Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TH42PZ81B user,solutions for irish dtt

• 07-02-2011 5:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭

hi

from reading around ,it seems that there is no way for me to get the irish dtt on this tv

i was wondering how do other panasonic users managed to get around this problem?

is getting a set up box the only way to view the digital channels?

i was also wondering if the cam module that the tv has,could be potentially used to receive them

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No Cam module will ever work for any TV.

http://www.saortv.info/terrestrial-saorview/the-black-list/

Not for Irish Digital.

The cam modules served same purpose as the Sagem Picnic. For MPEG4 Pay TV with no HD. Such type of service is specifically forbidden in UK, Sky "jumped the gun" getting the Picnic made. The market for MPEG4 CAM is similarly restricted. No true modern MPEG4 service anywhere can use them to convert MPEG2 TVs or Setbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

thanks for that link, very interesting,seems to me that the cam module is just an unnecessary add on

is a set up box the only way forward?

Setbox (essentially TV is then SCART or HDMI monitor) or a different TV, if your TV is not inherently MHEG4 + HD.

[edit wasn't clear enough, no opinion on compatibility, just stating a CAM is no solution]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

watty wrote: »
    No true modern MPEG4 service anywhere can use them to convert MPEG2 TVs or Setbox.

Thats not his problem Watty.

His problem is the TV has an MPEG4 L4 processor on board but the full service types have not been defined in the firmware. To put it mildly it has been crippled by Panasonic not to fulfill its potential. Oh it can do receive DTT with simple firmware fix, as the hardware IS on board to pick up Irish DTT.

Yes its one of those and here

What you need to do is find someone in the same transmission area (if you are dublin its 3 rock) with the same model ie PZ81 and load their channel list via the Hotel setup files. You may have to PM them but at least you can identify who has what.

Complain to Panasonic, they will tell you they have no love to offer.

thanks for the info guys

i posted my query on the main thread
    i dont see a file for ch54 for my tv so dont think I ll be in luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭PressTheButton

Welcome to the Panasonic TH-42PZ81B - Channel 54/Three Rock Digital Radio Club. :(

we're in trouble then! feel really let down by panasonic tbh, you 'd expect a recently purchased tv to be up to date

i guess the resale value it ll be pretty affected as well, who is gonna want to buy a non dtt compatible tv these days??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

To be fair to Panny that model is about 3 years old and was not sold in Ireland. I got mine from the UK. All UK PZ81 buyers are now stuck with a TV that won't receive Freeview HD, but neither will any other 3 year old set. Technical redundancy is the price of progress.

JonathonS wrote: »
    To be fair to Panny that model is about 3 years old and was not sold in Ireland. I got mine from the UK. All UK PZ81 buyers are now stuck with a TV that won't receive Freeview HD, but neither will any other 3 year old set. Technical redundancy is the price of progress.

No.

1. It was sold in Ireland, by the Panasonic Shop in Limerick and Richer Sounds.

2. It doesnt matter how old it is. When it was released it had the hardware to do it as it had to have the MPEG4 chip to decode Freesat HD. It was deliberately crippled in the firmware.

3. It did work with the MPEG4 H264 broadcasts. When RTE strting flaging the channels with data telling it what it was broadcsting its function stopped working because its software was incomplete. Panasonic attitude and customer support was very poor.

4. The model range that followed this the Panasonic G10/15 suffered the same fate as the previous LZD81/PZ81 range. Incomplete firmware.

5. Every other company that released a Freesat HD Combo TV ie Sony and LG DIDNT cripple the firmware.

6. The Panasonic Site detailing this product clearly says "Products - VIERA Flat Screen TV - PZ81 - Panasonic UK & Ireland" - the page is still up

6. In the detailed spec it says DVB-T n/a, DVB-T HD (H.264) n/a, DVB-S HD (H.264, FreeSat) yes. hardly helpful information!

7. We now have a situation where by people are hacking expensive LCDs and Plasmas to get around ETSI standards not being followed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Yes.

1. Last time I checked Belfast is in the UK ;), so Richer sounds were quite entitled to sell it. I can't comment on the shop in Limerick, I asked around Cork and Waterford for the PZ81 and was told Panasonic were not selling it in Ireland. If J4vier bought from an Irish retailer he could have a case against them, although I doubt he would be successful.

2-4. As I said the TV was not intended for sale in Ireland so these point are irrelevant.

5. You always seem to have a down on Panny and the hots for Sony and Samsung. Any vested interest at play here? The reality is that none of these companies, including Panny, give a s#!t about Ireland, so if their products work its coincidence, not planning.

6. That link is as old as the TV. See point 5. If you look at the bottom of the page you will see it says "Model numbers & specifications may differ in Ireland".

6(sic). Its hard enough to keep up with the specs of this year's models without having to remember 3 year old ones. I had a look at the detailed specs - couldn't find what you mention.

7. ETSI standards are a bit beyond me, but I found out to my cost over 30 years ago that importing UK TVs is a mugs game. It still is. I got the PZ81 to watch satellite and analogue. I was not even aware of Saorview at the time, so I can't honestly slag Panny if I have problems with Irish DTT. When I wanted a fully functioning Saorview 32" I got a Sony KDL-32W4000. But, its not approved, so I reckon if I have DTT problems Sony won't be rushing to help.

• Advertisement

i bought the tv from richersounds alright , but in december 08 all i knew was that the tv had mpeg4 decoding capabilities,so the hardware was there to meet the irish specs , and considering that it worked fine for a while I had no reasons to believe that it wouldnt work in the future.

i dont think 2 years for a tv is too long , i know technology moves fast but the prices of these items are steep enough and i would expect them to last a bit longer than that

Jon, OP (J4) started thread looking for practical advice on how to resolve the problem of receiving Irish DTT on his PZ81, a problem which owners of this TV did not have until relatively recently.

Two of the more knowledgeable members on this forum posted practical advice with the sole intention of being helpful in response.

Is it fair of you to suggest one of the aforementioned contributors with whom you do not agree might have a
    vested interest
    here? That remark is not merited and should be withdrawn.

Products must be durable, based on what a reasonable person would expect given the type of product and the price paid. A TV acceptably redundant after 3 yrs - or as in this case, 2 yrs? I should think not. Even Panasonic wouldn't agree with that one. After all, they backed this model with a 5 year warranty.

j4vier wrote: »
    i bought the tv from richersounds alright , but in december 08 all i knew was that the tv had mpeg4 decoding capabilities,so the hardware was there to meet the irish specs , and considering that it worked fine for a while I had no reasons to believe that it wouldnt work in the future.

i dont think 2 years for a tv is too long , i know technology moves fast but the prices of these items are steep enough and i would expect them to last a bit longer than that

The TV never worked properly. The Spec was published in Feb 2008 and that set never met it. It doesn't process the correct "broadcast flags" properly. For a while before official public transmission RTE was incorrectly using MPEG2 flags on MPEG4 transmission. This could cause a problem for set-boxes or TVs that do the software properly but very rigorously. So RTE NL have changed to using the proper signalling, as per the Feb 2008 spec. The spec hasn't changed in three years. Just RTE NL is now following it properly.

If you never said it was Irish Digital, then you have no "comeback". If you have documentary proof that you told shop is was Irish Digital, or they advertised it as for Irish Digital, it doesn't matter where in EU you bought it, they will have to refund, repair or replace as it's not fit for the purpose sold. It's a question of proving what the "contract" was then. It's totally a manufacturing defect.

If it was sold in an Irish shop and had digital or DVB-T on the packaging then there is an implied contract that it's suitable for Irish Digital, otherwise the Irish shop had a duty to mark it as "Analogue only terrestrial in Ireland, incompatible version of DVB-t" or similar. A retailer (online or in shop) outside Ireland has no such duty. But is liable only if he specifically claimed it was Irish Digital Compatible, as the Digital Labelling OUTSIDE Ireland only implies local compatibility. I.e. if it was in a New York shop it would be implied it was ATSC type digital Compatible by only having the word "Digital" on the packaging.

Be warned, there ARE USA models of DVB-T sets with almost identical model numbers and of course they only work in ATSC areas. (nowhere in Asia, Africa, Europe, Russia, China etc)

1. Last time I checked Belfast is in the UK ;), so Richer sounds were quite entitled to sell it. I can't comment on the shop in Limerick, I asked around Cork and Waterford for the PZ81 and was told Panasonic were not selling it in Ireland. If J4vier bought from an Irish retailer he could have a case against them, although I doubt he would be successful.

Richer Sounds were based on Dame St. They shut up their Dublin Shop. It is now a Phillips Store. The representative is the MD of Richer Sounds and The Phillips Store. Richer Sounds ship their products at a token rate to the Phillips Shop in Dublin. They have a forum here. The retailer in this case was totally innocent of any improprieties (he has openly posted on the subject). He couldnt have known that they would produce their own interpretation of ETSI standards. They no longer ship Panasonic products to Ireland.
    2-4. As I said the TV was not intended for sale in Ireland so these point are irrelevant.

They are very relevant. The DVB-T tuner should have been labeled as only having MPEG2 functions through deliberately employed firmware limitations.

Freesat isnt intended for Southern Ireland. It is intended for Northern Ireland. You tell that to those receiving DTT from Southern Ireland. Also tell it to those with Freesat products in Ireland. They are sold openly in DID electrical.

Most products intended for the UK market unfortunately end up in Ireland through UK chains stocking policies.

5. You always seem to have a down on Panny and the hots for Sony and Samsung. Any vested interest at play here? The reality is that none of these companies, including Panny, give a s#!t about Ireland, so if their products work its coincidence, not planning.
    Vested interest. You think I sell televisions ? LOL. No I try and help people receive terrestrial stuff (the forum title should have given it away). I am not an aerial installer either.

Telecommunications and Broadcasting background, if it sets your mind at ease.

6. That link is as old as the TV. See point 5. If you look at the bottom of the page you will see it says "Model numbers & specifications may differ in Ireland".

That is the original link. If you look closely in this site (boards) you will see the original spec sheet as a PDF that was also published.

6(sic). Its hard enough to keep up with the specs of this year's models without having to remember 3 year old ones. I had a look at the detailed specs - couldn't find what you mention.

(sic)(sic) I dont have a problem keeping up (it is a technical forum). This was the first Freesat HD Combo TV receiver. Freesat HD broadcasts in MPEG4 H264 L4 - yes that is the spec we use on DTT in Ireland. This TV required that processor on board to decode the broadcasts from the DVB-S2 tuner. The DVB-T tuner was limited by a few lines of code being omitted in the firmware. [url=https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/67631/69752.pdf[/url] you were looking for.

Likewise Panasonics 2009 range took similar shortcuts with the G10 Freesat HD Combo range. Sony and LGs Freesat HD/DVB-T Combo range included full Service specs with no shortcuts. Why would there be 2 different interpretations (of the supposed DBook excuse) ?

7. ETSI standards are a bit beyond me, but I found out to my cost over 30 years ago that importing UK TVs is a mugs game. It still is. I got the PZ81 to watch satellite and analogue. I was not even aware of Saorview at the time, so I can't honestly slag Panny if I have problems with Irish DTT. When I wanted a fully functioning Saorview 32" I got a Sony KDL-32W4000. But, its not approved, so I reckon if I have DTT problems Sony won't be rushing to help.

ETSI standards are not beyond you. (Again it is a technical forum) Give it a go. estsi.org
    Irish DTT has broadcast in MPEG4 H264 since August 2008. I have been watching it since then. Yes you shouldnt have problems with Sony or LG, their Freesat HD/DVB-T Combo range took no shortcuts.

I suggested this LZD81/PZ81 range to friends who bought same at the time to receive Irish DTT and Freesat HD. Unfortunately they were mugged. Customer service wasnt forthcoming. They were not best pleased to find that the reason they no longer can tune in stations is a few lines of code and not hardware limitations. You learn the hard way. They did. As did all those posting here and those who dont post in the technical forum.

I suggest you post your notions of where they went wrong in those owners threads (linked above). They'll love you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭winston_1

Be warned, there ARE USA models of DVB-T sets with almost identical model numbers and of course they only work in ATSC areas. (nowhere in Asia, Africa, Europe, Russia, China etc)

Almost correct. ATSC is however used in South Korea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭Antenna

For a while before official public transmission RTE was incorrectly using MPEG2 flags on MPEG4 transmission. This could cause a problem for set-boxes or TVs that do the software properly but very rigorously. So RTE NL have changed to using the proper signalling, as per the Feb 2008 spec. The spec hasn't changed in three years. Just RTE NL is now following it properly.

Did doing that (MPEG2 flag) in practice actually cause any problems?
    I don't recall any past postings here that it prevented any MPEG4 TVs/STBs from working, in contrast to the numerous postings from owners of Panasonics after the flag change happened.

If the MPEG2 flag didn't cause problems, could it not have been left as it was?

(I'm not at all trying to defend Panasonic and its crippling BTW, but surely a broadcaster in its own interest should avoid doing things that prevent a not insignificant number of receivers that TV licence payers already own have from receiving the service)

It's more important that Broadcasters Broacast properly. You can't be doing non-standard transmissions that don't comply with specification to suit one Manufactuer that could fix it easily and won't.

It probably is an insignificant number of viewers. It's more important to do it right. They should never have broadcast with the incorrect flag.

The problem is not RTE NL but Consumer Protection and Consumer Information in this Country. The So called "Broadband" sold by Mobile operators and fake "Unlimited" Data is an example of the lack of enforcement.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056176393

A Broadcaster needs to implement the standards properly. Not do A La Carté for insolent Manufacturers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭maxg

It's more important that Broadcasters Broacast properly. You can't be doing non-standard transmissions that don't comply with specification to suit one Manufactuer that could fix it easily and won't.

It probably is an insignificant number of viewers. It's more important to do it right. They should never have broadcast with the incorrect flag.

Due to the specs which flag to use is optional not mandatory.

Whose? The Published specifications for Ireland or someone else's spec?

It's Panasonics problem. They can easily fix and won't. They are despicable.

ETSI standard say "should" for 0x16 at a mpeg4 broadcasts respective 0x19 for mpeg4 HD. Its therefore also allowed to use 0x01 for both. Same at the nordig specs.
    Its a political decision to use 0x16/0x19 and not forced from the standards.

• Advertisement

That's purely your opinion and interpretation.

I have some spare aluminium foil ;)

This is my interpretation
    ETSI standard say should for 0x16 at a mpeg4 broadcasts respective 0x19 for mpeg4 HD.

Should doesn't mean could.

maxg wrote: »
    ETSI standard say "should" for 0x16 at a mpeg4 broadcasts respective 0x19 for mpeg4 HD. Its therefore also allowed to use 0x01 for both. Same at the nordig specs.
    Its a political decision to use 0x16/0x19 and not forced from the standards.

Not true. ETSI standards are clear on the flag usage of 0x01 which is reserved for MPEG2 usage only (including MPEG2 HD). RTE NLs usage of 0x16 is a a broadcast standard for flaging Advanced Codec SD Service type and is in line with that used by ALL MPEG4 broadcasters within Europe. In our case it is clear that it is needed given the amount of legacy gear whilst never used in this country still exists from our nearest neighbours chain stores, besides confusion that would be caused at border areas. Thus MPEG2 receivers should ignore the service according to ETSI standard - but some Dbook spec TV's wont!

The Nordig allowance comes under a heading for transitional arrangements for countries that have an existing SD MPEG2 DVB-T service and are switching to MPEG4. If you have read the Nordig document you will understand that is what it means by "promotion purpose"

Ireland does not have an existing DVB-T MPEG2 service. We are not switching from MPEG2 to MPEG4.

The flags are not optional nor politically motivated. They are broadcast standards.

Read Pages 112-114 about 0x1 usage.
    http://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_en/300400_300499/300468/01.09.01_60/en_300468v010901p.pdf

It WOULD be a political decison to unfairly benefit Panasonic, who can easily fix their mess, to transmit the wrong flag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭Antenna

STB wrote: »
    In our case it is clear that it is needed given the amount of legacy gear whilst never used in this country still exists from our nearest neighbours chain stores, besides confusion that would be caused at border areas.

I fail to see how doing this could lessen confusion with owners of MPEG2 only TVs?

If a digital TV picks up sound but no picture it is probably easier to explain to the general public that the TV is the wrong standard (MPEG2 only), compared to the same TV completely ignoring the DTT TV channels - sure with the latter scenario something else might be blamed - they might try purchasing a new 'digital aerial' thinking that might resolve it etc.

With analogue TVs a (non-multistandard) TV brought from most of mainland Europe (System B/G) to this country or UK (System I) would have displayed picture with no sound. I don't think any manufacturer ever designed a System B/G TV that would completely ignore or mute the picture of a System-I broadcast (or vice-versa) , rather than receive it without sound.
    What would have been the point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have a TH-50PZ81B

I can still receive the DTT channels, I presume because I scanned them when RTENL were using the wrong flag and I haven't rescanned them since. I have saved the channels to a SD card but I'm in the midwest, before anyone gets their hopes up.

Should I not be able to still receive the channels?

cnocbui wrote: »
    I have a TH-50PZ81B

I can still receive the DTT channels, I presume because I scanned them when RTENL were using the wrong flag and I haven't rescanned them since. I have saved the channels to a SD card but I'm in the midwest, before anyone gets their hopes up.

Should I not be able to still receive the channels?

if you do a rescan, you ll lose the channels that you are currently getting, and you wont be able to get them back

I understand that, hence the backup of channel info to SD card, or will that no longer work for restoring them?

And what will you do when RTE NL activate the 2nd Mux (needed if Oireachtas TV or Film channel starts, or a 2nd channel goes to HD, or if they want a test channel after RTÉ Jr/RTÉ+ is started)?

Panasonic needs to fix this. The SD Card channel save isn't a workable long term solution.

Antenna wrote: »
    I fail to see how doing this could lessen confusion with owners of MPEG2 only TVs?

If a digital TV picks up sound but no picture it is probably easier to explain to the general public that the TV is the wrong standard (MPEG2 only), compared to the same TV completely ignoring the DTT TV channels - sure with the latter scenario something else might be blamed - they might try purchasing a new 'digital aerial' thinking that might resolve it etc.

I should also have mentioned that it applies to MPEG4 HD services (ie 0x19). Service Type is also used by Freeview HD in UK.

The usage of the standard flag for Advance Codec 0x16 has the knock on effect of telling an MPEG2 receiver to ignore the service if the hardware limitations are exceeded. This avoids people bringing back their TV's, ringing RTE because they have sound and no video (just look at the number of threads posted here with these problems). It is meant to stop confusion (we shouldnt have TVs tuning in stations if its outside their limnitations).

IF the TVs have followed the ETSI standard and not the DBook then it is not a problem, the TV simply doesnt tune in the service, the person needs a set top box. In border areas MPEG2 Tvs will just ignore the MPEG4 service in a scan.

This is the relevant part of the ETSI standard.

I.2.2 service_type "advanced codec" (various)
    The advanced codec service_types have been allocated so as to be able to indicate that a service has been encoded using something other than MPEG-2. More specifically, assignment of one of these service_types implies that the receiver must support a codec other than MPEG-2 to be able to decode and present the service. On this basis it is recommended that MPEG-2 SD-only receivers should not present any service assigned one of these service_types to the viewer for selection.

• Advertisement

ETSI EN 300 468 V1.11.1
    Annex I page 131

I.2.1 service_type "digital television service" (0x01)
    As indicated by note 1 for table 79, this service_type should be used for MPEG-2 SD digital television service.
    However, it may also be used for services using other encodings, including encodings that have a specific entry
    elsewhere in table 79, e.g. MPEG-2 HD digital television service.

NOTE 2: DVB has deliberately not refined the definition of this service_type from "digital television service" to
    "MPEG-2 SD digital television service" due pre-existing use in the context of other (non-MPEG-2 SD)
    encodings.

Whose? The Published specifications for Ireland or someone else's spec?

It's Panasonics problem. They can easily fix and won't. They are despicable.

I agree. The absolute very minimum they could do is 'leak' the specs for the hotel files. Of course a final fix firmware would be nice. If this were the US there would be a class action launched and there would be firmware within a week.

ETSI EN 300 468 V1.11.1
    Annex I page 131

I.2.1 service_type "digital television service" (0x01)
    As indicated by note 1 for table 79, this service_type should be used for MPEG-2 SD digital television service.
    However, it may also be used for services using other encodings, including encodings that have a specific entry
    elsewhere in table 79, e.g. MPEG-2 HD digital television service.

NOTE 2: DVB has deliberately not refined the definition of this service_type from "digital television service" to
    "MPEG-2 SD digital television service" due pre-existing use in the context of other (non-MPEG-2 SD)
    encodings.

Maxg - I linked to the version that applied at the time..... This version (April 2010) hasnt changed in relation to broadcaster's implementation of 0x16 and 0x19 and most certainly not 0x1 as a service type for flagging purposes. It was never in doubt. It is the way all new broadcasters (or MPEG4 ONLY broadcasters) flag anyhow.

Have you read why that is and the specific cases it applies to ? Its on the following page to the one you quoted from - Page 132 ? It makes specific reference so as to avoid any ambiguous reading.

The non MPEG2 SD reference (which may have confused you) is for countries broadcasting in both MPEG2 SD and MPEG2 HD or countries broadcasting alternative streams in MPEG2 AND MPEG4.

We dont. We broadcast in MPEG4 only. It is not open to interpretation.

ETSI EN 300 468 V1.11.1
    Annex I page 132

EXAMPLE: Consider a platform where some services are based on MPEG-2 SD encoding and others are based on MPEG-2 HD encoding, both of which are delivered to a mixed population of MPEG-2 SD-only and MPEG-2 SD/HD receivers.

For a service based on MPEG-2 SD encoding the assignment of service_type is obvious: 0x01 ("digital television service").
    However, for a service based on MPEG-2 HD encoding the assignment of service_type depends on whether the service provider wants the service to be included in any service list presented to viewers of MPEG-2 SD-only receivers, even though they will not actually be able to view the service if selected. If this is the desired viewer experience then the service should be allocated service_type 0x01 ("digital television service"). If, however, the desired viewer experience is only to list services that the viewer of an MPEG-2 SD-only receiver will actually be able to view then the service should be allocated service_type 0x11 ("MPEG-2 HD digital television service).

This service_type may also be allocated to a service that contains both an MPEG-2 SD encoding and an alternative encoding (e.g. an MPEG-4 HD) of the same material. This is reasonable on the assumption that all receivers will be able to decode and present MPEG-2 SD encoded material, hence the viewer will at least be presented with the MPEG-2 SD coded form. However, depending on the capabilities of the receiver in use the viewer may be presented with the alternative, typically superior, coded form.

Also Section 1.2.2 is as it was previous version (in V1.11.1) and is clear about the usage of advanced codec 0x16 ie MPEG4 SD/0x19 MPEG 4 HD.

More specifically, assignment of one of these service_types implies that the receiver must support a codec other than MPEG-2 to be able to decode and present the service. On this basis it is recommended that MPEG-2 SD-only receivers should not present any service assigned one of these service_types to the viewer for selection.

Where a service is assigned one of the advanced codec service_types the component_descriptor should be used in SI to indicate the particular advanced codec used. This allows a receiver to unambiguously determine whether or not it will be able to decode and present the service and handle as appropriate.

Agreed.

Maxg - I linked to the version that applied at the time..... This version (April 2010) hasnt changed in relation to broadcaster's implementation of 0x16 and 0x19 and most certainly not 0x1 as a service type for flagging purposes. It was never in doubt. It is the way all new broadcasters (or MPEG4 ONLY broadcasters) flag anyhow.

Have you read why that is and the specific cases it applies to ? Its on the following page to the one you quoted from - Page 132 ? It makes specific reference so as to avoid any ambiguous reading.

You shouldn't mixup different things. Due to Annex I/I 2.1 it is optional to use either 0x01 or 0x16/0x19.
    I 2.2 is a recommendation and therefore not mandatory.

You shouldn't mixup different things. Due to Annex I/I 2.1 it is optional to use either 0x01 or 0x16/0x19.
    I 2.2 is a recommendation and therefore not mandatory.

I didn't.

Usage of 0x1 is only allowable:

1. Where a country is broadcasting both MPEG2 HD and MPEG2 SD services.

OR

2. Where a country is broadcasting in both MPEG2 and MPEG4.

And they are the only allowable circumstances. It couldnt be clearer.

• Advertisement

What is not understandable at the sentence about service type 0x01:

However, it may also be used for services using other encodings, including encodings that have a specific entry elsewhere in table 79.

And what is not understandable at the sentence about the advanced codec service types:

On this basis it is recommended
    that MPEG-2 SD-only receivers should not present any service assigned one of these service_types to the viewer for
    selection.

A recommendation is not mandatory and therfore the ETSI standard doesn't force anyone to use the service types for advanced codecs.

What is not understandable at the sentence about service type 0x01:

To me ? Nothing . To RTE NL engineers ? Nothing.

I cant answer for you but I dont have to, I can see your misreading, you cant unfortunately.

Not that I get any kick out of telling somebody on the internet that they are wrong. :)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSejkMBfaikJjl7JGZ3p9UspSErYjThmqNuRI13gD8J6K9GYfJi9CB4YJQ Night Max

Lot of disappointed customers with the PZ81B on the other side of the Irish Sea as well. Latest statement from Panasonic re deferred introduction of firmware to enable BBC iPlayer functionality in this model:
    “BBC iPlayer on 2008 Freesat models

Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding your LZD81 LCD panel / PZ81 plasma panel.

I note that you have specific interest in obtaining an update to the above product to facilitate watching BBC iPlayer.

I appreciate your disappointment that we have so far been unable to provide this upgrade and note your concerns.

However, I would stress that the above product was supplied to the market to satisfy a demand for HD content availability via Freesat and has successfully provided this. It was also always intended, albeit not promised, that Panasonic would make best endeavours to provide additional features and functions if possible.

It is important to note that such additional features did not form part of any contractual obligation with third parties such as Freesat, or indeed the defined specification of the product. In addition, as I am certain you can appreciate, it is impossible to design any product to be future proof. Technology is evolving at a rapid rate and new features are being introduced all the time. Many that are in the market now were not conceived at the time that your product was launched. In addition, specification for the content providers systems have changed a number of times since the product was initially released, resulting in difficulties for our development teams. Accordingly our marketing of the LCD / Plasma panels did not include a commitment to provide these new functions.

Having stated this, we do recognise that our customers are keen to receive the enhanced feature of BBC iPlayer and we remain strongly committed to realisation of this request. The integrity of our product and the ability to ensure continued and consistent functionality remains paramount. We would not release software that might in any way compromise the intended specification of our product. This has presented a number of technical difficulties for our development team and has meant that we have not been able to provide an update as quickly as we would have wished.

We are not complacent however and are strenuously pursuing the matter on behalf of our customers with our research and development teams. Currently, we anticipate the provision of an upgrade for BBC iPlayer in September 2011. However, as always, this is subject to the testing required to ensure that it will not be detrimental to the product specification.

We will of course continue to provide you with updates regarding this as and when we receive the applicable information. The latest information will always be provided via the FAQ section of our website.

It will not be possible to provide software upgrades to further enhance the platform used in this range of TVs in the future. Therefore any future additional services cannot be guaranteed.

I do appreciate your frustration and disappointment at the delays in providing BBC iPlayer functionality and offer my sincere apologies. However, I trust that the above will help to offer some clarification of the situation.

I thank you for your patience in this matter. If you should have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us on 0844 844 3852 or email us using the following email address:

customer.care@panasonic.co.uk

Kind Regards,

Customer Communications Centre
    Panasonic UK Ltd
    PUK (Registered Number 01069148 England) Registered Office: Panasonic UK Ltd, Willoughby Road, Bracknell, Berkshire RG12 8FP “

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Is that guy in the elections? That's the best load of political double-talk I've heard for a while. :)

To me ? Nothing . To RTE NL engineers ? Nothing.

Right, the RTL NL engineers understood it and used 0x01 before November 2010 and 0x16/0x19 afterwards.

• Advertisement

Right, the RTL NL engineers understood it and used 0x01 before November 2010 and 0x16/0x19 afterwards.

The broadcasts started in August 2008 using 0x1 Digital Tv Service.

In April 2009 they switched to 0x16 Advanced Codec SD.

No official service till Oct 2010. That was 18 months after switching to correct flag.

Likely in December 2007 to April 2009 more concerned with HW and distribution than content configuration.

got a reply from panasonic today after 2 months waiting

they just suggested to carry out a retune..I am out of the country at the moment so I can't check if anything has changed,if anyone has carried out a retune can you let me know if anything has changed
    thanks

"Thank you for your e-mail enquiry. Firstly, please accept my sincere apologies for the uncharacteristic delay in our response. Due to technical difficulties, we have been unable to provide a prompt response.

In response, I would suggest that you carry out a retune of your unit. A retune via the Auto Setup can be done by following the subsequent steps:

Press the menu button on the remote control (whilst in DVB mode)
    Access the Setup menu,
    Access DVB tuning menu
    Access Auto Setup and proceed (despite warnings)

We trust that the above information will be of assistance to you. However, of course, if you should have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us on 0844 844 3852 or email us using the following email address:

customer.care@panasonic.co.uk"

Kind Regards,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭winston_1

Typical Panachronic waffle. How will retuning work. The set is deliberatly crippled by Panachronic and needs a firmware update which they are refusing to supply.
    As for giving you a UK premium rate phone number that probably won't work from Ireland, well that just compounds their incomputance!

@ j4vier: Just for you retuned my PZ81B in DVB mode as suggested by Panasonic. TV connected to indoor UHF aerial. Channel 54 (738MHz) - Three Rock; Signal Quality 10; Signal Strength 8.
    DVB Services Found:
    Free TV: 1 - 'Test Service' (RTENL test card with digital clock showing current time & intermittent beeping sound).
    Radio: 10 - All 10 RTE digital radio stations + EPG.

thanks a mill for that, no improvements then as i used to get the radio stations correctly at the start of the month before i left.
    Really terrible customer service, the guy from panasonic doesn't even know that the tv is not suitable for the roi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Satfinder

Is this what the OP was looking for? See post #6 of the same thread for the how-to stuff.

Satfinder wrote: »
    Is this what the OP was looking for? See post #6 of the same thread for the how-to stuff.
    @j4vier: Satfinder is right - click on the the link for PZ81 Three Rock/Kippure hotel file. Worked for me! ;)

sorry guys havent check the thread in a while

that file for 3 rock mentioned on post 6, said only to use on TX-32LZD81

did u try it on a pz81?

j4vier wrote: »
    sorry guys havent check the thread in a while

that file for 3 rock mentioned on post 6, said only to use on TX-32LZD81

did u try it on a pz81?

Its post 10 not 6.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73027856&postcount=10

Pick one - either BBC NI or BBC London settings