Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still waiting on my licence

Options
  • 07-02-2011 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭

I've been waiting for my licence for awhile now and i'm seriously thinking of giving up on the idea of owning a rifle

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

How long you waiting ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Dannyboy1987

over 7 months now i think i might give up not worth the hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

i felt the same way as yourself, mine took eight months to come trough but i got it in the end. just keep ringing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Lost and misplaced applications are a feature of some garda districts. Try to get to speak to your local firearms officer and if necessary fill out a new application and ask for a receipt! Don't give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I've been waiting for my licence for awhile now and i'm seriously thinking of giving up on the idea of owning a rifle

Anything over 3 months is automatic refusal and they don't need to inform you so I'd be ringing and applying again if I were in your shoes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

As the lads said get in touch with someone and see what's happening then let us know and we'll advise you better ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

My 1st licence took about 2 months. The second one was well into the 10th month. SO don't give up. If it's failed just try again.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Vegeta wrote: »
    Anything over 3 months is automatic refusal and they don't need to inform you so I'd be ringing and applying again if I were in your shoes

The more things change, the more they stay the same. If I was you OP I'd be on the phone to your station. No doubt it'll have been lost, misfiled, blah... Find out the lay of the land then light a fire under them.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hrcbob

Vegeta wrote: »

not strictly true.. could just be a lazy ass fo sitting on it instead of filing it.. Mine was held up for 5 months before it got near the super who then had it processed in a matter of days..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

OP dont give up, I had a similar experience when applying for my .223 after getting rid of my semi auto shotgun.
    I met my local garda, filled in the form with him, he told me I should have it within 6 weeks. 3 months later, no sign of the license.
    As I live in a rural area and dont have a fulltime manned garda station and only a mobile number for my local garda it took me the bones of a week ringing him until I finally got him on duty. He assuerd me that my original application was definitely sent into the district HQ and would be forwarded onto Phoenix park after that and that the reason I was waiting was because the new licensing system was only after getting introduced and that there was some confusion about it etc etc.
    Another 3 months later after ringing him again and not getting an answer I rang phoenix park and talked to a woman by the name of I think it was Mary Hurley, she was feckin sound out and was quickly able to tell me that they never received any application whatsoever.
    I then rang the super, he took my name and details etc.
    The following day, my local garda called me and told me that my application was lost and couldnt be found and that I'd have to apply again. Another couple of days later a seargent called me and told me to skip giving my second application to my local garda and meet him in another station not too far from me and that he would personally take care of it. I met him, gave him the form and permission letters again and before I left he gave me his 2 mobile numbers and said that if I hadnt heard of anything with 3 weeks to ring him. One week later I got a letter from the supers office saying that my application had been received and a decision would be made in due course. I finally got my license about 2 weeks after that. So all in all it took a good 7 months to get the license and that was after getting the super involved so if I were you I'd be ringing and looking for answers.
    Dont go baldheaded and angry with them or else they could "Mistakenly" loose you application again, but be assertive with them and get receipts etc so as you have definite dates etc etc.
    Dont give up yet, because once you get the rifle all the b*****t you had to go through is soon forgotten when you're out in ther fields after shooting your first bunny with your new gun !!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

hrcbob wrote: »
    not strictly true.. could just be a lazy ass fo sitting on it instead of filing it.. Mine was held up for 5 months before it got near the super who then had it processed in a matter of days..

Legally it is 100% true but this is Ireland so you're right they still make it up as they go along in some places.

Thank God my local Gardai are all dead on and very professional and I don't get this stuff myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Are you just getting the run-around or is there a possibility that you will legitimately be denied?

You don't want to get huffy with them or quote the law. You're in a kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

You should try and get to them before they get to an official rejection. Ask them if there's something that is holding your permission up. They might actually be doing you a favor by not having sent an official rejection. Once that happens, it is a whole new ball game.

May we ask:
    (1) What are you applying for, weapon, caliber, model.
    (2) What is your need: culling, club, ...
    (3) Have you any problems in the background... No need to be specific.

If you feel strongly you have crossed all of the t's and dotted the i's then stop by and just ask.

Slan

Advertisement