if any, appears when AVG closes. Does this happen in Safe Mode?

Are you saying that the desktop appears and then disappears? Is this also happening in Safe Mode.

What operating system are you using?

Did this all just suddenly start happening. Any idea if you installed anything before it started?

• Advertisement

bhickey wrote: »
    Is that all the info you're prepared to give? :rolleyes:

Is the message "Windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close" also happening in Safe Mode?

What message, if any, appears when AVG closes. Does this happen in Safe Mode?

Are you saying that the desktop appears and then disappears? Is this also happening in Safe Mode.

What operating system are you using?

Did this all just suddenly start happening. Any idea if you installed anything before it started?

I can't give you any more info than what my PC has provided me with. avgsrx.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close ( Both happens in safe mode. XP. I installed a webcam before hand but have since done several System Restores and it hasn't made a difference. Yes it just suddenly started, I have no desktop, task bar, start menu, it doesn't appear at all.

avgsrx.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close ( Both happens in safe mode.

That's odd that you get these errors in Safe Mode. So if you select Safe Mode with Networking and login, you see nothing - no desktop, task bar, start menu at any stage? You just get the avgsrx.exe and Windows Explorer error messages "encountered a problem and needs to close"?

If this is virus related then you should first backup your data to an external drive using a Linux Live CD like Ubuntu. Then you can scan for viruses with one of the Linux rescue CD's like Bitdefender.

Advertisement