Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should there be a Dail Bar -is it like Drinking at Work.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sagat2

Jimmy Deenihan brought me in once, no problem with the place. Got to have a word with a number of TD's who would otherwise have been inaccessible in an informal and relaxed environment. So long as the constituents can access the place from time to time it serves a good function.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

It is a good idea for relaxed meeting place, but that doesn't mean they should be getting drunk during the day there. You can't assume they are all getting drunk, I'm sure the places serves food too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

A few things wrong with it.

They are elected to work, not drink.
    The bar is not run for profit.
    We pay the bar wages.
    The bar gives credit, and many bills are unpaid.

Aoifey! wrote: »
    It is a good idea for relaxed meeting place, but that doesn't mean they should be getting drunk during the day there. You can't assume they are all getting drunk, I'm sure the places serves food too.
    People drink alcohol to get drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

kincsem wrote: »
    People also have one pint socially.

• Advertisement

I don't think it should be shut, its a good place for informal meetings and we all have perks in our jobs this is a perk for them.

Why do people look for insignificant things to get annoyed about when there are so many real issues with the government to be thinking about.

On a side not despite the fact we all love the beer in Ireland, drinking at lunch appears to be seriously frowned upon. Where as its common place in London for instance. Head into a pub in the Financial areas etc in London at lunch and the place will be packed with people having a few quick pints during lunch hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I'm failing miserably. Tell me what I'm doing wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

D1stant wrote: »
    I work from home - Do I now need to get rid of the drinks cabinet?

I have no problem with a bar in the Dail.. as long as their is a Garda checkpoint outside the gates!

Only problem there is Dail immunity or Dail privilege - they are allowed to be soused and drive ... they are permitted to envoke "dail immunity" travelling to and from the dail - so they are above the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

If it wasn't for the Daíl Bar people like Harney, Coughlan, Burton wouldn't be sitting near the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

chucken1 wrote: »
    *waves*

How much is a pint there I wonder?

I've been there once. I think a pint of Heineken cost me about €4.50. Hardly controversy-worthy. On the expensive side to me.

Victor_M wrote: »
    confusing wording of the question OP
    should there be a dail bar? No
    Should the Dail bar be closed down yes

100% of the posters are trying their best to agree with each other but the wording of the poll has confused 50% of them
    I voted no, and I managed to read the question properly.

We pay the bar wages.

Well just because it's non-profit doesn't mean the revenue doesn't go towards paying the wages of the bar staff.

Anyway I don't see the big deal in there being a bar in the Dail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Victor_M wrote: »
    confusing wording of the question OP
    should there be a dail bar? No
    Should the Dail bar be closed down yes

100% of the posters are trying their best to agree with each other but the wording of the poll has confused 50% of them

I tried to keep the question simple.

Discussion is good.

I wonder how many TD's have been prosecuted for drunk driving or are "tired" broadcasting ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Close the damn thing, if these guys want a pint they should have the balls to go out into a pub down the street where the average voter drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

I'd have no excuse to visit the place if they closed it down!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭veryangryman

We pay the bar wages.

Hold on

If the taxpayer is paying for the beers, then how can they need to give/get credit?

Unless you mean the bills being unpaid...

^ from memory previous audits noted large unpaid bill. I'm now off to do some research.

Politician ordered to clear tab of €1,400 at Dail bar By Michael Brennan Tuesday May 11 2010

THE mystery politician who owes a bill of almost €1,400 to the Dail bar has been told to pay up.

The TD or senator is the largest single debtor of the bar, which is owed almost €10,000 in total by politicians. He or she has had a running tab for the past three years at least.

The politician had a bar bill of €1,422 in 2008 and a slightly higher bill of €1,641 last year, which had reduced to €1,378 by the end of March this year.

The Houses of the Oireachtas Commission, which is responsible for the running of the Dail and Seanad, has refused to disclose the identity of the politician. It does not set any "formal limits" on the amount of credit a TD or senator can claim in the bar or restaurant.

There is also no requirement for TDs and senators to settle their bills within a set time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

It looks like the bills are being paid -but I wonder if they are being claimed in expenses

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/politician-ordered-to-clear-tab-of-euro1400-at-dail-bar-2174974.html

Is it a case of not just cheap drink but free drink ?????

Advertisement