Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acupuncture College

Options
  • 07-02-2011 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi

Just wondering if anyone could recommend where to do a course in Acupuncture part time??
    I've been looking at the college of medical acupuncture & tcm in Shannon but also at CNM's courses which have part time courses in Limerick & Cork.

CNM seem to have a broader syllabus in that you do a bit of Naturopathy etc. There's not much on the internet in the form of feedback or reviews etc.

Any info appreciated!
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭IPNA

Hi Katy,

I would suggest looking into Classical Chinese Medicine. My acupuncturist studied with the Irish College of Traditional Chinese Medicine.

The best thing to do is to find out where any of the school offering courses are held and ask to show up and sit in the back of the classroom to watch. So much of learning Chinese Medicine relies on the philosophies and demeanour of the instructor.

You want someone who is balanced within themselves, who doesn't have something to prove, and who is not out for money.

I have studied Classical Chinese Medicine in Canada, Ireland and the US. There are some real jerks out there teaching this. I have walked away from more instructors than I have found worthy of teaching.

The study of Chinese Medicine comes from within. Read broadly. Most of what I have learned has been out of class and on my own.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭offroadannie

Institute of Chinese Medicine in Milltown (Dublin)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 elle704

Hi

I am just looking for any advice on starting a course in Naturopathy? It's something i really want to get into and carve out a successful career helping people. I'm just a bit worried that after completing a very expensive 3 year course it will be hard to get a good clientele base to open a successful practice. Are people still skeptical about alternative medicine???

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

elle704 wrote: »
    Hi

Are people still skeptical about alternative medicine???
    Yes. Why would that change?

Positive responses ONLY please

• Advertisement

It was a plain response to your question. Some people are credulous, and willing to accept pseudoscience. Most aren't. The tone of your question suggested that by some miraculous stroke, suddenly everybody would have become credulous. What did you expect, posting in a Health Sciences forum?

You'll probably get a reception more to your liking over here... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=535

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

Why would you ask the question if you weren't going to accept an honest answer? It's illogical and pointless. Therefore, I think you'll do great in naturopathy.

Constructive & positive responses ONLY please

Constructive & positive responses ONLY please

They were positive. Previous poster even told you you'd be great at it!

There's no pleasing some people...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Are people still skeptical about alternative medicine???
    Yes.

Mainly because it's as effective as giving someone a glass of water and telling them "Ah sure you'll be grand".

I know that may not be the "positive, constructive" answer you were looking for to re-assure yourself but it's the honest truth.

• Advertisement

Actually, here's a positive response...

Save yourself the course fees. Make something up. Add the suffix -pathy. Sell it to people who should know better. Water, 'energy', and crystals have already been taken, so don't chance those.

Maybe a walking therapy? On paths? You could call it pathpathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

Sorry? You're on a Health Sciences board and you expect an unsceptical response? Scientists should always have a healthy scepticism, even for claims by mainstream science/medicine, it's perfectly ok, that's how science works.

Besides, people will respond as they see fit, you can't dictate the responses you wish.

Elle, on a less facetious note, I'd do some careful research into natureopathy teaching in Ireland before signing up to anything. A quick search reveals...

http://www.naturopathy.ie/home/about-hermann-keppler/

and...

http://www.truthaboutscientology.com/stats/by-name/h/hermann-keppler.html

You could find yourself on a slippery slope. You did say you were interested in helping people. Help yourself first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

If you ask a question, people will answer.
    Some of them will have a different opinion to you*. You've gotta be prepared for that.

*Especially if you're looking for 'positive' answers about an unscientific practice in a Health SCIENCES forum.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I'm closing as resurrecting Zombie threads is not allowed. That said feel free to post a new thread although positive and negative comments are allowed..
    Be prepared to quote scientific research to back up any comments btw.

FWIW am a fan of acupuncture (ducks to avoid flak)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement