Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to move to Ireland from UK

Options
  • 07-02-2011 2:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

And I was wondering, how different is it?

I'm still an apprentice, but looking to move to Ireland when I'm out my time to be with my family and girlfriend. I'll be through my time as a maintenance spark, and I'm doing a Modern Apprenticeship. And I was wondering:

-Will I need to sit an exam or something to be able to work in Ireland, or will it be the same as I go through in the UK?
    -What like is it to get jobs? Kerry is where I'll be heading
    -What like are the salaries/tax rates?
    -And finally, will I have to be drunk before I turn up for work? :P (I'm Scottish, so yes I'm well aware of the irony of me saying that hahah)

Any responses will be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

JGreen wrote: »

I'm still an apprentice, but looking to move to Ireland when I'm out my time to be with my family and girlfriend. I'll be through my time as a maintenance spark, and I'm doing a Modern Apprenticeship. And I was wondering:

-Will I need to sit an exam or something to be able to work in Ireland, or will it be the same as I go through in the UK?
    -And finally, will I have to be drunk before I turn up for work? :P (I'm Scottish, so yes I'm well aware of the irony of me saying that hahah)

You are coming here?........:rolleyes:
    To look for work?..............:eek:

:D Ha.

Buy some magic beans you'd be better off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

The unemployment level amongst electricians in Ireland is very high, higher than most trades I'd say. Unless you have a job inwaiting I'd forget it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 JGreen

Ah. That's not good news..

I will be moving anyway, I can't stay in the UK for an awful lot longer. I'm guessing I'll be better off trying to find a job in retail until the storm of the recession passes by.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Well as someone with experience of working in both countries I have the following comments.

If you are fully qualified in the UK then your irish trade certificate will be granted to you on a like for like basis.

Regarding drink, London for me was the worst place for guys drinking and working, I'm told by my UK friends that this is unique to London in the UK as people don't drive to work, but the work drink culture in the UK is the one thing that is behind Ireland, going for a pint at lunch is though dying, not uncommon for office workers, and site people often go for a pint on the way home, but they seem to call it a night early

if you can get a job here it pays more, however i doubt that you will get a job here things are pretty bad.
    JGreen wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Bill Electrical Aprentice

there is no work here . and if you come 2 work drunk you will be sacked if your not cought by the guards before you get to work and then you will be put of the road for 2 years..im movin to oz in 2 months.................

• Advertisement
Advertisement