Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't want Television License in rented house

Options
  • 07-02-2011 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

I'm sharing a house which comes with a TV, with two others. None of us ever watch TV, the TV license is coming up for renewal, and we don't want to pay it, especially because we will likely move out pretty soon. I am unsure on a couple of issues:

- If we ask the landlord to remove the TV, is that enough? Or is there any other "equipment capable of receiving a television signal" that we should worry about? Is it reasonable to ask him to remove the TV or could we just hide it in the attic or something?

- If the inspector calls, are they entitled to search the house, including bedrooms etc.?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Just stick it in the attic. The inspector has no right to search the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Penguino

I agree, put it in the attic. Out of site, out of mind

Just make sure not to damage it when storing, as it is probably on the inventory list on the lease. If you damage the TV the landlord could take it out of your deposit

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

You can leave the tv where it is. The tv license inspector has absolutely no right to enter your home without permission. So long as he doesn't have your name, or the name of anybody in your house, there's pretty much nothing he can do. If he calls, whatever you do, don't give your name and just tell him you are visiting or something or alternatively, just tell him to hop it and close the door.

Btw, I think its a disgrace to have to pay license fees to RTE to pay the likes of Joe Duffy and Marion Finucane 100000's a year. RTE's tv schedule is rubbish at the best of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Adelie

Baralis1 wrote: »
    You can leave the tv where it is. The tv license inspector has absolutely no right to enter your home without permission. So long as he doesn't have your name, or the name of anybody in your house, there's pretty much nothing he can do. If he calls, whatever you do, don't give your name and just tell him you are visiting or something or alternatively, just tell him to hop it and close the door.

That's grand in theory, and that's what I did in all my other rental houses.

But the reason we had to buy the last license was because the inspector happened to show up when the landlord was in to show a room, and the landlord let him in and gave his name! So we ended up paying 160 despite never watching the damn thing. How do TV license inspectors have such impeccable timing??

So I'd rather remove all risk by actually storing the TV away. (also it's possible to see it in the window)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The easiest way to stay off the system is never get on it in the first place.
    Once they have your name or in this case your landlords name they have you.

Yes, stick it in the attic or maybe someones room if they want it for DVD's or xbox, etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

Adelie wrote: »
    That's grand in theory, and that's what I did in all my other rental houses.

But the reason we had to buy the last license was because the inspector happened to show up when the landlord was in to show a room, and the landlord let him in and gave his name! So we ended up paying 160 despite never watching the damn thing. How do TV license inspectors have such impeccable timing??

So I'd rather remove all risk by actually storing the TV away. (also it's possible to see it in the window)

You were unlucky there! lol. I must admit I got caught myself a few years ago. Inspector called to the door while I had a match on tv very loud. I was caught unawares and just blurted out my name!

If you have an aerial, antennae, satellite dish or any other equipment capable of receiving tv signal on the outside of the house, it doesn't matter if you hide the tv. In their eyes, you are still liable for the fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Have your landlord take away the TV.
    Baralis1 wrote: »
    Its not that simple.
    Btw, I think its a disgrace to have to pay license fees to RTE to pay the likes of Joe Duffy and Marion Finucane 100000's a year. RTE's tv schedule is rubbish at the best of times.
    Lets not go there.

Advertisement