Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reflective Metering - Cheap & Easy?

• 07-02-2011 12:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have need of a meter to do reflective metering. Can anyone recommend something cheap and easy to do this? It's for landscapes, so I presume reflective is better than incident (i.e. to take readings from the sky, water, land etc), am open to correction on that though. I'd be very happy with some sort of little analogue device, so long as it worked. Save me carrying round a second camera, just to meter!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Hi All,

I have need of a meter to do reflective metering. Can anyone recommend something cheap and easy to do this? It's for landscapes, so I presume reflective is better than incident (i.e. to take readings from the sky, water, land etc), am open to correction on that though. I'd be very happy with some sort of little analogue device, so long as it worked. Save me carrying round a second camera, just to meter!

Thanks in advance!

Trawl through EBay for old analogue meters. KH was looking for one recently, don't know if he picked one up. I have an old jessops job, needle + dials job, match up on the EV given by the needle with the dials to get shutterspeed/aperture combinations. It's pretty small and light. I also have a Sekonic L-408 which has spot metering, flash metering, a whole pile of features to store and compare various readings etc etc. It's a bit larger and bulkier. For incident readings they tend to be more or less in agreement so if I'm just wandering around with print film loaded I'm inclined to take the jessops with me, otherwise the sekonic.

If you're looking through EBay avoid anything with selenium meters, chances are they're old and fried. I've got a couple of old cameras with selenium meters, none of which work. Also watch out you don't buy something that needs the curse of old camera gear, the mercury battery. Little bit of research is generally your friend in these cases.

In general I'd incident meter everything, just making sure I'm sitting in the same light as whatever it is I'm shooting, but I'm lazy that way. In general it'd be a better job than reflective metering, with meters you can't really be too sure what's contributing to the reading, but nowhere near as discerning as a spot meter in the right hands. That's a whole different ball game though. Time to pick up a copy of 'The Negative' once you start going down that route :)

Advertisement