Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whiskey advice

Options
  • 07-02-2011 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi all,

Could someone recommend the best whiskey out of this lot? I have a gift voucher to use up and this small list is what I have to choose from. I've only just discovered that whiskey can be as enjoyable as craft beer so I'm fairly clueless...

Bushmills 10
    Black Bush
    Glenkinchie 12
    Talisker 10
    Caol Ila 12

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

iambrazil wrote: »
    Hi all,

Could someone recommend the best whiskey out of this lot? I have a gift voucher to use up and this small list is what I have to choose from. I've only just discovered that whiskey can be as enjoyable as craft beer so I'm fairly clueless...

Bushmills 10
    Black Bush
    Glenkinchie 12
    Talisker 10
    Caol Ila 12

Thanks!

First off not an expert just enjoy my whiskey.
    Bushmills 10 is a nice unpeated malt with plenty of fruit and spice flavour and an oily taste , a bit like apot still! and would be my choice of the Irish. Black Bush is a fine blended whiskey but the 10 yo malt is just that step ahead in nose and finish which for me are as important as taste.
    Of the Scotch I have only tried the Talisker 10 y-o. It is a lovely whisky, peat and light smoke elements here. Very flavoursome and a good intro to Scoth malts.
    A toss up between the 2 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

They're all good. Personally, from that list, I'd go for the Talisker 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭AkiThePirate

I'd highly recommend the Bushmills 10 and the Talisker 10.
    Black Bush is also delightful, but not as much so. If you're interested though, O'Briens are selling Black Bush for €20 a bottle. I've been through two since Christmas. :o It's a great whiskey to have a couple of, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭iambrazil

thanks for advice all. I went for the Talisker. Looking forward to trying it!

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Good choice and there is a lovely Pepper kick there to tantalise the taste buds, enjoy.

I would of gone for the Blackbush second which to me is a much richer and interesting whiskey than the Bushmills 10yo which is more of an easy drinker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Antigrav

Blackbush is aged in sherry barrels where the Busmills Single Malt and Old Bushmills is aged in bourbon barrels.

This gives the difference in colour and taste.

I'd always go for the single malt myself ;-)

The Bushmills 10 is mainly matured in bourbon barrels, but it has some sherry too, I think. The Bushmills 16 is matured in bourbon, sherry and port barrels. And the Bushmills 21 bourbon, sherry and maderia casks. The 16 and 21 are finished in port and madeira, respectively. Not sure there's any Bushmills single malt just matured in bourbon, apart from some single cask versions.

And I think the Blackbush has some bourbon matured whiskey in it. The grain whiskey is likely to have been matured in bourbon barrels anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dave D

Ive taken a liking to Bushmills 10yo lately when the wallet has a few extra euros, But if not then I usually go for the Blackbush.

And for any Single Malt snobs out there ... Blackbush has over 70% single malt content so has possibly the highest single malt content of any blended whiskey or whisky in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

How much pot still content has Powers btw? To me Powers isn't far off Redbreast in flavour would be interested to hear if I'm on the right track here!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭n0irin

I really like Blackbush but I think I'd have gone for the Bushmills 10, to try it. Interested to know how the Talisker goes as I've never tried it, I hope you enjoy it!

buck65 wrote: »
    How much pot still content has Powers btw? To me Powers isn't far off Redbreast in flavour would be interested to hear if I'm on the right track here!

I think it has slightly more PPS content than Jameson but there is a slightly different make up to the actual potstill whiskey used. Also there is more bourbon barrel matured potstill whiskey used in Powers than say Jameson and it is spicier ... to me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

If you really are cluless then I'd advise at least getting a taste of scotch and Irish whiskeys in a pub before getting a whole bottle!

I LOVE Irish whiskey but scotch not so much!!

I would defo pick the bushmills!! Its a lovely blend.. has a nice kind of subtle woody undertone in it!

Advertisement