Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Course Refund - course not what expected

Options
  • 07-02-2011 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

Do I have rights to get a refund for an adult education course I've started taking?

I've just rang them and they say they're terms and conditions state no refund, I haven't found these terms yet!

The Spanish language course I've just started taking is not working out, the class is too large and material is very poor. they also cancelled my first class and merged some of us into another, the numbers are now too large in my opinion and some of us were left missing the very first class.
    3 classes have now completed, I think there are 5 more, I have missed 1 of the 3 because they cancelled.

What can I do to ensure I get a full or partial refund?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Was there something to say how many there would be in a class?

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

No, I don't think there was, the info has been removed from the site now since the course commenced.
    The description was vague enough, suits them I guess.
    My argument is the 1./ cancellation of the first class, 2./ overcrowding, 3./ low standard material (bad photocopies of book pages).

The host is part of the VEC I believe, their site had a small bit more info.
    I found this deep down in what looks like an old pdf:
    "Fees will not be refunded after registration.
    The disabled and registered unemployed may
    be entitled to a 50% reduction in fees in certain
    viable courses, if evidence to support that
    claim is presented at time of enrolment. ..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You'd have to take a case in the small claims. Though its doesn't seem you have any evidence that you were mis-sold something. I was on a DIT course once where a couple of people felt a course wasn't as described. They created a big enough fuss and despite the rule of no refunds, the college refunded them, I don't know how much.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

Good news, full refund gotten. :P

Advertisement