Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Don't buy a 500D, the 600D is on its way

• 07-02-2011 11:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

See article here.

(or wait til it arrives and pick up a 500D at a end-of-line stock price ;))

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Dam... A new 1100d as well. Wish I knew this a few months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

It looks pretty much like a 60D in a lighter body.

And WTF?:

"The 1100D has a 12-megapixel sensor, a sensibility range of ISO100 to ISO6400 and 720p high-definition video capture capabilities. The camera has been designed for 25-to-35-year-old women, who, says Canon, are buying "more and more entry-level DSLRs," according to a report by Amateur Photographer."

:D

Dpreview directly compare it to the 550D:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos600d/

The list below gives a more complete summary of the feature differences between the 600D and 550D:

Vari-angle display
    Scene intelligent Auto Mode
    'Basic+' creative controls in scene modes
    'Creative Filters' can be applied to images in playback mode
    Multi-aspect ratio shooting (3:2, 4:3, 16:9, 1:1, previewable in Live View)
    Integrated Wireless flash controller with multi-flash support
    'Video Snapshot' mode
    Auto Lighting Optimizer now adjustable in 4 levels
    Feature Guide
    Image rating (1-5 stars)
    Eye sensor for LCD display replaced by 'DISP' button
    Marginally larger and heavier

Might be a good idea to hang on and wait for all the 550D models to flood adverts :)

It looks pretty much like a 60D in a lighter body.

And WTF?:

"The 1100D has a 12-megapixel sensor, a sensibility range of ISO100 to ISO6400 and 720p high-definition video capture capabilities. The camera has been designed for 25-to-35-year-old women, who, says Canon, are buying "more and more entry-level DSLRs," according to a report by Amateur Photographer."

:D

HAHAHA. They are buying them for their husbands!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

The little minxes clearly have too much housekeeping money. :pac:

Ha, it's a bit of a bold statement by them to say the least. Pretty sure females within that age group will be more than a little pee'd off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

My girlfriend is 31 and has a 1000D, so they're not entirely wrong really ;)

That's one buyer! :D

I'm sure there's tonnes of men and women outside that age bracket who have bought them.

It seems a very sexist thing for them to say regardless. Like women in that age group will only ever buy entry level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

That's one buyer! :D

I'm sure there's tonnes of men and women outside that age bracket who have bought them.

It seems a very sexist thing for them to say regardless. Like women in that age group will only ever buy entry level.

come on now get a grip, its either fact or it isnt sexism dosnt come into it

DO you work for Canon or something? I just think it's funny, and many will see it as sexism, whether or not they meant it that way. As I said, there's tonnes of men buy that model too, they're not singled out.

DO you work for Canon or something? I just think it's funny, and many will see it as sexism, whether or not they meant it that way. As I said, there's tonnes of men buy that model too, they're not singled out.

obviously i dont work for canon

i find it funny how the sexism card comes out any time females are mentioned in anything

they just said that they designed a camera with a particular growing market in mind anyone who sees that as sexist is a clown imo

• Advertisement

I think anyone who takes someone laughing at what 'could' be deemed sexist seriously, is the "clown" ;) As there wasn't any need for your over defensiveness if you've no ties with Canon. It's the way they mentioned females that comes across badly, not the fact they mentioned them. They could have just mentioned the age group. Out of the blue, in like a bull to defend a statement ... bit lol-ish. I'm not so PC as to care, but knowing what people complain about lately ..

It makes no odds to me, I'm not female, or a Canon user. But I have seen lesser statements accused of being sexist over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

ooooOOooh handbags at dawn! :p

Seriously though, it seems a bit weird to specifically market a dslr at females... I don't think it's sexist, it's just a bit of a random thing to say, really. Glad I saw this though, was about to shell out on a 1000D to upgrade from my 10D (and finally put it out of it's misery, poor thing). I'll either wait and get a cheap 1000D when they're the end of the line or maybe get the 1100D... Video isn't a massive selling point for me, but it's not a bad thing to have...

It probably is a bit harsh to say it's sexist, I was only thinking what the masses might see it as. The casual buyer say, might not like to feel patronised.

Funny someone who has never posted in here before takes such offence to what I say, and not what Canon did though :D

I've seen 450/500D models on adverts here and there going pretty cheap. Either of those would be better than a 1000D, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

zoegh wrote: »
    ooooOOooh handbags at dawn! :p

Seriously though, it seems a bit weird to specifically market a dslr at females... I don't think it's sexist, it's just a bit of a random thing to say, really. Glad I saw this though, was about to shell out on a 1000D to upgrade from my 10D (and finally put it out of it's misery, poor thing). I'll either wait and get a cheap 1000D when they're the end of the line or maybe get the 1100D... Video isn't a massive selling point for me, but it's not a bad thing to have...

Don't get the 1000D. It's not great to be honest. There are plenty of reasons not to buy, but the poor LCD alone would be reason enough for me.

I can't speak for the newer one obviously, but I wouldn't have much faith in Canon to produce a decent 'affordable' DSLR after playing with the 1000D.

I think anyone who takes someone laughing at what 'could' be deemed sexist seriously, is the "clown" ;) As there wasn't any need for your over defensiveness if you've no ties with Canon. It's the way they mentioned females that comes across badly, not the fact they mentioned them. They could have just mentioned the age group. Out of the blue, in like a bull to defend a statement ... bit lol-ish. I'm not so PC as to care, but knowing what people complain about lately ..

It makes no odds to me, I'm not female, or a Canon user. But I have seen lesser statements accused of being sexist over the years.

haha, one sentence is in like a bull being overly defensive? :rolleyes: i wasnt defending canon i couldnt care less about them, i was making a point which clearly succeded as now your backtracking so thats good ;)

i guess the thread can go back to being on topic now

this announcement has come at a perfect time for me assuming the reviews go well ill be buying a 60d this summer i imagine. id be curious to know what the difference (if any) in image quality would be between this and a 7d though as they use the same sensor

edit; just saw your last post there, not posting here in quite a while and never posting here before are two completely different things but think what you will

I think calling someone a clown for their opinion on something canon said is a bit bullish and uncalled for tbh. That's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Ok, get it on topic and stop all squabbling please.

Thank you.

I assume 'designed specifically for women' means it'll be the same as every other camera they've made, but also available in pink? :rolleyes:

Also, how is 1100D said? "Eleven Hundred Dee"? Sounds like a bit of a mouthful. I'd have given it a different name, or start into Roman numerals or something.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Ok, get it on topic and stop all squabbling please.

Thank you.

I did, previous page. It is kind of on topic, as that statement is in the link you gave in the first post. Should have known it'd get up someone's nose, but Canon said it! not I! :rolleyes:

It's annoying that all of the manufacturers continue to bring out samey models. They're basically re-vamping what's already available, sticking a few knobs on, some of which don't really improve much at all. This doesn't look anywhere near the kind of improvement nikon made from the D90 to the D7000 though. As the 550D already has most of what this new one does, and the 60D looks a better option again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

It's even more annoying that the same people are dominating every other thread on this forum.

Jaysus... all I want to do is read something interesting... that doesn't require a table tennis bat.

• Advertisement

canoneos1000d.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

gsxr1 wrote: »

my eyes MY EYES!!!! :eek:

i'm not sure that mentioning their demographic in a product launch is sexist. what if they said it was aimed at 17 year old emo guys wanting to visually document their agnst in order to woo 17 yo emo chicks into their black bedrooms to make the whoopee? thant's not any more sexist.

will the 550d price drop when this comes out? i was looking for a 2nd hand 550d but i can't see many upgrading so soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I don't see a problem with targeting a demographic... for shits and giggles, just replace "25-to-35-year-old women" with "People with smaller hands" -does that make it handist?

What would be sexist is if men refused to buy it thinking it would make them somehow more manly :)

jpb1974 wrote: »
    It's even more annoying that the same people are dominating every other thread on this forum.

Jaysus... all I want to do is read something interesting... that doesn't require a table tennis bat.

This is spam basically, you've not said one thing on topic and it's equally as moaney as the very posts you're moaning about, don't like the tit for tats then get it back on topic, why moan to drag it on?

It was already back on topic. Besides your post that is. And what's this dominating threads thing? if people didn't post regularly it wouldn't be much of a forum. Not my fault some prefer not to post as much, pretty boring when nobody is. I stay on topic 99% of the time, you? ^

Sense of humour wouldn't go astray on some, I point out something funny Canon said and it has to get moaned at ... sheesh .. I thought it was a funny/strange thing for them to say to promote a new model.
    I don't see a problem with targeting a demographic... for shits and giggles, just replace "25-to-35-year-old women" with "People with smaller hands" -does that make it handist?

What would be sexist is if men refused to buy it thinking it would make them somehow more manly :)

Maybe because you're not part of that demographic?, I'd be more interested in what people who fall into it actually think tbh. But who cares end of the day? It's just a funny line ... or ... was ...

Anyway, the 600D ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭Valcin

Should we expect a drop in price on the 550d when the 600 comes out in March?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Valcin wrote: »
    Should we expect a drop in price on the 550d when the 600 comes out in March?

don't think so - I gather the 600D will replace the 500D and will be on sale side by side with the 550D. I suspect 8-12months time the 550D will hit end of life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

Interestingly enough I recently encountered a Canon DSLR magazine (i.e. thinly veiled marketing vehicle) in the first class section of a plane I got in Malaysia (don't worry, I was just passing through en route to economy class). It was complete pants, full of terrible photos, but was marketed entirely at wealthy asian females. I thought it was a bit odd to be honest but they've obv looked at their numbers and it makes sense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The Charter states:
    Please don't attempt to dominate a thread or discussion.

This is occurring in this thread. Please STOP.

Having a view is fine, but according to the Reported Posts it is becoming too dominant.

Yes ... This is publicly directed to one poster.

Thank you.

Actual specs and prices found on another forum:

EOS 600D – key features:
    • 18-megapixel CMOS sensor
    • Scene Intelligent Auto mode
    • Full-HD EOS Movie
    • On-screen Feature Guide
    • 3.7fps continuous shooting
    • Wide-area 9-point AF
    • 1,040k-dot vari-angle 7.7cm (3.0”) screen
    • Basic+ and Creative Filters
    • Built-in wireless flash control

Pricing and Availability
    • The EOS 600D (body only) is available from early April 2011, priced at £679.00/€819.00 RRP incl. VAT.
    • The EOS 600D EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II is available from early April 2011, priced at £769.00/€929.00 RRP incl. VAT.
    • The EOS 600D EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS is available from early April 2011, priced at £949.00/€1,149.00 RRP incl. VAT.

CMOD EDIT: stop questioning a moderator on thread. take it to a pm with the moderator if you don't understand something. Standard response is a ban when this happens. it's in the charter. read it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Still no annoucement of the 5D mk3???? :mad:

I didn't grass ya up btw Cagey. ::P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

About the 1100d = women thing: Lots of products are aimed at certain demographics during development, but it seems naive for Canon to mention it in their press release. I might understand if it was a pair of sunglasses, but not for a camera. Surely that would put off both men and women in Europe/USA.

Maybe men and women are more eh, segregated/polarized (?) in Japan?

Either way, my understanding of the 1000d/1100d was that a new entry level model was introduced after the 450d because the Rebels were starting to get a bit too good to be truly "entry level".

Anyway, personally the 600d doesn't have much of a wow factor for me, and I don't think I like the swivel screen. I know it could be handy for macro and what not, but I don't do macro much anyway. I hope we don't get to a point in the near future where all new Canon DSLRs have swivel screens. Then the best Canon I could hope for would be something like a 1D mk4, which would be ...actually, forget about it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

600d in stock in conns, according to mr facebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Whatever about the 500D does this mean its 50 better than my 550D?

The good thing about canon brining out so many upgrades is that it brings down the prices of their perfectly good predecessors. If they could only do the same with their glass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I could afford an 1100D and it looks a decent camera too but now I can't get it or else I'm using a woman's camera :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Jimdagym wrote: »
    600d in stock in conns, according to mr facebook.

So now it's only a matter of time until someone posts "don't buy the 600D, the 650D is coming soon" :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭clouds

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    I could afford an 1100D and it looks a decent camera too but now I can't get it or else I'm using a woman's camera :(

That would never do :rolleyes: You do know it only works on 2 presets Baby Mode and Flower Mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

This is all good news for anyone considering buying a second-hand 450d/500d on adverts.ie..

Not so good for those trying to sell one.

The 550 flip, according to Kai & co -

http://www.youtube.com/user/DigitalRevCom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

gloobag wrote: »
    My girlfriend is 31 and has a 1000D, so they're not entirely wrong really ;)
    1 boob? :(

Advertisement