Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Devil's Ladder Gone To Hell

Options
  • 07-02-2011 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

I've never seen the Devil's Ladder as dangerous and unstable as it is at the moment. There's a week-old mini land and rock slide 5m down from the top and about 30/40m down from the top of The Ladder is a huge boulder (the size of a small home heating oil tank) which has slipped several inches in the past weeks and is ready to slip a lot more.

I remember a year or two ago there was a time when it was very unstable, but this is the most dangerous I've seen it yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

Anybody know the latest state of play with the proposal to bring in trail-building experts to tackle it? I haven't gone near it in over ten years, but the rate of erosion on the alternative routes in that time has been frightening...

There is an interesting piece on the Mountaineering Ireland website about it (with a request for comments before Feb. 21st....)

http://www.mountaineering.ie/accessandconservation/tier1viewdetials.asp?ID=25&Tier1ID=29

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

I'm not sure what stage it's at, apart from progressing slowly, but hopefully Mountaineering Ireland's latest move is promising...

Advertisement