Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting pals 338 Lapua

Options
  • 07-02-2011 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭

Got to shoot my buddies 338 Lapua.

Based on a Remington 700 and heavily modified it is a truly accurate gun.

We got to shoot it out to 1200 yards - at this range the holdover is 134 inches for the load we were shooting - a 250 grainer at 2850 fps.
    I believe that load still retains 2000 ft/lbs of energy at 800 yards.

The gun is a beast, but the muzzle brake tames the recoils significantly, however high quality hearing protection for the shooter and spectators is an absolute must.

One surprise was the performance on 1/2" armour plate target.
    The attached pic shows 1" holes at 400 yards.

The guy that owned the target has both angry and amazed when he saw what the round did.

Hand reloading is a must since the ammo retails for over $20 per round!!

Makes me wonder why I left the US!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

I remember the first time I shot a TRG 42 in 338, no muzzle break and the dam thing gave me the "snipers kiss" ha ha.... serious round allright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭GixxerThou

I remember the first time I shot a TRG 42 in 338, no muzzle break and the dam thing gave me the "snipers kiss" ha ha.... serious round allright!

I used to own a trg in 338. Great gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

that is class, id say it was some crack shootin that distance! many of them in ireland?

that is class, id say it was some crack shootin that distance! many of them in ireland?

A 308 will shoot that distance, but at €5 a shot for the 338 there are not too many about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I shoould have mentioned that this was in California.

I do not know if these are available here.

Factor in the ammo cost and no way to handload here, they would be pretty tough to own in Eire.

Might be hard to get the caliber past the Superintendent too!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭steyrman2

hi i also shot the 338 here in ireland massive round there are a few here most of them in gun dealers now the are easy to handle with the mussle break or mod on them

steyrman2 wrote: »
    hi i also shot the 338 here in ireland massive round there are a few here most of them in gun dealers now the are easy to handle with the mussle break or mod on them

Id say the 3 of us are on about the same one eh Steyrman?!

GixxerThou wrote: »

Probably, although I know of two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭steyrman2

well me and you are on about the same one ;) but there is 2 others i know about tbh i do miss the bang out of it this is the one still have a few rounds belonging to it somewhere

Probably, although I know of two.

well I assume you fired the one in John greens which was my one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭stick shooter

well I assume you fired the one in John greens which was my one.

I have shot a 338 locally was cool . But i think i held gixxerthous trg 43 down at greens .

Advertisement