Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veterinary Nursing

Options
  • 06-02-2011 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Anyone doing veterinary nursing in AIT this year?
    How are you finding it?
    Put it down as first choice on the CAO, fingers crossed!! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Its quite funny, that I qualified as an Engineer, I knew 3 different years of Vet nursing classes. They all love it and 9/10 of them are now working in qualified jobs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

My mate done that course and he love it, I gotta say I was surprise at the points on the AIT website over 400 points wow it must be very popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Im in first year now. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Scarriff Lady

I agree with irishchick!! You'll love it!! Its very science based and hard work if you haven't done chemistry before but lecturer's are very patient and offers group tutorials, its a very interesting and enjoyable course and lecturers are excellent..Also AIT is a great college but follow the accommodation link in the AIT threads for some very sound advice. Best of luck with CAO.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GALWAYINDOOR

hi all
    Just wondered do many men take this course on ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Pebbles82

hi all
    Just wondered do many men take this course on ?

There's 2 in my year but if its what you want to do then who cares ;)

true im just trying to find out abit about it how are you finding it ?

I love it its like any thing if you have an interest you will find it easier and enjoyable. wont even know your learning....went back as a mature student after 10 years working so was a bit scared but the lecturers and the other students make it easy. its very science based but dont let that put you off, the lecturers are great and help you out. I like most of the class never did chemistry in school so had to start from scratch but the lecturer Ann was great, she was so patient with us all. the college is nice as well and friendly. I would recommend this course for anyone that has an interest in caring for animals. We're out on placement now for 7 weeks and loving it.

hi all
    was offered a place in vet nursing thing is i really dont know if i want to do it. any help wud be great in helping me decide. are there further options for study after this course ? career prospects? i have worked in petstores for years have a great interest in animals but is this job basically going to be a receptionist role with one or two extra jobs dont mean to offend anyone just want to way it up
    thanks

hi all
    was offered a place in vet nursing thing is i really dont know if i want to do it. any help wud be great in helping me decide. are there further options for study after this course ? career prospects? i have worked in petstores for years have a great interest in animals but is this job basically going to be a receptionist role with one or two extra jobs dont mean to offend anyone just want to way it up
    thanks

Yes there are further options for study. At the moment its an ordinary degree so you can do an extra year for an honors degree.

The career prospects are growing here all the time. Veterinary nursing is still a relativley new proffession but more and more vets are now seeing how useful it is to have a nurse.

It depends on where you end up. If your the only nurse in a practise then yes receptionist duty will be included. The nurse is essentially the face of the practise and if a very people orientated job. If you end up in a large hospital they may have a receptionist which would mean your dutys would be all nursing based.

It can be messy and smelly but at the end of the day it very rewarding. :)

• Advertisement

Firstly congrats we were told that over 900 people applied for this course of 45 places, so well done.
    I agree with Irishchick, its a varied profession because your course covers pharmacology, radiography to first aid to barrier nursing for infectious cases and the add on options for the honours degree are toxicology and business management so you have a wide range of options you can pursue after you graduate. the bigger hospitals would be more animal care base so if you didnt want to be covering reception you could choose a job in a bigger practice which already has a receptionist. generally the clinics will have a receptionist and the Vet Nurse will be carrying out dentals, grooming, running lab tests and and getting results ready for examination, minor non surgical procedures as well as helping the vet behind the scenes etc.
    Best of luck in your decision ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 luvablelizzie

Hi all, I got accepted as a mature student last week to the veterinary nursing in Athlone! Absolutely delighted as I know the competition is tough! Any advice on preparing for the course!? :-) Or any advice for during it?
    Also, is there anyone from Galway doing it? Im starting in Spetember and I can't wait!!! So excited!!!

Hi all, I got accepted as a mature student last week to the veterinary nursing in Athlone! Absolutely delighted as I know the competition is tough! Any advice on preparing for the course!? :-) Or any advice for during it?
    Also, is there anyone from Galway doing it? Im starting in Spetember and I can't wait!!! So excited!!!

Congrats! Hope you enjoy it! For preparation you could have a read of a leaving cert chemistry book or biology book. Dont worry though if you cant understand anything as they will start from the start :)

Advertisement