Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Internet connection problem

• 07-02-2011 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi guys,
    Im new here so please excuse me if I posted this in the wrong topic. Recently I completely re-installed my computer. So basically it's like new. Nothing on it except the programs you get when you buy it. Im using Windows XP. My problem is I don't know how to connect to the internet. Before I reinstalled it, it worked perfectly. I have 20mb UPC broadband. When I click on Internet Explorer it asks me to work off line and connection problem. So basically it's like connecting to the internet for the first time. I'm writing this from my sisters laptop who is using the same broadband as me previously. Can someone please help me? I would really appreciate all your help.

Thanks a million,
    Alex

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭Sempai

I'm using Windows 7 but I hope this might help. Open Internet Explorer, select Tools, Internet Options and it will open a new window with approx 7 tabs. Select Connections tab, make sure Never Dial a connection is selected. Then click on Lan Settings. Make sure Automatically Detect Settings is selected and click OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 wackowski

Hi and thanks for taking time to try and help me out. I have followed your procedure and nothing changed. I have done exactly as you said but when I click on Internet Explorer again it says "The page cannot be displayed". Thanks for your help it is appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Are you trying to connect by wifi ? (ie is it a laptop ?) If so are wifi drivers correctly installed ?

do this:
    Start-->Run
    type 'cmd' (no quotes)
    type ipconfig /all

What does it list under either LocalAreaConnection or WirelessNetworkConnection for IP Address ? and DefaultGateway ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Hi Alex, you may already have done this but you have installed the drivers on the machine?

On XP, Right click on 'My Computer' and click on Hardware. You should see Device Manager here (there are a few routes to get to device manager, I think this is the easiest). This will give you a profile of all the hardware installed on your machine and if there is a yellow or red X on the devices then this means the drivers need to be installed on the machine.

If this is obvious to you I apologise.

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Are you trying to connect by wifi ? (ie is it a laptop ?) If so are wifi drivers correctly installed ?

do this:
    Start-->Run
    type 'cmd' (no quotes)
    type ipconfig /all

What does it list under either LocalAreaConnection or WirelessNetworkConnection for IP Address ? and DefaultGateway ?

Hi when I do ipconfig /all in cmdprompt nothing comes up. No details no ip address.

And no its not a laptop its a desktop computer. Compaq to be precise.

• Advertisement

Hi Alex, you may already have done this but you have installed the drivers on the machine?

On XP, Right click on 'My Computer' and click on Hardware. You should see Device Manager here (there are a few routes to get to device manager, I think this is the easiest). This will give you a profile of all the hardware installed on your machine and if there is a yellow or red X on the devices then this means the drivers need to be installed on the machine.

If this is obvious to you I apologise.
    Hello I have done exactly as you said and when I go into device manager there is a popout called "other devices" and it is opened and there are things like
    -Other PCI Bridge Device
    -PCI Device
    -SM Bus Controller
    -Unknown Device
    -Video Controller (VGA compatible)

They all have a YELLOW question mark (?) beside them?

Do you know what's going on here? And thanks...

wackowski wrote: »
    Hello I have done exactly as you said and when I go into device manager there is a popout called "other devices" and it is opened and there are things like
    -Other PCI Bridge Device
    -PCI Device
    -SM Bus Controller
    -Unknown Device
    -Video Controller (VGA compatible)

They all have a YELLOW question mark (?) beside them?

Do you know what's going on here? And thanks...

As I suspected, you have no drivers installed. You need to get the CD for the drivers, do you still have all the CD's for the PC? If its a dell you can get them on their website by inputting the Dell Service Tag (found on the underside of your PC and input it here:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Apologies if this seems like a stupid question.

How are you connecting your desktop pc to your broadband?
    Pretty much all laptops now have a wireless card installed, but not many desktops do.

If your desktop doesn't have a wireless card, you will need to connect it to the router using a network cable.

So you're connected with a cable then, to a UPC router or modem ...
    Did you find Device Manager? MyComputer - right click - Properties ...Hardware tab ..DeviceManager button

Is network card listed under Network Adapters ?

Perhaps check compaq (HP ??) website for drivers if needed

Oh my god sorry I didn't say that Im connected to a UPC router or modem. And yes in Device manager under Net Adapters theres something like 1394 Net Adapter. And i did't get any discs for the pc no recovery disks or device discs. While the computer worked properly approximately 24hours ago I kept on getting popups about creating recovery discs. And yes its a Compaq HP I think ...THANKS

• Advertisement

1394 is Bluetooth. Sounds like you need driver for wired network card.

[edit]
    Do you have anything else under Network Adapters ?

Does it look like the Ethernet port is built in to the motherboard or as a plug-in card ?

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    1394 is Bluetooth. Sounds like you need driver for wired network card.

[edit]
    Do you have anything else under Network Adapters ?

Does it look like the Ethernet port is built in to the motherboard or as a plug-in card ?

Under network adapters there is nothing else. There is a cable that is connected to the back of my computer and into the UPC router. I think that it is built into the motherboard. Sorry for my lack of knowledge about computers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Port Royale

hi wackowski,

daveyboy_1ie is absolutely right:
    As I suspected, you have no drivers installed. You need to get the CD for the drivers, do you still have all the CD's for the PC? If its a dell you can get them on their website by inputting the Dell Service Tag (found on the underside of your PC and input it here:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen

go to your computer manufacturer's website and download all drivers onto your sister's PC and use a USB stick to get them across to your PC.

...and 1394 is the integrated FireWire controller...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭skar

did you find service tag on your computer? or can you find model No or something?

I thought it's Compaq?? :rolleyes:

hi wackowski,

daveyboy_1ie is absolutely right:

go to your computer manufacturer's website and download all drivers onto your sister's PC and use a USB stick to get them across to your PC.

...and 1394 is the integrated FireWire controller...

How will I find where the drivers on the website are? Can you send me a link please. My computer manufacturer is Compaq.

skar wrote: »
    I thought it's Compaq?? :rolleyes:

It is Compaq. I didn't understand your previous post. Can you reword please?

1. go there: http://www.compaq.com/country/cpq_support.html
    2. select a task software & drivers downloads
    3. Enter a Product Number (you should find this on you PC case) and press >>
    4. choose your operating system
    5. choose Driver Network
    6. select/download Network Driver
    7. install it and restart your computer

or find your model No or Service tag no, then we can post direct link to corect driver ;)

Don't despair Alex, if it's a driver the manufacturer (compaq) will defo have the drivers and if you just click on their support section you will be guided through the steps. The site was designed with us in mind :)

Thanks a lot guys I will try this tomorrow. I will tell you how it goes. When I download them and transfer onto my computer what do I do then and do I install them? How big are the files I have to download approximately? In terms of mb or gb? Thanks a lot it is really appreciated.

• Advertisement

Hey Alex,driver software can be a few mb's to a few hundred mb's. Here is a link guide you on how to install drivers on xp. A quick google search will guide you to plenty of such guides, using your sisters laptop if course :)

http://www.ehow.com/i/#article_4592175

OK something very weird happened. As I turned on my PC I was given an option to click on three different things during startup. I clicked on one of the three and when my computer turned on everything was back like before I didn't reinstall my computer. I'm just curious if I brought my computer to PC world would they completely reinstall my PC with everything working properly? How much would that cost?

Advertisement