Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice cream van insurance

• 07-02-2011 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Hi all. Im am looking at the minute for a company thar insures Ice cream vans. Phoned all of the major ones, plus a few brokers.
    A big "NO" from every one.
    A couple would insure ice cream trailors ok.
    They must be some one doing them.
    Any help appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Next time you see one parked selling ice cream walk up the van and have a look at the insurance disk on the windscreen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Normal Commercial insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

Thanks.That have been said to me as well.
    Im awaiting my chance.
    Commercial insurance, plus public liab, plus product liab that changes things i think a little bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

You'd want to be careful you don't upset people when choosing your route/area to operate the van in.

Correct. So i have heard. Not to step on any one toes.
    U understand it more than i do i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

True. I know the guy who operates the vans out of Janesborough all over the region and he wont take any sh*t from you on his placements(assumed historical placements).

Then again he would have been my only suggestion for somebody to ask about insurance because surely he would know.

Next time you see the vans around head over to the windscreen and see who they are insured with. Simples. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

Berty wrote: »
    True. I know the guy who operates the vans out of Janesborough all over the region and he wont take any sh*t from you on his placements(assumed historical placements).

Does this chap have a regional licence from the Department of Frozen Food? If the OP want's to go into business selling ice-cream, best of luck to him and tough luck on the non-sh*t taker from Janesboro if he has a bit of competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Have you tried Quinn Direct? They have a business/commercial dept

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Does this chap have a regional licence from the Department of Frozen Food? If the OP want's to go into business selling ice-cream, best of luck to him and tough luck on the non-sh*t taker from Janesboro if he has a bit of competition.

Beat me to it, I'm sorry does this other guy have a monopoly on a particular route, like Tony Soprano and his waste collection? is there a seedy underbelly to ice cream selling that someone should do a documentary on? people importing conflict Flakes from Sierra Leone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

I tried to get one insured before and they told me it was too old. Bloody hell, it was only a 99.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

there are four or five parked on a property on the side of the road near bearys cross, you probably be better off not going in and taking a look, aon insurance on patrick street, are your best bet, i was with them for various insurances until my health gave up, never had a bother with them.

Thanks for all the help members.
    Its amazing i just ask a simple question, " Ice cream van insurance".
    Then im issued with a message just short of a threat.
    I think Krudler made a very valid point here.
    He hit the nail on the head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

a house up the road from me has an ice cream van graveyard out their back garden. Well they did when I was growing up...was great fun playing in them, until he let his greyhounds out - legged it :D

Thanks for all the help members.
    Its amazing i just ask a simple question, " Ice cream van insurance".
    Then im issued with a message just short of a threat.

Somebody sent you a message threatening you. Report their message. That's not on.

Somebody sent you a message threatening you. Report their message. That's not on.

I think he's talking about you and me :D

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    I think he's talking about you and me :D

If so it was a bit of a dramatic statement to say "just short of a threat". :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mastergreener

First off guys KEEP ON TOPIC. It's ridiculous he asked about Ice-cream van insurance and the rest of you start talking about stepping on peoples toes and other crap. STAY ON TOPIC.

Does anyone know WHERE you can find Ice-cream van insurance??????

Do whatever route you want. They own no routes. ESB use to have the monopoly but it is good to have competition in the market. Same goes for any industry. Everyone is trying to make a living. Thugs....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Thanks for helping out Mastergreener, if you have a problem with the way a thread is going please use the report post function, it'll make our lives a whole lot easier and it also can help threads going completely off topic very quickly.

Will keep that in mind for the future. Thanks Clareman. Surprised no one else is responding to this thread. I would like to know as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

Hi all. Im am looking at the minute for a company thar insures Ice cream vans. Phoned all of the major ones, plus a few brokers.
    A big "NO" from every one.
    A couple would insure ice cream trailors ok.
    They must be some one doing them.
    Any help appreciated. Thanks
    Theres a thread title you dont see everyday!:D
    no idea myself so cant be of any help to you im afraid

Theres a thread title you dont see everyday!:D
    no idea myself so cant be of any help to you im afraid

Thanks for your constructive input.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

Thanks for your constructive input.

About as constructive as yours mastergreener...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

Let's hope we get some ice-cream weather soon:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Fair play to you for wanting to start a business but enforcing what other people are saying to you and no one is threatening you get that clear just advising you. Do not start this business in Limerick for your own sake your competition are not very nice people. Try a chip van or a coffee van maybe

A coffee van would be good to be fair. The only problem is getting a placement for it. There is currently one guy I know of going around in a Coffee/Sandwich van. You often see him outside the Limerick Auction rooms and knocking on office doors during lunch time.

Hard work I'm sure unlike just parking up your ice cream van and waiting for them to come over.

An Ice Cream van is only seasonal though although the margin on Ice cream is around 72%+(more if you charge for flakes and syrup)

Coffee is around 50% up to 60% margin. More if its just Black Coffee.

I used to be involved for 3 years in selling(machines) and retrofitting ice cream vans, specifically Ford Vans because Carpigiani(Italian) use a UK company to produce their engine propelled machines. That's why the vans engines are always running. ;) So, honestly I know most of the "players" in Limerick and surrounding counties but thats not why I wouldn't be arsed about it. Frankly it's of little consequence really.

You rely on the weather and the seasons and they NEVER work in your favour. That's why ice cream is not the way to go. Insurance is only an obstacle. Losing your savings on a "venture" is a worse fate.

What's a good idea that Limerick does not do very well?

Get a van like the ones in Galway with billboards on the sides and back that change every 30 seconds between up to 3 images on each wall and then just drive around the city advertising. Use 1 day a week knocking on business's selling ad space. These are proper vans with LED signs

http://www.biglook.ie/about-truck-advertising/

Hi all.
    Ok point taken. Maybe my statement was a bit dramatic.
    This was my first post on the boards. Then i get a reply from Berty,
    Quote ( Man in Janesborough will not take any **** from u.
    At the end of the day i was only looking at a way of making a few pound.

Berty u know this business and the people involved. OK thanks for ur advice,
    But it was the way u worded it, like i was a trouble maker. That is all.
    Kilburn did the same thing, but he put his point across more gentle.

Ur last post Berty, very helpful thanks. But ice cream is my thing. Have got a lot of feed back, all echoing what i have heard on these boards.
    Maybe im going down the wrong road. No insurance company still.
    Some one is looking out for me. I am not ready to depart yet. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

A coffee van would be good to be fair. The only problem is getting a placement for it. There is currently one guy I know of going around in a Coffee/Sandwich van. You often see him outside the Limerick Auction rooms and knocking on office doors during lunch time.

There is a lad with a coffee van that comes to Plassey tech park alright - seems good

So still looking for an insurance company that insures ice-cream vans???? Can anyone give a straight answer???? If you have an ice-cream van who are you insured with?

Thank you to anyone that responds with a helpful message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 icecreamman121

So still looking for an insurance company that insures ice-cream vans???? Can anyone give a straight answer???? If you have an ice-cream van who are you insured with?

Thank you to anyone that responds with a helpful message.
    driving an ice cream van for 20 years as name driver and cant get own insur for my own van if u do found one let me know and i do so

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement