Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roads in Tuam.....FFS.......!!!

Options
  • 07-02-2011 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭

It is nothing short of a f88kin disgrace, the level of disrepair the roads around Tuam have fallen into...

And spare me the bullsh1t about the sewerage pipes being laid .....Some of the worst streets in the town have not even been touched yet..

The bad weather of late...? Of course the roads were going to get ripped up even worse when they've not been touched for years...

Maybe someone can correct me, but I cant remember Shop st havin a decent surface for the last 10 years..What I can remember is the laughable attempt at lining out parking spaces along connaughtons, ryans etc. when the road resembled a main street in Basra......

Whatever about the town - how can Galway County council have let the N17 get to this state. Is this not supposed to be a national route...??

I could be wrong, but I think people would have much preferred to see roads like Shop St. and the N17 stretch out to Lidl tackled first, before closing down decent stretches of road outside Glynns and cutting up the ring road to Dunmore.......??

In my mind, the town council has p*ssed about trying to get a Health Campus in Tuam and pipe dreams like the f**kin railway project up and going while letting the place go to pot...

And the best of all..........
    An inner relief road.......You couldnt make it up...

Its about time the town council or the county council stopped trying to rip the palace up for an unneeded or unwanted tennis court..
    The palace is probably the last saving grace the town has, in what is turning into a national embarrassment....

Sort your sh1t out Town Council for Gods sake.........:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

+ 10, 000.

Hope Election Candidates read these bloody things and take note and ACT!
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Coming into Tuam from Milltown side, sign saying "Potholes for 5km". :rolleyes:

Actually re-reading the OP reminded me, coming into Tuam by the car garage on the Galway road there's a *massive* pothole, had to drive onto the kerb to get past it. Never saw anything like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 blairbe

They were bad 2 years ago when I did my driving test there. They literally havent been touched since. It's a disgrace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

A sign saying Potholes for 5km ??!!!! U kidding?!?! OhMyGod! A fricking sign up having to say it like??! Fecin hell. Well okay it is good to have fore-warning about them but it just puts me in a bad mood lol like everything everywhere is literally just going to pot so it is! The frequency/occurrency of potholes is so bad that it necessitates a sign!! That in itself is just absolutely crazy.

It is highly beneficial that Drivers are being fore-warned about it. BUT like, oh I don't know ...... Dont know anymore. :eek:

lmao! How literal do things have to get like??!! Even the necessity for a sign for pot-holes highlights a country going nowhere! :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I couldn't agree more. A National Secondary Road and the most important North - South link along the West and the bloomin state of it.

All I can say is that it gives a desperate impression of both Tuam and Galway and has done so for years and years. Both the Town Council in Tuam and Galway County Council together with their respective Managers should hang their heads in shame!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Drive through once every 2 weeks or so and it gets worse every time.
    My car has stiff suspension so I'm bouncing around like a loon in the car doing <10km/h

I've been through Gort when they were bad but they were timid when compared to this and were repaired once they got into really bad shape.
    Tuam's potholes have been left alone and are more like sinkholes.

The roads near Cregmore cross are also on their last legs. There was a pothole about 6" deep that spanned half the width of the road on a bad bend. It was repaired recently but is crumbling away again.

Is there something going on with the council that they are waiting until after the elections to do any work so any elected politicians can claim they helped get it done?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I was driving through the town centre earlier and the pot holes were being filled in on Shop Street

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

I'm surprised they were being filled in because there's no money for it. Apparently all over the country the maintenance budgets were all spent on salt during the cold spell. I don't think filling potholes with salt would be too effective!

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    I'm surprised they were being filled in because there's no money for it. Apparently all over the country the maintenance budgets were all spent on salt during the cold spell. I don't think filling potholes with salt would be too effective!
    I can assure you it wasn't salt they were filling the holes with.
    In saying that i'm pretty sure the roads will be back their normal terrible state within a few weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

amiable wrote: »
    I was driving through the town centre earlier and the pot holes were being filled in on Shop Street

I'm hoping when all the pipe laying is completed the will resurface all the roads around the town.

• Advertisement

hondasam wrote: »
    I'm hoping when all the pipe laying is completed the will resurface all the roads around the town.
    That is the plan i'm led to believe. Only time will tell i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stee.mc79

Ha, I've heard it won't be finished for another 2 years! Better buy a monster truck to get round the pothole's!
    Start taking pictures of them, get whatever traking or whatever damage is being done to your car. Bring the cost of getting it repaired to the council and get them to reembus you the money, thats the reason you pay ROAD tax, enough people do it they won't be long fixing the problem then! Tuams road are a disgrace!
    :mad:

stee.mc79 wrote: »
    Ha, I've heard it won't be finished for another 2 years! Better buy a monster truck to get round the pothole's!
    Start taking pictures of them, get whatever traking or whatever damage is being done to your car. Bring the cost of getting it repaired to the council and get them to reembus you the money, thats the reason you pay ROAD tax, enough people do it they won't be long fixing the problem then! Tuams road are a disgrace!
    :mad:

The council will not pay to fix your car I'm afraid. You will notice the signs warning about potholes now, this is their way of avoiding paying.

The council will not pay to fix your car I'm afraid. You will notice the signs warning about potholes now, this is their way of avoiding paying.

Well then is it not time people got up off there potholes and do something about it. Start a mass rally in the middle of tuam!

Well then is it not time people got up off there potholes and do something about it. Start a mass rally in the middle of tuam!

Do you know the population of Tuam, a mass rally might be over stretching it.

Do you know the population of Tuam, a mass rally might be over stretching it.

It is probably stretching it a bit but you catch my drift. We need to do something I mean how many people have replied to this thread. It must be only bothering us nobody else is doing any thing about it. Is there?:confused:

It is probably stretching it a bit but you catch my drift. We need to do something I mean how many people have replied to this thread. It must be only bothering us nobody else is doing any thing about it. Is there?:confused:

people in tuam are to lazy to walk their kids to school so asking them to get of their arses to do anything is just to much. The will complain a lot.

people in tuam are to lazy to walk their kids to school so asking them to get of their arses to do anything is just to much. The will complain a lot.

Fat lazy arses in cars. That's how you solve the problem. Get the Fat lazy arses out of there cars!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,905 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It's a vicious circle.

If you are walking on a wet day and a car comes along and hits a pot hole, you get soaked. So what do you do? You use your car, which in turn is adding to the traffic on the road and making the potholes worse.

I can't understand people who don't get out and walk on a dry day. It really baffles me.

mars bar wrote: »
    It's a vicious circle.

I can't understand people who don't get out and walk on a dry day. It really baffles me.
    Fat lazy arses in cars!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

I was driving through a few weeks ago down Tullinadaly road towards the town centre when I noticed what looked sand in the potholes down near the bicycle shop.

I was thinking "FFS, they're filling potholes with sand now", then I came upon who was doing it - it looked like some locals throwing sand out from a trailer behind their jeep.

I'm not sure if that made it better or worse, better because some guys had had enough and were trying to do something and I thought fair play to them, or worse because it's pretty bad when things get to that stage :eek:

So agreed, for a national primary route it is a complete and utter disgrace. It's simply yet more evidence, if any was needed, of complete tossers, i.e. the council and whoever are responsible, doing nothing but sitting in their ivory towers daydreaming up vanity projects and working out how to claim expenses while the very basic things that they're being paid to do fall to **** :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Seemingly the potholes in Tuam will not be addressed until the big dig is completed. Okay they will fill some of them in temporarily but there will be no road restoration works on the likes of Shop Street, Tullinadaly Road or Bishop Street until the dig is completed. So slow down and watch your tyres because the Council will only do tar and chip repairs in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

If memory serves me correctly, many roads in Tuam were resurfaced a decade or so ago.
    Since then, there have been two major excavations of the roads for services, not including the current big dig.
    However, during the building boom every tom, dick & harry dug wherever and whenever they chose.
    For the most part its these minor digs that have the roads destroyed.
    I haven't seen one instance of a road being 'made good' after these random digs.
    This is where the Council have let us down.
    The Council failed to ensure that the roads were repaired by those cowboys.
    Whether brown envelopes, negligence or other reasons were responsible i don't know.
    You can make up your own minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 GalwayGirl2011

Why do we pay road tax? What are they doing with all that money? Driving on these roads isn't good for your car. We pay tax and now we have to pay for new wheels, balancing etc.

Why do we pay road tax? What are they doing with all that money? Driving on these roads isn't good for your car. We pay tax and now we have to pay for new wheels, balancing etc.
    It's the same question you should be asking as to why you pay PRSI. It dose absolutely nothing for you covers nothing yet it's called an insurance, it's just another tax that generates revenue for the government and dose nothing for the roads or for YOU!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Richie..Galway

i will not pay rod tax when the renewal comes in the post, instead in my boot i will keep the two halves of the driver side front spring which snapped in two, the front drivers side shock top mount which had disintegrated, the drivers and passenger front dampers which were shot and the front right tyre which got ripped on a pothole, the two new shocks i got are now in danger of going south also and there is more knocking coming from underneath the car no doubt a worn bushing of some sort. I will keep all these bits in the boot and if a guard askes me why i have no tax i will open the boot and show him. it has cost me over 600 euro so far this year to repair our 2006 car as a direct result of potholes in tuam town, my other car which is a 740i bmw is now parked up untill the work is finished as she too got two 19" alloys kinked and a 250 euro tyre torn on the side wall also as a direct result of potholes in Tuam. if they take the car off me i will just pay the release fee and continue to drive untill they sort out this mess, it's not just since the "big dig" started but it has been like this a long time now the road from my house to the next junction which is about 400 metres long has over 60 ruts in the road where they dug across and refilled it with tar which has now sunk. it's a total disgrace to road users and pedestrians, imo coffees who are doing the work on the dig haven't a clue about road repair as some of the work they have left after them is whats causing a lot of damage. mark my words there will be an accident os serious injury in the town caused by cars swerving to avoid the huge ruts on the way out of town just past the cathedral.

Advertisement