Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware Irish Shipping/Langan Couriers for shipping personal effects

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Can't imagine what would cause all four legs to fail like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

cormie wrote: »
    The table doesn't appear to be of such a solid construction that it would require deliberate destruction to break. The individual pieces are indeed solid wood but it appears to be put together with dowels. Of course this doesn't excuse the fact that it's broken, but I can't imagine anyone in this line of work deliberately breaking legs to make something fit better and thinking they will get away with it. My guess is that it was loaded beneath items that were too heavy and the legs simply gave in, that it was packed too tightly or something pushed against it with too much force for a tighter squeeze that subsequently lead to the legs breaking.

I simply can't fathom anyone giving the go ahead to violently remove legs of a table to save them money.

Regardless of how it actually happened, the fact is, it's broken now and you are looking for compensation. I believe that if as you say "At some stage, the table was broken up and put onto a pallet and wrapped up and that is how I recieved it. " then it is their responsibility once they repack the item. However, it may be best to approach it with a bit more leeway other than assuming "Irish Shipping deigned it necessary to try and save some money by ripping the legs off our table.", "via the violent removal of its legs".

Yes, it was constructed like much wooden furniture is, with dowels and glue. But the detail of the leg shows that the wood was actually broken, it's not like they just popped it off the dowels (which would have been difficult to do since it was likely glued and therefore quite solid) there is a corner of leg still attached to the rest of the table.

Whether it was an accident or not, it was violent. And all four legs are broken off... I don't know what kind of accident would cause that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

BostonB wrote: »

Nothing. 3 of them disappeared, only one was broken, from what I can make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Xiney wrote: »
    Yes, it was constructed like much wooden furniture is, with dowels and glue. But the detail of the leg shows that the wood was actually broken, it's not like they just popped it off the dowels (which would have been difficult to do since it was likely glued and therefore quite solid) there is a corner of leg still attached to the rest of the table.

Whether it was an accident or not, it was violent. And all four legs are broken off... I don't know what kind of accident would cause that.

I don't think it's worth trying to come up with scenarios of how it could happen, could have been done with a forklift by mistake, the table could have fallen from the top shelf in a warehouse etc. I'm just saying that there may be a plausible explanation of what happened and by making accusations that it was intentional probably isn't the best approach, even if it was.

You need to deal with this on the facts you have, which I believe are enough to get compensated. Once you start accusing them, it will escalate the situation to a level of confrontation which will only delay and deter the compensation procedure.

They damaged and lost pieces of an item that was given to them intact with all pieces. They should compensate you, simple as that.

Perhaps a better approach, if you felt you weren't getting anywhere, would have been to inform them that you will be starting a thread on Ireland's busiest discussion forum and would be documenting (reply time, conversation etc) the proceeding communications and that they are in control of the outcome and the public opinion by dealing with the query in whatever way they would like their reputation to be portrayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

BostonB wrote: »

I can. A heavy pallet of goods being loaded on top of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

dilallio wrote: »
    Maybe I missed something but where does it say there was a threat on the FIRST phone call ???
    it was in the deleted part of above post.
    In fact, I never threatened anyone. I did get frustrated at one stage and, while remaining civil, let him know that I was able to write about it on the internet. It was a last ditch effort to get them to refund me before I actually took any drastic measures... I think if you're considering something like this it's actually common courtesy to give a company one last opportunity to do right by you. Full disclosure, and all that.
    Insinuating that you will create a website, comment on a website or any other public comment about an issue is a threat
    The truth is not libellous.
    True - but what you are doing is ASSUMING a lot of things. Assumptions and truth are 2 totally different things. Judging by the below packaging comment, its more likely the way it was packaged that caused the damage.
    I put a blanket over the table, followed by a double layer of heavy duty bubble wrap, secured this with cotton twine (the kind you can buy at tescos)

I put each of the legs in the middle of a hand-towel sized towel, and used packing tape and twine to attach it to the leg.

This was then loaded into the small cube van they sent to pick it up.

At some stage, the table was broken up and put onto a pallet and wrapped up and that is how I recieved it.

This is a little confusing - Did you dismantle the legs from the table, or did you leave them intact and just wrap a towel around them?

If you just wrapped towels around them then that's very poor packaging for something that will go into a container and then sail 5000km in all sorts of weather. - I'd package it far better shipping within Dublin, let alone across the atlantic.

The damage shown in the picture could and most likely was caused by another heavy object hitting against it in transport. If the table was properly packaged, the damage would possibly not have happened. IMO, the fault lies with whoever packed the items as it was not packed suitably for the journey it was undertaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

They were to put it on a pallet and wrap it. I didn't remove the legs, I just stood the legs on towels and wrapped them up.

My parents moved from Manitoba to Ontario, which is a 3 day drive. My table was protected better (as in, more layers and more securely) than any of their furniture was, including their valuable antiques.

They were to put it on a pallet and wrap it. I didn't remove the legs, I just stood the legs on towels and wrapped them up.

My parents moved from Manitoba to Ontario, which is a 3 day drive. My table was protected better (as in, more layers and more securely) than any of their furniture was, including their valuable antiques.

You probably hate me:D, but I'm being devil's advocate here.

A 3 day drive on fairly decent road against a 5000km sail on seas in all sorts of weather are chalk & cheese.

The swells 100 metres off the galway coast can be crazy sometimes - so how about the storms in mid atlantic? - In particularly bad swells Liners will plough through these swells with ferocious force and anything loose in a container will get bashed about.

This is the most likely cause of the damage, especially when the pictures are viewed, so you are eitehr looking to balme the person who packed the items, the person who gave or did not give packing instructions or the person who was shipping the goods if the saw how the goods were packed.

But from my experience of shipping goods & moving house, unless the shipper did the initial packing, (quite a small extra cost) they are not responsible for damage in transit due to insufficient / incorrect packing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

91011 wrote: »

But from my experience of shipping goods & moving house, unless the shipper did the initial packing, (quite a small extra cost) they are not responsible for damage in transit due to insufficient / incorrect packing.

I think the shipper was to put it on a pallet and wrap, indicated they were doing the packing.

Anyway this thread reminds why I always triple quotes for personal effects and add 25 % to that for good measure

Hate to be the poor sod sod sorting the paper on this insurance claim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Margaret147

I have been shipping personal effects to include a car with this company Irish Shipping and so have some members of my family and friends over the years and i would have no hesitation in recommending them to anyone at any time.At some times they offered packing which was paid for ( a small fee but worth it due to the nature of the items that were been sent ) and other times it was shipping boxes of books etc so it did not require packing.They offer a full range of services and advice. It appears by your posts that you chose to use your website expertise to bully some people in their organisation. I was informed about this from a friend of mine and since i live local, i called to my contact at their premises to make them aware of this post on Boards.ie. I also notice that having browsed the internet that this appears on many other sites such as Flickr. Drastic actions for such a small valued item that appears to have been wrapped in towels which is far from sufficient in my experience of shipping. I also noticed that you decided not to put up a reply send to you by a part owner of the company for your own benefit on this site.It seems you have a personal vendetta against this company from what i hear about your conversation with one of their staff. Here is the reply i found on Flickr, so i decided to put it up and i hope you find yourself in some sort of legal case for deformation of character against a company that have a document signed by you stating insurance covers loss of goods and theft of goods ONLY. Why in gods name would anyone take legs from a table.

Our ref : 1126185.
    2 pallets stc 22 Boxes.
    To: Ontario.

Dear Christine Hanley,

Please be advised that the file for the above shipment has been brought to my attention as it is subject to claim due to apparent damage.
    Firstly, it is very unfortunate that your shipment is not to your satisfaction and I appreciate your comments in relation to this matter.
    We offered you insurance cover for loss /theft only which you accepted which was levied at 4% of the value of the goods.You have signed our documentation accordingly to verify same. Therefore the packing was your responsibility and unfortunately all good are carried in accordance with our standard conditions of trading.We at no time tampered with,unpacked or reconstructed your shipment / packing. We shipped the goods as per your packing and supply, and unfortunately they have apparently been damaged.
    I have passed this matter to our insurers, even though it will come within the excess of any policy.
    I expect my insurers to refer you to your own insurers for settlement of this claim on the basis of my comments above.
    Furthermore I would like to bring to your attention , part of a statement written to me from one of my staff members , Mr. David Williams, whereby you stated that “ You design websites and that you will design a site where the first thing everbody will see is the damage apparently done to your stuff”.
    Mr. Wiliams advised you that he was terminating the conversation on the basis of bullying/ threatening behavior by your goodself.
    I have lodged the above statement with my solicitor.
    Should you require any further information, please do not hesitate in contacting me and in the meantime when I have any further information , I will contact you at the above email address.
    Regards
    Bryan Wixted CMILT (Director)
    Irish Shipping & Transport Limited
    bwixted@irishshipping.com
    tel: +353(1)8774000 | fax:+353(1)8470089
    www.irishshipping.com
    All business transacted in accordance with International Freight Association (IIFA) Irish Standard Trading Conditions 1989 Edition.

I think people such as 90111 on this board , know what i am talking about. A disgrace and you should be ashamed of yourself.

• Advertisement

actually, I think boards should delete the thread as it has become very obvious that the item was not packed in any way suitable for the journey it was undertaking and that the OP is 100% at fault for the damage.

Leaving the thread up, once it has been established that Irish Shipping are in no way to blame for the damage, leave boards a possible party to any libel. (Op has admited she packed the goods - and her description of the packing showed that it was not done suitably for the journey)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Auders123

I’ve used Irish Shipping twice in the 12 months or so - once to transport a load of personal effects to new Zealand and once to move house from Dublin to way down Tipperary way. The guys couldn't have been more helpful, they even arrived during the heavy snow when I totally wasn't expecting them. I have to say I didn’t have an ounce of hassle. I paid a premium to cover for theft and loss as offered by Irish Shipping. However all went exceedingly well and I would highly recommend them.
    And anyway – do you normally take before and after photos of a table – hmmm - fishy if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

91011 wrote: »
    actually, I think boards should delete the thread as it has become very obvious that the item was not packed in any way suitable for the journey it was undertaking and that the OP is 100% at fault for the damage.

Leaving the thread up, once it has been established that Irish Shipping are in no way to blame for the damage, leave boards a possible party to any libel. (Op has admited she packed the goods - and her description of the packing showed that it was not done suitably for the journey)

I think, if it is established that Irish Shipping are in no way to blame, that the thread should stay as it will end up showing that it was not Irish Shipping's fault. This thread can be then used as a reference. I do think that in this case the thread title should be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Auders123 wrote: »
    And anyway – do you normally take before and after photos of a table – hmmm - fishy if you ask me.

Insurance Companies often ask for photographs of proof of damage - I always take before and after photos for moves, also when I move into rented accomodation. Your 'fishy' comment is over the top.

I am delighted that Irish Shipping did such a great job for you - pardon me for being sceptical but did they give you an "employee-discount" for your moves ??? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Auders123 wrote: »
    I’ve used Irish Shipping twice in the 12 months or so - once to transport a load of personal effects to new Zealand and once to move house from Dublin to way down Tipperary way. The guys couldn't have been more helpful, they even arrived during the heavy snow when I totally wasn't expecting them. I have to say I didn’t have an ounce of hassle. I paid a premium to cover for theft and loss as offered by Irish Shipping. However all went exceedingly well and I would highly recommend them.

1st post after being registered since april 2010, and you post in support of this company?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

I have been shipping personal effects to include a car with this company Irish Shipping and so have some members of my family and friends over the years and i would have no hesitation in recommending them to anyone at any time.At some times they offered packing which was paid for ( a small fee but worth it due to the nature of the items that were been sent ) and other times it was shipping boxes of books etc so it did not require packing.They offer a full range of services and advice. It appears by your posts that you chose to use your website expertise to bully some people in their organisation. I was informed about this from a friend of mine and since i live local, i called to my contact at their premises to make them aware of this post on Boards.ie. I also notice that having browsed the internet that this appears on many other sites such as Flickr. Drastic actions for such a small valued item that appears to have been wrapped in towels which is far from sufficient in my experience of shipping. I also noticed that you decided not to put up a reply send to you by a part owner of the company for your own benefit on this site.It seems you have a personal vendetta against this company from what i hear about your conversation with one of their staff. Here is the reply i found on Flickr, so i decided to put it up and i hope you find yourself in some sort of legal case for deformation of character against a company that have a document signed by you stating insurance covers loss of goods and theft of goods ONLY. Why in gods name would anyone take legs from a table.

Our ref : 1126185.
    2 pallets stc 22 Boxes.
    To: Ontario.

Dear Christine Hanley,

Please be advised that the file for the above shipment has been brought to my attention as it is subject to claim due to apparent damage.
    Firstly, it is very unfortunate that your shipment is not to your satisfaction and I appreciate your comments in relation to this matter.
    We offered you insurance cover for loss /theft only which you accepted which was levied at 4% of the value of the goods.You have signed our documentation accordingly to verify same. Therefore the packing was your responsibility and unfortunately all good are carried in accordance with our standard conditions of trading.We at no time tampered with,unpacked or reconstructed your shipment / packing. We shipped the goods as per your packing and supply, and unfortunately they have apparently been damaged.
    I have passed this matter to our insurers, even though it will come within the excess of any policy.
    I expect my insurers to refer you to your own insurers for settlement of this claim on the basis of my comments above.
    Furthermore I would like to bring to your attention , part of a statement written to me from one of my staff members , Mr. David Williams, whereby you stated that “ You design websites and that you will design a site where the first thing everbody will see is the damage apparently done to your stuff”.
    Mr. Wiliams advised you that he was terminating the conversation on the basis of bullying/ threatening behavior by your goodself.
    I have lodged the above statement with my solicitor.
    Should you require any further information, please do not hesitate in contacting me and in the meantime when I have any further information , I will contact you at the above email address.
    Regards
    Bryan Wixted CMILT (Director)
    Irish Shipping & Transport Limited
    bwixted@irishshipping.com
    tel: +353(1)8774000 | fax:+353(1)8470089
    www.irishshipping.com
    All business transacted in accordance with International Freight Association (IIFA) Irish Standard Trading Conditions 1989 Edition.

I think people such as 90111 on this board , know what i am talking about. A disgrace and you should be ashamed of yourself.
    again, first post, signed up just to post how wonderful irish shipping are, hmmm, why am I skeptical?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Auders123

No probs dilallio, you're entitled to be as sceptical as I am....... thankfully the right to freedom of speech is recognised as a human right under article 19 of the universal declaration of human rights..... I only commented on the service being excellent - on 2 occasions - and - with regard to employee discount - I am a banker for my sins - and this is not an opening to berate me for my wonderful profession (haha)..... was only just saying it as it was for me - excellent service all round - Over and Out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

BEFORE THIS ALL GETS VERY SILLY:

I am locking this thread pending two emails I will send - one to Irish Shipping who have been in contact and one to the OP.

I believe in Boards.ie being used as a platform for the truth for both parties. When the OP posted her original post, we had no reason to doubt her. She is an established member on the site and has had no previous bans. Malicious posters out to damage a company's reputation tend to be one post wonders with no evidence to back their story. This is not the case here.

Obviously this is a very trying experience for all concerned and my intention is to be a fair platform for both sides.

Now, we've had posts from brand new users, purporting to be Customers of Irish Shipping. That's fine. Yes, in our previous experience it often looks dodgy when new members suddenly appear on a thread giving glowing references about the company being complained about, but I'm leaving their posts up for you, the reader to judge if they're honest. Personally, I don't know.

People have good experiences and bad experiences with the same companies all of the time.

I had snipped the previous conversations from Irish Shipping as we didn't have their permission to reproduce them here. There has, to my knowledge, been no effort from the OP to hide either side of the story and that needs to be clarified and understood.

We are more than open to hearing and seeing the other side.

If it is shown that Irish Shipping are not responsible for the damage, then we will amend the thread accordingly. I am not in favour of just removing posts because they're "inconvenient" to the company. However, we do have legal guidelines - http://www.boards.ie/legal.php that we must and do abide by.

Again, we have no evidence that this is a malicious post - rather a member's genuine experience. We have also had no correspondence (to date) from the company claiming that the post was wrong.

I am contacting both parties now in an effort to resolve this. I am available at hello@boards.ie

Thanks

Darragh

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement