Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fine Gael policy to end compusory Irish till Leaving Cert

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Not all kids are there to start at jumior infants is what I mean. Every year I'm sure there are kids around the country startign school in Ireland for the first time in each age group. Meaning you'll have a kid, be they a foreign kid coming here for the first time or an Irish kid returning that will go in to the school system at every age from 4 right up to 18. If everythign is thought through Irish, where do these kids fit in, given that they may well have never heard a word of the language in their lives. You cant just drop a 12 year old just arrived from Lituania in to an Irish school and assume all will be fine.

Ah, I see, Well turning all primary schools into Gaelscoils is only an idea(And not really a practicle one) I honestly cant imagin that ALL primary schools well ever be turned into Gaelscoileanna, However in a situation where they were, I can only imagin it would really run on the same basis as in non English speaking countries.

Support for learning Irish from the school. In an immersion enviroment though children will learn a language very quickly, So while they would struggle to adapt for the first few months, They would still learn the language very quickly and would catch up to the rest of the class in a year or so.
    This is what happens in Gaelscoileanna as it is. When kids start they dont have much Irish in general, But because it is an Immersion enviroment, they learn very fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Oh, my appologies, should I tow the line and join groups to demand Irish be beaten in to everyone in the country?

Peopel should be free to make their own choices and if those choices coflict with yours and you see that as dilluting Irish culture, well thats your problem, not anyone elses. You go have whatever culture and values suit you and I'll have mine. Just dont try force yours on me.

I was forced to learn Irish right up to leaving cert (even though I made a conscious decision to attend a German school here for 2nd level)and I have never once had the need or inclination to use any of it outside of the classroom.

So you're not proud to be Irish then, are you not? Also, I think you should go back & learn English, if some of your spelling is anything to go by!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    Roverek wrote: »
    and just polish at school

Wait, what?
    I think the correct use of case is very important there. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

So you're not proud to be Irish then, are you not? Also, I think you should go back & learn English, if some of your spelling is anything to go by!?

Wanting to learn Irish has no bearing on being proud to be Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is that the best you can come up with? Letters the wrong way around are nothing to do with my spelling and all to do with my typing. Maybe we should replace Irish with something usefull like more computer classes and ensuring everyone leaves school being able to touch type?

I'm no more or less proud of being Irish than I am any other parts of my life, especially ones that are accidents of birth rather than my own achievements. I'd rank thinks I made happen myself that influence my life higher than something that just happened that I'd no control over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

I've thought lately why people dismiss Irish and say it's useless. But really has English been all that good to us, since the state was formed 90 years ago, we've had only 10 years of prosperity and we blew that. Now no Gaeilgóir in their right mind would want Irish to replace English because most Gaeilgóirí are bilingual or even multi-lingual and they know and understand the value of being able to speak multiple languages and how this effects your worldly view and your mental capacity for thinking outside the box.
    People will say there's no value in learning Irish, there is the obvious cultural value but also the analytical one. A language is a code, teaching kids to break this code will only help to enhance their education and there mental abilities.
    There was a study done last year by Queens University that kids in Gaeilscoileanna were surpassing their peers in English medium schools in Maths and guess what other subject English. How amazing is that.
    The advantages of bi-lingualism are well documented and before people say why not teach French/Spanish/Mandarin etc. We do not have the resources to teach through these languages, we have them in Irish, we just need to reform our dated curriculum in primary and secondary schools

Crosáidí wrote: »
    I've thought lately why people dismiss Irish and say it's useless. But really has English been all that good to us, since the state was formed 90 years ago, we've had only 10 years of prosperity and we blew that. Now no Gaeilgóir in their right mind would want Irish to replace English because most Gaeilgóirí are bilingual or even multi-lingual and they know and understand the value of being able to speak multiple languages and how this effects your worldly view and your mental capacity for thinking outside the box.
    People will say there's no value in learning Irish, there is the obvious cultural value but also the analytical one. A language is a code, teaching kids to break this code will only help to enhance their education and there mental abilities.
    There was a study done last year by Queens University that kids in Gaeilscoileanna were surpassing their peers in English medium schools in Maths and guess what other subject English. How amazing is that.
    The advantages of bi-lingualism are well documented and before people say why not teach French/Spanish/Mandarin etc. We do not have the resources to teach through these languages, we have them in Irish, we just need to reform our dated curriculum in primary and secondary schools

Beside's the point of lack of resourses for teaching through a language other than Irish.

The most important factor is simple lack of Desire, Gaelscoileanna are far more popular than Forighn language immersion.

I addressed that point above, which leads on to your point below.

Freing up 7 periods (I think it was in my secondary school) a week in secondary school and whatever time is spent in Primary on Irish is a lot of resources to redirect to a language people can use everyday in later life. Most kids dont learn eveyrthing through Irish anyway so we dont have the facilities for that either. With Irish takign up little or none of the school week of a large amount of kids, there would be plenty of time and resources to use teaching another European language.

Besides the point of lack of resources for teaching through a language other than Irish.

The most important factor is simple lack of Desire, Gaelscoileanna are far more popular than Foreign language immersion.

If desire is the major factor, then why is Irish compulsory in schools? Surely you should make people want to do it not make them do it.

Snakeblood wrote: »
    If desire is the major factor, then why is Irish compulsory in schools? Surely you should make people want to do it not make them do it.

People do want to do it, The majority of people between 15 and 24 want Irish to remain compulsory.

There is no desire for forighn language immersion schools, there is for Gaelscoileanna.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

At last, a humane and intelligent policy about compulsory Irish in Secondary School. Long awaited progress on this would be very welcome.

I hope.

People do want to do it, The majority of people between 15 and 24 want Irish to remain compulsory.

There is no desire for forighn language immersion schools, there is for Gaelscoileanna.

They're not the only people in the country.

another thought: If they are willing for it to be compulsory, then hurrah, we don't need to force others, seeing as there is no risk of it becoming equivalent to classical studies on the totem pole. I'd rather whatever group wanted to to be compulsory did it themselves, they seem committed to the notion, not like the people who don't want to do it.

They're not the only people in the country.

Yes, But they are the people that this policy actually affects.

Do we have an foreign language immersion schools in this country for all these 15-24 years olds to compare?

This policy is not and should not be the only option on the table.Everyone in schools and everyone yet to go to a school from now until whenever the school system in abolished is affected and to a lesser extent so are the familes of any kids in schools.

No, it affects 5-17 year olds. There's 2 years out of the 9 years you specify that it actually effects. That's just cherrypicking statistics. I believe most people outside the 15-24 age group don't want it compulsory, too.

Do we have an foreign language immersion schools in this country for all these 15-24 years olds to compare?

Well there you have it, No one has set up these schools over the last 30 years, In the same period over 100 gaelscoileanna have been set up by parents. Which is in the most demand?

No, it affects 5-17 year olds. There's 2 years out of the 9 years you specify that it actually effects. That's just cherrypicking statistics. I believe most people outside the 15-24 age group don't want it compulsory, too.

How dose the LC affect 5 year olds? This policy is about the Irish for the LC, Not the whole education system. Those who are actually doing the LC are actually in the group most in favor of keeping it compulsory.

Well there you have it, No one has set up these schools over the last 30 years, In the same period over 100 gaelscoileanna have been set up by parents. Which is in the most demand?

Stop teaching Irish altoghter in schools then lets compare in 30 years time.
    The last 10 - 15 years have seen a huge influx of foreign people to Ireland, so why not wait a while to see what influence all these people have to the debate.
    How dose the LC affect 5 year olds? .

It doesnt now but they will be doing it in future and as below it affects 5 year olds a lot more than it will affect the current 15-24 year olds.
    Not the whole education system. Those who are actually doing the LC are actually in the group most in favor of keeping it compulsory.

How many 18-24 year olds are doing the leaving? You cant use a group of 15-24 years olds as your arguement then say it's the people doing the leaveing now when the vast majority of peopel in that group are finished their leaving. Anyway is it not stupidly short sighted to go on the opinions of the people who will not be affected by any policy anyway? Anyone in the LC cycle now will be doing Irish regardless of what happens in the GE or any policies brought in thereafter.

How dose the LC affect 5 year olds? This policy is about the Irish for the LC, Not the whole education system. Those who are actually doing the LC are actually in the group most in favor of keeping it compulsory.

I'd hope that this would be the first step in removing Irish as a compulsory subject at all ages.

Do you know what proportion of the 15-24s they are? 15-24 is a big group.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

I'll be lambasted for this, but I don't think it should be compulsary at all. I think Irish & Religion lessons should be given outside of the normal curriculum hours. Replace them with two european languages or one european one & one world one (Russian or chinese for example).

Irish is of no use outside of Ireland, whereby another language would be & Religion should not be in schools anyway.

For the record, I'm the father of a five year old who just started school this year & I'd still send her for the Irish lessons, until she was old enough to make up her own mind about it.

Stop teaching Irish altoghter in schools then lets compare in 30 years time.
    The last 10 - 15 years have seen a huge influx of foreign people to Ireland, so why not wait a while to see what influence all these people have to the debate.

Why would we stop teaching Irish in schools? There would be uproar.

Well so far they seam quite positive to the language, There is even a group called iMeasc for Forighn born Irish speakers that has been promoting the language to immigrants over the last few years.

It doesnt now but they will be doing it in future.

And you think they should be consulted? There parents perhaps, But five year olds?
    How many 18-24 year olds are doing the leaving? You cant use a group of 15-24 years olds as your arguement then say it's the people doing the leaveing now when the vast majority of peopel in that group are finished their leaving. Anyway is it not stupidly short sighted to go on the opinions of the people who will not be affected by any policy anyway? Anyone in the LC cycle now will be doing Irish regardless of what happens in the GE or any policies brought in thereafter.

Around 50,000 I would imagin. Why? That is the group as it was broken down in the newspaper. It is the group closest to having done the LC.

Why would we stop teaching Irish in schools? There would be uproar.

Well so far they seam quite positive to the language, There is even a group called iMeasc for Forighn born Irish speakers that has been promoting the language to immigrants over the last few years.

And you think they should be consulted? There parents perhaps, But five year olds?

Around 50,000 I would imagin. Why? That is the group as it was broken down in the newspaper. It is the group closest to having done the LC.

Why do people in general get their vote ignored once they are above 24? Surely they have more experience of how useful and beneficial irish is in the real world?

Why would we stop teaching Irish in schools? .

I was being a tad facetious with that reply.

The pont was though, that 30 years without Irish may well change peoples attitude to it and the setting up of schools could easily swing towards German or French etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

iMax wrote: »
    I'll be lambasted for this, but I don't think it should be compulsary at all. I think Irish & Religion lessons should be given outside of the normal curriculum hours. Replace them with two european languages or one european one & one world one (Russian or chinese for example).
    Emm, Russia is in Europe but I kjnow what you mean. Religion has no place as a mandatory subject in this day and age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I think people should have a choice; I think in many ways it could actually help Irish. Most people resent having to learn Irish in school as a hindrance and waste of time, taking away from learning more useful subjects. It should be left to each school to decide if they want to make it compulsory or not.

The views of a small minority of Gaelgoir-nazis shouldn't determine the right of everyone to decide whether they want to take the subject or not at Leaving Cert level.

• Advertisement

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Emm, Russia is in Europe but I kjnow what you mean. Religion has no place as a mandatory subject in this day and age.

As the only atheist in my primary school class\school\district when I was a kid I got totally ostracised by the school when religion class came around. I believe things are better, but no better way of making a kid feel like an outcast than by telling one bunch of kids that you believe in this guy, and you are blessed, and therefore that kid out there must be some sort of ****.

I should have put this in the things that scarred you thread. Sigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I don't think any subject at all should be compulsory for the Leaving Cert and the pupil should be able to just pick whatever subjects they like/are good at. I believe there should be certain compulsory subjects pre Leaving Cert years all right, as that gives the pupil enough time to figure out their strengths and weaknesses.

Dudess wrote: »
    I don't think any subject at all should be compulsory for the Leaving Cert and the pupil should be able to just pick whatever subjects they like/are good at. I believe there should be certain compulsory subjects pre Leaving Cert years all right, as that gives the pupil enough time to figure out their strengths and weaknesses.

I'd have no problem with a customised LC for people. What I definately think needs changing, which incorporates my stance on the teaching of Irish is that people need to be prepared in school to emerge in to life in a 21st century Europe and /or world and not a pre 1950's Ireland.

I'd have no problem with a customised LC for people. What I definately think needs changing, which incorporates my stance on the teaching of Irish is that people need to be prepared in school to emerge in to life in a 21st century Europe and /or world and not a pre 1950's Ireland.

I'd just settle for burning every single copy of Peig in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I did the Leaving Cert 15 years ago and it was dreadfully dreary - such an archaic curriculum. I assumed it was somewhat updated since, but it doesn't sound like it.
    I don't think it's necessary to do away with Irish though. I also think Irish, by its nature, is gonna be a somewhat archaic course. I'd prefer that to trying to modernise it and make it "down with the kids".

• Advertisement

But Irish is a modern language, it has modern words for modern things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Language and maths teaching both need a severe overhaul in our school system.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Give post-junior cert students a choice. There is no rational reason to force it, and all this 'its our culture' crap is too sentimental for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

true, although was referring to the post that about the amount of poetry etc making the course ridiculous. there's not many opportunities to refer to english poetry in the daily run of things either. nothing against learning it if you want, but if you're making the case against the irish literature, then the same should apply to english literature.
    Not really, no. Any 18 year old has the capacity, if not the desire, to pick up a book of english poetry and read it and standing half a chance of extracting some meaning from it.
    The same simply cannot be said of Irish.

I'd argue that studying poetry in a language one is fluent in opens a door for the future, studying it in a language that you are not fluent in reduces the experience to mere rote learning.

Dudess wrote: »
    I did the Leaving Cert 15 years ago and it was dreadfully dreary - such an archaic curriculum. I assumed it was somewhat updated since, but it doesn't sound like it.
    I don't think it's necessary to do away with Irish though. I also think Irish, by its nature, is gonna be a somewhat archaic course. I'd prefer that to trying to modernise it and make it "down with the kids".

To Late, It is modern, and it is with the younger generations that Irish is most poular.

To Late, It is modern, and it is with the younger generations that Irish is most poular.

Well then there should be no opposition to making it optional. Surely there wont be a drop off in numbers.

I found some intresting statistics
    79% of people aged 15 - 24 are of the option that another subject should be taught through Irish at primary school level (Ipsos MRBI 2010)

65% of people are of the option that Irish should be compulsory for the Leaving Cert (Ipsos MRBI 2010)

Labour Supports Irish

Well then there should be no opposition to making it optional. Surely there wont be a drop off in numbers.

Well, you assume the only reason someone would not choose to do Irish is because they dont want to.

There are several factors that would influence people not to Choose Irish, even if on balance it is something they would like to learn.

-The first and most important factor is its poor curriculum, Even if you want to learn Irish, you wont learn it in the current LC course.
    -Languages are considered harder subjects to learn and do well in, This is a very important factor when points is such a large factor in the choices people make in the LC.
    -Irish has 7.5 hours of exams at the end of it, How many people will choose that work load when they can do a subject that has 2.5 hours of exams at the end of it for the same points.
    -Competition, Due to Timetabling Irish will often clash with other subjects that people want to do. People may want to do Irish, But not as much as they want to do History(For example) that is timetabled at the same time in their school.
    -Irish will not be available in all schools.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

For my part, I would be genuinly shocked if Enda went ahead with this Idea. It will be opposed every step of the way.
    By the same quite small but very loud gaelgoir mafia as before.

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    But there wasn't a battle between English and Irish, there was a centuries long occupation by the English who made a determined, extended and violent effort to stamp out the Irish language. It's not like a panel of judges sat down one day and considered each on their individual merits. This isn't an "800 years" thing either, its hard reality.
    So what? You could say similar about many many languages. Including English. Do you know anyone that can speak Aztec, or Norman?
    The Irish language is a vital part of our culture, and before anyone starts moaning about the value of culture,
    I've no issue with our culture. I just question the value of the language to it, or at least how much of a value that is. The vast majority of our greatest cultural giants(and exports) couldn't string a few words of it together.
    think about making the national flag a uniform grey sheet and stop the sale of all clothes in colours outside grey. People aren't machines, there's more than the sum of our biological parts in there.
    Emotive, but ultimately empty rhetoric. Are you in politics?

People like Irish culture, and want to get more of it, it has a solid, quantifiable economic value. And of course, language is a vital part of that - how would you feel if you went to say Japan and found everyone there conversing in English with a Texan drawl? You'd feel diminished, lessened, as though the world was a little less bright. And you wouldn't be going back either.
    Utter bollocks. You'd likely have more english speaking people going back in that case, not less.
    One other note: I don't think Inda has more than a cúpla focail himself, so we'll have a Taoiseach who doesn't speak the language of the nation.
    You're wrong there, but even if you weren't, so what? He'd reflect more of the majority of the people of this island, not the 40,000(if that) fluent speakers.
    Not so amazing when you consider the better funding, more interested teachers and smaller class sizes. That would have as much to do with it as the second language. I'd be pretty sure private well funded schools entirely through the medium of English would fare equally well.

It will survive or grow if people want it. Simple as that. After nearly a century, while there have been some upward trends at times, the overwhelming direction is downhill for Irish. What does that tell you about the Irish themselves? They dont particularly wanna use it. Oh they'll say in surveys and the like "oh sure. Irish is only greeeat", but try asking the same surveys as Gaelige. Good luck with that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

When is this going to be put in place?
    I'm doing my leaving next year honours irish and I only know the basics. It's a dreadful course :mad:..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Well, you assume the only reason someone would not choose to do Irish is because they dont want to.

There are several factors that would influence people not to Choose Irish, even if on balance it is something they would like to learn.

-The first and most important factor is its poor curriculum, Even if you want to learn Irish, you wont learn it in the current LC course.
    -Languages are considered harder subjects to learn and do well in, This is a very important factor when points is such a large factor in the choices people make in the LC.
    -Irish has 7.5 hours of exams at the end of it, How many people will choose that work load when they can do a subject that has 2.5 hours of exams at the end of it for the same points.
    -Competition, Due to Timetabling Irish will often clash with other subjects that people want to do. People may want to do Irish, But not as much as they want to do History(For example) that is timetabled at the same time in their school.
    -Irish will not be available in all schools.

If Irish is as popular as your statistics seem to suggest, it has nothing to fear from being made optional. If it does experience a drop-off you can be sure that a reform of the curriculum (now long overdue) will be implemented to stop the bleed.

I suspect the wiles of GAA playing Gaelgoir Irish Teachers and their ilk will prevent this policy going further than Enda's grey cells. Nice idea though.

Wibbs wrote: »
    By the same quite small but very loud gaelgoir mafia as before.

You think it is valid to compare a Cultural Interest group with a violent Criminal Gang?:rolleyes:

LOL

You're wrong there, but even if you weren't, so what? He'd reflect more of the majority of the people of this island, not the 40,000(if that) fluent speakers.

Nope, its not that.:rolleyes:

Not so amazing when you consider the better funding, more interested teachers and smaller class sizes. That would have as much to do with it as the second language. I'd be pretty sure private well funded schools entirely through the medium of English would fare equally well.

Care to back up these claims? You know, with evidience? Some Gaelscoileanna dont get any state funding.

It will survive or grow if people want it. Simple as that. After nearly a century, while there have been some upward trends at times, the overwhelming direction is downhill for Irish. What does that tell you about the Irish themselves? They dont particularly wanna use it. Oh they'll say in surveys and the like "oh sure. Irish is only greeeat", but try asking the same surveys as Gaelige. Good luck with that.

Ah, so much opinion, so little evidience. Care to show evidience of an 'Qverwhelming downward trend' for Irish in recent times? Anything? Anything at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

I agree with the idea of Irish no longer being compulsory for the Leaving Cert, its a failed policy and the time has come to admit this and bring it to an end. But no matter how determined FG are, it won't happen as the vested interests will come pouring out of the woodwork using emotive issues such as the defence of our national culture, language, pride in all things Irish etc. The real reasons why it won't happen though, is that too many of these vested interests depend on compulsory Irish for their living, as less students taking Irish means less need for Irish teachers, less need for Irish grinds, less need for Irish language text books, fewer trips to the gaeltacht, less interest in gaelscoileanna and with thousands involved in these sectors, there would be a huge and powerful lobby to maintain the status quo.

The likely result wouldn't be an instant climb down but rather the dreaded "review" of the way Irish is taught to LC level, perhaps accompanied by a "review" of the Irish syllabus and course contents, all of which would take a year or two to complete, after which a report will be submitted to the government, who will then sit on the report for another few months. The issue would then be pushed onto the backburner as the government decides not to lead on the issue, but rather to bow to the vested interests.

The way Irish is force fed to students wasn't working ten years ago, it isn't working now and it won't be working in ten years time either, but assuming anyone has the vision to make the big leap and end compulsion, rather than catering to the powerful lobbyists, is pure delusion. It hasn't happened and it won't either.

heyjude wrote: »
    I agree with the idea of Irish no longer being compulsory for the Leaving Cert, its a failed policy and the time has come to admit this and bring it to an end. But no matter how determined FG are, it won't happen as the vested interests will come pouring out of the woodwork using emotive issues such as the defence of our national culture, language, pride in all things Irish etc. The real reasons why it won't happen though, is that too many of these vested interests depend on compulsory Irish for their living, as less students taking Irish means less need for Irish teachers, less need for Irish grinds, less need for Irish language text books, fewer trips to the gaeltacht, less interest in gaelscoileanna and with thousands involved in these sectors, there would be a huge and powerful lobby to maintain the status quo.

Ya, Not to mention that the majority want Irish to stay compulsory.

The way Irish is force fed to students wasn't working ten years ago, it isn't working now and it won't be working in ten years time either, but assuming anyone has the vision to make the big leap and end compulsion, rather than catering to the powerful lobbyists, is pure delusion. It hasn't happened and it won't either.

Talking of emotive arguments:rolleyes:

The vast majority of people support Irish, The majority want Irish to remain a compulsory subject, Those who dont want to learn Irish can easily get themselves exempt(There is no requirment to sit the exam)

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

If this were to go ahead, when would it come into place, anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Finally, teachers might start teaching something useful and relevant at LC level.

orourkeda wrote: »
    Finally, teachers might start teaching something useful and relevant at LC level.

Like what??

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Ya, Not to mention that the majority want Irish to stay compulsory.

Talking of emotive arguments:rolleyes:

The vast majority of people support Irish, The majority want Irish to remain a compulsory subject, Those who dont want to learn Irish can easily get themselves exempt(There is no requirment to sit the exam)

tbh you're a bit deluded. The majority of people are apathetic to the language and wouldn't care if it was no longer compulsory. I don't have a problem with it being compulsory as long as it is taught properly. It should be almost entirely oral, especially in primary school. Irish class from Infants to 6th class/1st year should consist entirely of purely speaking Irish. Forcing people to learn about Irish poetry does the language no favours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Like what??

Allowing students a choice in the matter. At least then we'll have a more accurate reflection on the true popularity of the language among students. The students will be doing the language because they want to rather than having it forced on them. The same should also apply to English and Maths.

Surely learning a subject that one enjoys and has an aptitude for is more beneficial to all involved.

• Advertisement

Irish isn't that hard a language to learn, spelling is quite regular, pronounciation is quite regular, 11 irregular verbs, once you know the sentence structure and prepositions, you'll be flying.
    An Roinn Éadochais has failed us in our learning of our national tongue

Advertisement