Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unblocking Outside Toilet Drain DIY or Dynrod Big Guns

• 07-02-2011 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi there, Our outside toilet drain is blocked for the 2nd time this year. Someone using hand roll for toilet paper :mad: ! Not me. In any event the outside toilet drain gurgles up around the drain lid when you flush the toilet. Last time Dyno rod had it done it 5 minutes. Is this a DIY job or one would really need some heavy equipment (and a strong stomach) for unblocking this mess? Is it worth picking up some drain rods or will just push the blockage further and further down exascerbating the problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

Get the rods and do it yourself its not a big job just push it down an dhave a few large buckets of water or a barrel if possible to give it a good flush. job done. 20-30 quid verses 200-300 for dynorod.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Snazzy_Chazzy

Get the rods and do it yourself its not a big job just push it down an dhave a few large buckets of water or a barrel if possible to give it a good flush. job done. 20-30 quid verses 200-300 for dynorod.

Cheers Studly, Ill pick some rods up in woodies today. Quick one, Should I push the rods in the direction of the street as i assume the sewer would be under the main road? Ill get my grandads WW2 gas mask too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

Cheers Studly, Ill pick some rods up in woodies today. Quick one, Should I push the rods in the direction of the street as i assume the sewer would be under the main road? Ill get my grandads WW2 gas mask too :D

Just be careful with the rods be sure not to turn them anti-clockwise thus loosening one - you don't want to lose one down there!

CBYR1983 wrote: »
    Just be careful with the rods be sure not to turn them anti-clockwise thus loosening one - you don't want to lose one down there!

Cheers CYBR yeah was reading another thread where a guy did that sounds a NIGHTMARE:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stee.mc79

Pair of good gloves old cloths set of rods, had to do the same myself found out the builders had used the toilet drains for dumping the Plaster, when they where building the estate. So when your doing it make sure there's no obstructions left before you finish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

Flush the toilet to see where it come out so you can figure where it has to go to get away and shove it that way(sound like it maybe the street in your case). If your bath runs into the drain have it filled also as you really want water in the pipe your pushing. The aiea is to push the water down the drain with the rod so the water infront of the rod is under pressure to push through or breakup the blockage so water is needed as it willalways be getting away. Remember your marigolds...

Just got some rods. no joy. Hitting a brick wall under there, Going back now to get the claw head attachment to horse what ever is under there outta it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stee.mc79

Try not use the claw attachment yet keep working with the rods alone if you get the claw stuck it's game over.

stee.mc79 wrote: »
    Try not use the claw attachment yet keep working with the rods alone if you get the claw stuck it's game over.

Well used the claw... the plunger...the scraper the wheel piece coming up against a brick wall. time for drain master. god dammit. we were lashing the rod down goes so far them jambs on. 40 minutes trying to knock it through.

seems i may have been prodding the wrong way. (towards the front garden)
    Mate who is a plumber reckons the the sewer maybe draining towards a sewer towards the back of the house

• Advertisement

GAME BALL, ok thanks all for the advice. For those of you in the future that have this problem key lesson.
    DONT ASSUME YOUR DRAIN, DRAINS IN THE DIRECTION OF THE ROAD
    Mine was actually draining towards my back garden.
    Had been pushing rods to front of house for an hour. The minute i figured it out WALA
    ANOTHER LESSON LEARNED
    Dont bother with with drain people unless you have to. Called a guy who over the phone told me it would be (((a power jet job))).... OH REALLY
    150 all in he says. Power jet my hole. If i had of known to push backwards it would have been out with a few drain rods in 10 mins.
    45 quid for your rods and attachments your laughing ! And it had been blocked for a few days so there

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Drake66

Well done. From my experience even when you know the route it can still take quite a while to strike and clear the blockage. The last time it took me nearly an hour on a straight line. The rods were bending and hitting the side of the drain. Bloody good sense of achievement when you get the effer cleared though :).

and last lesson kick the head off the knob thats throwing cigarettes down the toilet I noticed about 10 ciggy butts all accumulated. Dont know how they clogged though. Not to take a long bath and get this bang of my hands lol

Advertisement