Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

does anyone know any good websites that sell eCommerce website templates?

Options
  • 07-02-2011 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi, im looking to set up my own website selling consumer electronics, and I dont have much money at the moment to pay someone to create me one.

Does anyone know of any good websites where you can buy professional looking eCommerce templates already made up.

Ive been looking for a while now, and most of them look very cheap looking.

If any1 has any information I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

You can get decent templates for a couple of different CMS's at www.themeforest.net

However, I'd strongly suggest that you reconsider what you're doing. You will not be successful with an ecommerce shop selling expensive electronics if you don't have the resources to build the site properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

What ecommerce system are you going to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

I agree with Trojan, the DIY approach will not work.

Have you considered a hosted shopping cart option? This one looks OK and prices start at only $29 per month http://www.volusion.com

There's no point reinventing the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭robbie.dub

Hi thanks for all the reply's.

Ive found a very good template that i think will work.

I'm very new to all this so im not very familiar with the different shopping cart options. This one has an osCommerce shopping cart I think.

Would you recommend using this one?

Thanks again, really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I think this will be an expensive and time-consuming lesson for you. The positive side of the coin is that you will probably learn a lot from it.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Is there something im missing?

Ive found two templates that look very professional, there charging $108 for one and $120 for the other. One is a osCommerce template and the other is tomatoCart.

Is there a reason why you say it will be very time consuming. if you could just explain a bit more as again I am very new to all this.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

What they are saying (I think) is that unless you know some Photoshop, PHP, HTML, and CSS, there is a steep learning curve.

OsCommerce is an old system and is not very good. There are newer and better systems available.

Here is a good selection for you to choose from... http://mashable.com/2008/10/08/shopping-cart-solutions/

I'd recommend OpenCart or Zen Cart (An OsC spin-off) for begginer level and Magento Community Edition for something more serious. Magento Enterprise Edition starts at $13,000/year.

Get XAMPP (Apache web server you can run on windows) installed and away you go. If you find your in over your head then try one of the hosted solutions as suggested above or just pay someone to develop it for you. Good luck!

Edit: Here's a site where you can Demo the various CMS in the front and admin end without going to the trouble of installing them in XAMPP

OK, think i understand a lot know, spent the last few hours researching the different shopping carts.

Can I just ask you one more thing. I found a really good osCommerce design, that i really like, it looks very professional, and think it would really suit the products i am selling.

Is it possible to somehow get that design but with say a Zen shopping cart?

As i have been looking for a few days now at different templates, there are so many, but most look very cheap.

Again appreciate any information.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

robbie.dub wrote: »
    Is there something im missing?

Ive found two templates that look very professional, there charging $108 for one and $120 for the other. One is a osCommerce template and the other is tomatoCart.

Is there a reason why you say it will be very time consuming. if you could just explain a bit more as again I am very new to all this.

Thanks

There's a lot more to a website than just building it, it's not a case of 'build it and they will come'. While at the end of the day, and after a lot of hard work, you may have a functioning site, without an understanding of SEO, web-marketing, social networking and a whole host of other skills necessary to run a successful site you have a very small chance of making it work because you're not offering anything unique (or maybe you are and you just haven't mentioned it).

You will be up against a whole host of other sites that do have these skills and large budgets behind them.

At these early stages of your project your main aim seems to be to get a cheap web presence, understandable, but it doesn't bode well for the long-term prospects of the site.

In my experience your best hope is to go for a hosted solution like I mentioned above. They have instant set up, highly SEO'd and it seems to come with a mobile interface, that's the sort of thing that could give you an edge over your competitors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭philipm

Seriously reccommend www.shopify.com, it integrates with Realex for laser card payments, great templates too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement