Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop DC Power Jack problem?

Options
  • 07-02-2011 5:00am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have two chargers for my laptop, dell vostro, of different wattage etc. For the lesser one the laptop always gave a warning that the battery would charge slower but that was fine, it did it's job. The one day the laptop just stopped charging when the lesser watt charger was in, noting would make it charge. The next day I did not try the lesser one but just used the greater watt charger and that worked, I'm not sure if it worked at first attempt or not.

That has worked ever since for months. I have to give that charger to somebody so I decided to try the lesser watt one again, for the first time. It would not charge the laptop and it also stopped the greater watt charger from charging it as well. Neither work and I can't get my laptop on at all. Would this be a jack problem? I don't have soldering iron or spare jack etc so where would the cheapest place to check this out be? If it is indeed the problem?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I really don't know why this is happening due to putting in the other charger?! perhaps I should try and borrow some other chargers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

First try testing the suspect charger. Do you have access to a multimeter? If not maybe a low voltage bulb....
    If you get no power at the jack, either the jack is knackered or the transformer is. If you have any indication that the transformer is ok (power led or warmth) then try replacing the jack. I've done loads of these for friends and the biggest hassle is getting the right jacks. Radionics do them (at Crumlin Hospital) but unless you have the catalogue number, it's a bit hit and miss. I got a few bags of different sized ones (20 in a bag, about €5, though a few years ago) and judge them by eye. Then it's just basic soldering, the cables are always 2 core (1 core inside the other, whatever thats called) so you will immediately know which wire goes to which terminal. You'll usually have to sacrifice the ferric node on the cable as well, unless Radionics do them as well :)
    Hope that helps.

Sorry, I just looked at your post again and I got the wrong end of the stick! If you've damaged the power socket on the laptop you're in for one pig of a job. Getting the 2 chargers tested would be my first step, just to confirm that either/both are working. Anyone with a multimeter will do this in 5 seconds.
    If your chargers are ok then you've probably damaged the socket on the laptop. Nightmare. These can be integrated onto the motherboard and need a professional to fix, possibly a whole new motherboard. Most computer shops I've worked in wouldn't even attempt to repair this but would look to replace the board (or sell you a new laptop!). Your best bet would be a good (ie in house technician, with experience) TV repair shop.
    First though get the two power supplies tested, or borrow a meter and do it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

A lot of repair shops will tell you its the mobo not the jack that needs replacing - shop around. As an aside - its not a great idea to change power adapters around on laptops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Check that the voltages & amperage are the same on the chargers, the label on the power supply will have this info. Dell won't play nice with other chargers but most of the other manufacturers should be fine. If one has lower amperage then the other, it will still power on a laptop or charge it when it's off, it just won't have the power to charge and power it simultaneously.

You've got my number, shout if you need help.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

docmol wrote: »
    Sorry, I just looked at your post again and I got the wrong end of the stick! If you've damaged the power socket on the laptop you're in for one pig of a job. Getting the 2 chargers tested would be my first step, just to confirm that either/both are working. Anyone with a multimeter will do this in 5 seconds.
    If your chargers are ok then you've probably damaged the socket on the laptop. Nightmare. These can be integrated onto the motherboard and need a professional to fix, possibly a whole new motherboard. Most computer shops I've worked in wouldn't even attempt to repair this but would look to replace the board (or sell you a new laptop!). Your best bet would be a good (ie in house technician, with experience) TV repair shop.
    First though get the two power supplies tested, or borrow a meter and do it yourself.
    Yep I am going to go and test them soon, handy enough. I must get a multimeter and soldering iron actually :/ I really think they are both working and that using the second charger ****ed it. No led etc comes on on the laptop. For the charges I imagine these places charging I would be better off buying a new laptop if it's that kind of a job. Annoying, I jsut replaced the hard drive grr.

A lot of repair shops will tell you its the mobo not the jack that needs replacing - shop around. As an aside - its not a great idea to change power adapters around on laptops.
    was wondering if that had an affect, I couldn't think why. Dang
    Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Check that the voltages & amperage are the same on the chargers, the label on the power supply will have this info. Dell won't play nice with other chargers but most of the other manufacturers should be fine. If one has lower amperage then the other, it will still power on a laptop or charge it when it's off, it just won't have the power to charge and power it simultaneously.

You've got my number, shout if you need help.
    Here is the details of the chargers:

Input for both is the same: 100-240V-1.5A

Output differs:
    19.5V-3.34A
    19.5V-4.62A

They are both dell chargers. Both could charge and power at the same time until now. Must have a chat with you on gmail when you are about thanks :)
    If even to help see what is wrong. :/

docmol wrote: »

How much would this cost in a shop? I can see myself being able to do the first one(jsut the jack), or some friend doing it for me :p but the second hmmm

If the socket on the laptop isn't on the board and is easily accessible it's less than an hours work. Unfortunately most sockets these days are on the motherboard as it makes them cheaper to manufacture. If thats the case it depends on how accessable the solder joins are and if the break is visible. You are probably going to have to pay someone to look at it without a guaranteed repair. I'll stick with my recommendation for a local tv repair shop though. You need someone at home with board level soldering, not just board replacing (like most computer techs) I don't know where you are based but Lawless Brothers (8456986) usually charge about €30 for a diagnosis and might be worth a phone call. Best of luck!

thanks very much, I have figured out it is a loose jack problem so i will have to replace that. I opened the laptop, fiddled around and now it charges sometimes, if I poke the charger around a bit in the jack. Might buy a soldering iron. Many places stock jacks around dublin? I am looking for one for a vostro

the lesser charger wont charge it with fiddling though

I think I have it fixed completely with the 4.xxA charger, however that is not mine and I am giving it back today. I just need to be careful with the jack, it will go eventually though.
    The 3.xxA charger wont charge my laptop at all anymore, so now the thread is about finding a cheap jack/soldering iron and if possible, where is the fastest way to get a cheap charger? :D

• Advertisement

You shouldn't actually need a new jack. If you look at where it's connected to the board you might be able to see the cracked joint. Usually there are two metal "legs" coming from the side/back of the socket and one of these may be cracked. Sometimes the connections are actually under the socket. Either way, a well placed touch of solder might sort it. Having said all that a motherboard is an expensive place to teach yourself soldering! Best of luck!

Thanks, at this stage I dont think I have to do anything at all, apart from buy a new charger. A nice boardsie has offered me a
    nput: 100-240v 1.6A 50-60Hz
    output: 19.0V 4.74A max

similar enough, I'm wondering if the .5v lower voltage matters at all

Thanks, at this stage I dont think I have to do anything at all, apart from buy a new charger. A nice boardsie has offered me a
    nput: 100-240v 1.6A 50-60Hz
    output: 19.0V 4.74A max

similar enough, I'm wondering if the .5v lower voltage matters at all

I doubt it, worth a go

It's all coming together! I love when you take something apart and put it back together and it works without me doing anything!

Hello waterford computers employee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 askoscar

No not employee I didn't see you fixed it don't know how to use this side lol

All sorted?

Well my laptop doesn't work since I have no charger powerful enough to charge it, even though it used to charge it?! So when I get a new pa-10 I should be grand, thanks a lot docmol

• Registered Users Posts: 1 clash1111

My Laptop has a power issue , the DC Jack needs to be replaced as there is bad connection . the computer charges if i strain the wire , i mean if i force it really hard into the back of the laptop. im nearly certain its not a charger problem because i recently replaced that and it was working grand up until now. does anyone have any experience soldering a new dc jack on at all?? my laptop is an inspirion 1501 dell . im in the west dublin area . thanks

Advertisement