Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average age of players

Options
  • 07-02-2011 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭

I'm just curoius as to the average age of the people on this forum.

I'm wondering is playing an xbox a younger person or are there a few 'older' games on here.

Your age group 248 votes

under 16
    0% 0 votes
    16-20
    1% 3 votes
    21-25
    9% 23 votes
    26-29
    21% 54 votes
    30-34
    26% 65 votes
    35-39
    21% 54 votes
    40-45
    12% 31 votes
    46-49
    4% 10 votes
    50-55
    2% 5 votes
    56+
    1% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I'm old enough to have had santy bring me a new NES.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

sink wrote: »

Lol me too, except that year I got an Amstrad cpc 464 with green screen :(

It had whopping 4mhz cpu :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

calex71 wrote: »
    Lol me too, except that year I got an Amstrad cpc 464 with green screen :(

It had whopping 4mhz cpu :pac:

Oric Atmos was the first I can remember but I've since been told that I had a Sinclair Spectrum (the one with the fleshy keyboard) first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Few years behind those who posted already. Gameboy was my first, so I'm still well up that hill... Not over it yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I did this same poll year ago and average age seems to be late twenties to early thirties on this forum!!

I'm 28 and will never give up gaming I'm addicted can't help it:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

i started gaming on a sega mega drive. those were the good old days
    then got into my game boy (pokemon).

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭I use the name izambard here also.

I can remember getting my Nintendo Entertainment System at Christmas when I was eight from Santa Claus and every Christmas since I've received gaming related presents.

Now that I'm 29 and the Christmas joy has lessened for me, the fact I know Santa Claus still visits my home to ensure I get what I request on Christmas Eve ensures I will continue to receive gaming related gifts for the foreseeable future. I loved the way he exchanged the socks my girlfriend told me she got me last year with a copy of Donkey Kong Country Returns!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

My dad plays most nights im on, only really plays COD or Rainbow 6, he is in his 60`s :D and only picked up his xbox about a year ago

i got a ZX spectrum 2+ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Ive a 1977 Atari 2600 still in its box and my first hand held was a Nintendo Game and Watch called Octopus thats from 1981 still have it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

My uncle is in his fifties and he plays Black Ops

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

projectgtr wrote: »
    My dad plays most nights im on, only really plays COD or Rainbow 6, he is in his 60`s :D and only picked up his xbox about a year ago

That's truly epic! Got my Dad a Wii a few years ago. He loves golf on it. Had to stop him playing the boxing game though. Thought he was going to have a heart attack the last time we played each other... he just turned 66 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Khyra24

I'm 24 and my first console system was Atari...

It doesn't matter how old you are...it's how you play the game!...and if you enjoy it or not. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

I am also 24, my first 'console' was the Amstrad CPC, games came on casette tapes and took an age to load (not one for the impatient) my favourites were Metroid, Altered Beast and Paperboy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

justryan wrote: »
    I am also 24, my first 'console' was the Amstrad CPC, games came on casette tapes and took an age to load (not one for the impatient) my favourites were Metroid, Altered Beast and Paperboy

i remember that my brother had one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

21 in 2 months

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

15 at the minute. My first console that i remember is my brother's n64 or sega saturn. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

24, sega game gear

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Youngest in my clan (of about 20ppl) is only about 24, oldest is up to 50 I think.
    Average is late 30's , they nearly all have wives and kids too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

24, Commodore 64 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

22 next week.

First console I owned was the sega mega drive

Since then I have owned a gameboy, gameboy colour, sega game gear, sega saturn, playstation, playstation 2, xbox, xbox 360.

Was so disappointed with the sega saturn and then all my friends laughed at me with their playstations :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 JeanPierre

is this a poll of users on boards or gamers in general!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

I can remember my first console was an Atari 2600. Pretty sure it was out the second hand shop. First "new" console would have been a sega mastersystem with enduro racer at christmas...I have a photo of me playing it at about 8 or 9 years old on christmas morning 1987 or 88....Delighted i was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

JeanPierre wrote: »
    is this a poll of users on boards or gamers in general!
    The xbox gamers on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

25. Got a Nes with my brother about 1990 I think, with the legend of Zelda. We wanted mario 3 but got another classic we didnt know anything about.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mickoc

I am 32 and getting alot of slack of the wife for playing xbox one.

I am 32 and getting alot of slack of the wife for playing xbox one. I cant see the problem, am I to old for this now or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

mickoc wrote: »
    I am 32 and getting alot of slack of the wife for playing xbox one. I cant see the problem, am I to old for this now or something?

I plan on gaming until I die tbh. Its a past time that makes you think as opposed to mindless TV show

I totally agree, its far more enjoyable and interacting then just watching the tv. Because I am getting slack I was starting to think that maybe I have outgrown this. I think some people don't understand that gaming is now really targeted at the mid-age consumer. Firstly the graphics are unreal on the xbox one. It really is an art with the level of details in some games. Then the price, its not cheap to own a console or purchase games. They have to be targeting people with an income and not just kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Exactly. Most gamers that spend the most money and are the early adopters of day one new platforms are in the 25-35 year old bracket and that is the main target market demographic despite what most non gamers think. It's not a kiddie industry anymore with Mario and Sonic running around all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

mickoc wrote: »

the trick is to occasionally involve her. co op on chariot, dance central or even a playthrough of something like the wolf among us are actually pretty enjoyable activites that can also help broaden the horizons of a non gamer.

Advertisement