Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

toilet cistern constantly overflowing into toilet

• 07-02-2011 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

I have no idea what to do but ill give the basics here..dont know much about plumbing or toilets but this is whats happening. you flush the toilet and the cistern refills..the ball cock is staying under the water..i didnt think it was supposed to but anyway the water fills up into the cistern and then when it reaches nearly full height it starts to flow into a hollow object in the middle which makes it flow directly into the toilet so it is not overflowing at the moment because it is flowing into the toilet but this is constant and if i had to pay for water i would say it would cost me a bomb. and the outside of the cistern is getting a coating of water/condensation.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

The ballcock should always be floating on top of the water so thats your problem.

It may be scraping off the cistern wall and jamming so flush the toilet to empty the cistern then reach in and see if the ballcock moves freely or is it stiff.
    1. If its stiff and not touching the wall the problem is with the linkage or the valve
    2. If it isn't stiff or isn't touching the wall the ballcock could be punctured and is full of water - it won't float. You'll need to change the ball, I don't know i it can be bought seperately, it'll be easier to replace the whole lot - 10-15 euro I think is the price.

It would be better to replace the whole lot as the only thing I can think of stopping the ballcock rising is a tiny bit of dirt in the valve mechanism is jamming the valve open and through the linkage, jamming the ballcock down. You'll have to open the ballcock to look for that.

The few time I've tried repairing a ballcock I usually ended up replacing it anyway months/1 yr later

Hope that helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Can you post a picture looking into the cistern

Advertisement