Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Logitech Z 5500 Review?

• 07-02-2011 2:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at buying a set of these for my living room setup. Have a 42inch tv and blu ray player, just wondering whether this system would be powerful enough to fill a space approx 15 foot squared?

I've read a review online that these are purely computer speakers but with the inputs available and good value, can anybody reccommend these as a home theatre setup?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

in my opinion the speakers are too small logitech make very good systems for computers there subs are amazing for there size but generally only suitable for a small area around a desktop

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭luap_42

A 500 Watt speaker system is plenty of power for a 15 foot sqaure room, it should even be enough for a 20 metre square room. However, you should tread carefully with these speakers: 1. Logitech have just released their replacement (Z906), with better design and at a cheaper price €329 vs €399. You can now buy the Z5500 for €270 on pixmania. Although I believe the sound is probably identical. 2. The control pod can fail and will not be fixed by Logitech outside warranty (even if you pay). The subwoofer is unusable without the control pod. Not sure about the new system (Z906), but I would be very wary about buying anything Logitech that you do not view as disposable outside warranty. 3. The midrange is not supposed to be up to much, otherwise they are an excellent PC speaker system, probably not great for high quality music or AV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭andy1249

I have a set , they are where they belong , on the computer , they are not good enough for a home cinema system.

The inputs are limited , it has one optical , one co-ax , and a set of 3 x stereo RCA's that are common for computer soundcards.

Really , you should be looking at something with a HDMI input , something that can take advantage of the new HD sound formats found on Blu ray. The Z5500's cannot do that.

The blue backlight behind the control pod display is known to break , it went on mine a long time ago , it still works fine without it , but you should know that this is a known fault with the system.

The system is loud , no doubt about that , however the sound quality is boomy , muddy and indistinct , just about OK for movies ,terrible for music. Replacing the ridiculously thin speaker wire that comes with the system helps somewhat , but its a budget system intended for a computer and thats really all its good for.
    Gaming and the odd song on a computer system is what it does best. Its best is very average indeed.

Advertisement