Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop engineers report - where?

• 07-02-2011 12:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get an engineers report for a laptop, anyone have any idea where it can be done?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

A what sorry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

fried nvidia chip by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

Jumpy wrote: »
    A what sorry?
    sorry, an engineers report. Basically laptop is faulty, I need a report of the cause.

phill106 wrote: »

yeah that's the problem alright! I need a report so I can get some joy from the vendor

Not sure about limerick/ireland but http://www.nvidiadefect.com/need-an-independant-engineers-report-t62.html

Im a certified IT engineer, would anything i sign be worth paper it is written on?

• Advertisement

Not sure about limerick/ireland but http://www.nvidiadefect.com/need-an-independant-engineers-report-t62.html

Im a certified IT engineer, would anything i sign be worth paper it is written on?

I honestly have no idea, they were being quite vague about it. they want an engineers report, but weren't forthcoming with any further details! I'll try find out more if I can...

actually phill106 do you have headed notepaper? or do you work for a company that does? I mean, I already know what the problem is, I just need a convincing looking report! :D

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Struggling to see why you'd need one. Presumably, you want this to get a repair under warranty. If it is faulty, it's going to be a manufacturer repair.

Can't you send it to them?

Failing that, will they pay for this report to be done? Assuming so, bring it to any computer repair place.

Could be a cunning trick though.

You: Here's my engineer report!
    Them: Very nice. Did you get this done in our clean room on the dark side of the moon? *Evil cackle*

Be careful about who you let open it up.

MarkR wrote: »
    Struggling to see why you'd need one. Presumably, you want this to get a repair under warranty. If it is faulty, it's going to be a manufacturer repair.

Can't you send it to them?

Failing that, will they pay for this report to be done? Assuming so, bring it to any computer repair place.

Could be a cunning trick though.

You: Here's my engineer report!
    Them: Very nice. Did you get this done in our clean room on the dark side of the moon? *Evil cackle*

Be careful about who you let open it up.

the laptop is out of warranty. It's over 2 years old, but the nvidia defect means that at some stage, all of the graphics chips in a certain series will fail. The one on this laptop has failed ( I am 95% certain). Because so many of them have failed and are continuing to do so, if you can prove that it is the chip that failed, the vendor is obliged to refund/replace it as it has been proven not fit for use.

The onus is on the customer to prove the problem exists, but I presume once I get a qualified engineer to sign an official looking report that will do the trick. In the long run, the vendor will be seeking compensation from nvidia anyway, so they just want their arses covered in that respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭horse7

try pc world.

• Advertisement

thanks, I'm waiting on them to get back to me, I've been told they don't do them

The link above knows all about that nvidia thing, and had done reports for lots of people. uk though... Maybe post on that forum there, see if other irish peole had found someone.
    As for headed paper, no I am not a registered company so probably not the best option!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

Try these companies, all located in Limerick
    http://www.dbcomp.ie
    http://www.bcs.ie
    http://www.paqit.com
    http://www.fbs.ie

All reputable but might charge for report, ring around and be nice on the phone, they might help out. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

The moment anyone tries to pull it apart they will refuse any sort of replacement.

There is not anything that I have heard of called an engineers report on a notebook.

The notebook is dead, if its just over the two years then just go small claims court. I wouldnt bother personally with a report, they are just trying to get rid of you. Most likely they will settle before the date.
    If its like 5 years old I wouldnt bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

Engineers Reports do not require the laptop to be taken apart. I have written up many of these for companies. They are just looking for a second party to confirm the unit is faulty. The benefit of using a reputable company is that will play better with the people requiring the report.
    I hope this helps.
    bp

Advertisement