Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leek Inspiration?

Options
  • 07-02-2011 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

Hi all

I have a fridge full of leeks thanks to a misunderstanding with the missus.

Has anyone any inspiring leek recipes that don't involve buying another fridge full of stuff to go with them? We have lots of potatoes but dont like potatoe and leek soup...

All advice appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

My friend from Madagascar used to make a dish where she got a big oven proof dish, and lined the bottom with sliced leeks. She would then lay fillets of white fish on top of this, drizzle with oil, dot with butter, salt, pepper and lemon juice. She would then cover this with foil and bake until the fish and vegetables were tender. She's serve this with crusty bread and butter. It was so so simple and so delicious.

Another thing to do is to try Asian cooking where you julienne your leeks and add them to stir fries and so on. That's all I can offer, I don't use leeks much except for soup!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

leeks are great with blue cheese

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

My OH made braised leeks recently which we had with pasta.

Think he just sliced the leeks, fried with onion and then added some stock and let simmer for about 40 minutes. He may have added creme fraiche at the end. It was absolutely beautiful. A really nice delicate flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

Hmm

Theres a few BBC recipes, leek spud and bacon pie and I think cheese too. Could be promising...

Thanks for the ideas so far folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

bordbia.ie have some recipes for leeks but limited to bacon & leek with pasta (already mentioned more or less), organic or non-organic leek and bacon tart, and steamed haddock with carrots and leeks.

Not sure you would use up a fridge-full.

Visit website - search our recipes - enter leeks in first box.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

You could try here: http://www.leekrecipes.org/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

They go well with all kinds of other soups, in pot-au-feu, stir fries, pies (with cheese and yoghurt, maybe salmon or bacon)... I love leeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

leeks are great with blue cheese

Yes! Baked sweet potatoes cut in half length ways, topped with chopped leeks fried in butter and some blue cheese, under the grill til the cheese melts...delish!

Leek can be used in so many things I think I could easily get through a fridge ful before they go off. Iv often added them to pies, stiryfrys and curries and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Saute some crushed garlic and chopped leaks in a pan, handfull or two of peas, and some chicken or vegetable stock. Reduce the stock until its almost all gone, makes a great side dish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭jassha

Try this

-chop leeks and saute them in a little butter for 3 or 4 mins
    -add glass of white wine and when almost evaporated and a glass of cream
    - cook for about 10 mins

Use above as a side dish with delicate white fish such as seabass

Delicious

Advertisement