Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to check if this is dodgey?

Options
  • 07-02-2011 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to check if a person leasing an apartment is legit before signing a contract. I am after finding an apartment on daft that is in a good area of Dublin for really cheap and is bills inclusive and I don't want to be caught up in something dodgey.

The "owner" says she is a civil engineer who has gotten work in England for the next 2 years and just wants the place well looked after!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Go meet her, see what she's like in person. If you go ahead with it make sure all keys work, the key into the main building and the key to the apartment itself. Don't hand over cash. Be sure she registers you with the PRTB.

If it is too good to be true, it usually is so I'd proceed with caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Penguino

Don't hand over cash, use a bank transfer. Also get a receipt and get her PPS number

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭beeno67

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Hello,

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to check if a person leasing an apartment is legit before signing a contract. I am after finding an apartment on daft that is in a good area of Dublin for really cheap and is bills inclusive and I don't want to be caught up in something dodgey.

The "owner" says she is a civil engineer who has gotten work in England for the next 2 years and just wants the place well looked after!

I am not saying this is a scam but there is a common scam that runs along these lines. Care to link the ad? You can often tell from the ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

She has taken down the ad from daft, but the email I sent to myself from there is

Hi Natalie,

Natalie just saw this ad on Daft.ie and thought you might like to see it.

(Copy Of Advert)

The Cedars, Ballsbridge, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4,
    South Dublin City - Apartment to let
    2 Bedrooms (2 double), 2 Bathrooms

Secure modern REFURBISHED apartment. ideal central location easy access to
    BALLSBRIDGE. AIB BANK CENTRE

Address: The Cedars, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4, South Dublin City

Rent: EUR400 monthly

And the pics of it were also linked to me;

https://picasaweb.google.com/109428661514678445019/Dublin?authkey=Gv1sRgCLiu3rPesLWujwE#

She also wants to do business solely through a company called moneybookers.com is this company a legit one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

She has taken down the ad from daft, but the email I sent to myself from there is

Hi Natalie,

(Copy Of Advert)

https://picasaweb.google.com/109428661514678445019/Dublin?authkey=Gv1sRgCLiu3rPesLWujwE#

She also wants to do business solely through a company called moneybookers.com is this company a legit one?

Do you even need to ask?! Common sense please.

100% scam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Hi Natalie,

(Copy Of Advert)

Run! The price alone is ridiculous and a dead give away. Why oh why might she want to ONLY do business through moneybookers.com though;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

Nice apartment though! Wonder what country it's really in....No way in hell you'd get a 2 bed apt in D4 for €400

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

Hi Natalie,

(Copy Of Advert)

These apartments ask c.€1500+ on Daft.

€400pm is total BS. Has to be a scam.

Ed: I may be wrong, but those pictures do not look like the Herbert Park Apartments either. Although I am open to correction I don't think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Repeat of the Sweepstakes scam a few years back

I think that was the name of the complex

tommy21 wrote: »
    Run! The price alone is ridiculous and a dead give away. Why oh why might she want to ONLY do business through moneybookers.com though;)

What is moneybookers? I am a bit of a novice to these things:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

pooch90 wrote: »
    Nice apartment though! Wonder what country it's really in....No way in hell you'd get a 2 bed apt in D4 for €400

Judging by the sockets in the bedroom , the apartment is in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭pogsick

MoneyBookers is like a money transfer site, it's like paypal

Moneybookers is a legitimate (and excellent) money transfer business, but if the person you are sending money to is a scammer, it doesn't matter if the intermediary is straight. Moneybookers would be an excellent way to anonymously receive money as part of a scam.

This is the info she sent me on the site, do they do this?

I want to inform you that MoneyBookers will hold the money until you will confirm to them that you like the apt and keep the keys. If you don't like it, you only have to return the keys to them after they will refund the money to you and they will deliver the keys back to me on my expense.
    I will need to inform you the steps about how this service works and how we can make it happen. You will only have to deposit to MoneyBookers Service - 1 month is 400 Euro, but you must to deposit 800 euros/the money for one month of rent and the deposit 400 Euro - so they can proceed with the shipping, and you can receive the keys and the contract.
    Like I said, I will pay for a 2 days delivery so you will receive the Keys and the contract signed by me right away. I will explain to you step by step how this will work:
    1 - To start this transaction i will need to know your full shipping information, full name, full shipping address to proceed with this deal .
    2 - I go to the MoneyBookers Office and leave the Keys and the contract in your name as the intended receiver.
    3 - MoneyBookers will check the envelope to see if everything is OK with it and also the legal papers that will come along with the Keys.
    4 - MoneyBookers will send you a delivery notification to let you know they have the Keys and the papers in their custody, in which you will be told that they have the Keys and that they checked it.
    5 - At this point you will have to go to a WesternUnion Agent Location and make a money transfer deposit on the MoneyBookers agent name in London assigned with this transaction for the amount we agreed, the total amount you shall deposit is for the first month of rent.
    6 - After you make the deposit you will have to send the infos about the money deposit to MoneyBookers (MTCN#, sender's name and address)
    7 - MoneyBookers will verify the payment informations and if everything is in order they will deliver the Keys and the contract to you .
    8 - After you receive the package, You will go and check the apt and in 2 days you must contact them and tell them if you keep the apt or not, if everything is in order you will instruct MoneyBookers to release the funds to me.

Total nonsense. Dropping keys into Moneybookers? Oh man, that's total crap.

This is 100% a scam. Walk away very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Scam, Scam, SCAM!!!

There is NO WAY you can rent an apartment in D4 for 400e, no matter what the reason. I hope you didn't give them too many details. The pics look a bit too perfect too. No lived in stuff, nothing. Refurbished or not, there'd be somthing!

As someone said moneybookers is a legit site, but once your money is gone, it's gone!

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, its a duck...
    Same with scams. Always trust those little hairs on the back of your neck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭beeno67

Don't forget to report the scam to DAFT

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I want to inform you that MoneyBookers will hold the money until you will confirm to them that you like the apt and keep the keys. If you don't like it, you only have to return the keys to them after they will refund the money to you and they will deliver the keys back to me on my expense

I copy/pasted bold into browser and got this, http://www.taringa.net/posts/solidaridad/7102544/Estafas-por-internet---CUIDADO.html.

Don't touch this apt...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

KTRIC wrote: »

Sh1t, you're right!!!! The light switches are north european, could be the Netherlands or German, same for the sockets.

Very well spotted Hercule!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Take a look at what the genuine apartments look like.
    http://www.daft.ie/searchshortterm.daft?id=4221
    http://www.property.ie/property-to-let/Herbert-Park-Apartments-The-Cedars-Ballsbridge-Dublin-4/1005991/

The windows and balconies are wrong. The other building is too close. It has air conditioning. The ceiling is too high for a non-penthouse (2800 euro not 400). The apartments in The Cedars have halls - the bedrooms don't lead of the living room..

Only the bathroom matches because they stole the photos from someone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

They 100% do not do any of that, they just facilitate transferring money to another person. This is definitely a scam, if you send on the information they've asked for (the senders name, address and the MTCN) then that money can be picked up anywhere in the world, from any moneybookers/western union and you will never hear from them again unless they trouble themselves to get in touch with you to try scam you out of a little more money. ('Oh, thanks for sending that on, unfortunatley I'll just need another deposit of x amount from you in order to safely guarantee postage of keys' etc. etc.)

I sent her an email questioning why it was so low. This was the reply. Every email ends the same, "need it sorted quickly"

hank you for your reply but the matter is that I'm in London already. Like I have inform you before, the price you shall pay for 1 month is 400 Euro, but you must to deposit 800 euros/the money for one month of rent and the deposit 400 Euro(for the whole apartment), with no extra taxes to pay. The money, I want to recive it monthly to my bank account, so I hope it will be no problem for you to wire the money to my bank account. The apartment is ready for you, you will need only to receive the keys and the contract to check it, and see if you like it. Obviously we need a way to complete this deal, that will allow us to make sure we receive what we are after. In order of that I have found a way for us to complete the deal safely and fast, and in this way you will receive the Keys in less than 2 days, if you move fast as well. The solution is provided by a company called MoneyBookers which is similar to FedEx or UPS, which will handle both payment and delivery of the Keys. I have found a procedure that will allow you to pay for the rent of the apt only after you will receive the keys of it and through this way you will see it and decide if you will stay in the apt or not before I receive my payment. Please click on the link bellow to the MoneyBookers website to see how we can complete the deal safely and fast directly from the website of the company where the procedure is explained: https://www.moneybookers.com/app/help.pl?s=escrow&l=EN
    Let me know if you are interested please because I really need to take care of this matter.

She seems to have sent this to me earlier too! She must be sending it to loads of people, she hasn't answered my question at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

it is suprising the lenghts these idiots will go to to try and scam someone, the person that wrote all this has probably never even been to ireland, or europe for that matter
    plenty of suspiciously cheap cars on carzone for sale, no contact phone number only e-mail, and any reply will get a response like you got about transferring money around because they live in england etc etc,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭pennypocket

This is an absolute scam. I reported this and another ad with a similar email address for an apartment in Grand Canal Dock to Daft yesterday. They have been taken down AFAIK. The air conditioning unit in the living room was a dead giveaway, as if we'd need it in sunny Ireland. As was the 20 minutos newspaper on the kitchen table, the fact that the building doesn't look at all like the Cedars and of course the ridiculously low rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

If you did send money it would probably go to this guy or one of his chums..

nigerian-scammer.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

KTRIC wrote: »

Its in BORDEAUX!!! There is a copy of 20 Minutes french Bordeaux newspaper on the table!!! This is not a newspaper you can buy in shops. its one which is given out free each evening.

Its 100% in France. The French doors even match those in Bordeaux.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Pisturchiella

I sent her an email questioning why it was so low. This was the reply. Every email ends the same, "need it sorted quickly"

hank you for your reply but the matter is that I'm in London already. Like I have inform you before, the price you shall pay for 1 month is 400 Euro, but you must to deposit 800 euros/the money for one month of rent and the deposit 400 Euro(for the whole apartment), with no extra taxes to pay. The money, I want to recive it monthly to my bank account, so I hope it will be no problem for you to wire the money to my bank account. The apartment is ready for you, you will need only to receive the keys and the contract to check it, and see if you like it. Obviously we need a way to complete this deal, that will allow us to make sure we receive what we are after. In order of that I have found a way for us to complete the deal safely and fast, and in this way you will receive the Keys in less than 2 days, if you move fast as well. The solution is provided by a company called MoneyBookers which is similar to FedEx or UPS, which will handle both payment and delivery of the Keys. I have found a procedure that will allow you to pay for the rent of the apt only after you will receive the keys of it and through this way you will see it and decide if you will stay in the apt or not before I receive my payment. Please click on the link bellow to the MoneyBookers website to see how we can complete the deal safely and fast directly from the website of the company where the procedure is explained: https://www.moneybookers.com/app/help.pl?s=escrow&l=EN
    Let me know if you are interested please because I really need to take care of this matter.

She seems to have sent this to me earlier too! She must be sending it to loads of people, she hasn't answered my question at all!

Hello, I got exactly the same reply today for an apartment advertised on www.rent.ie on Saturday (it has already been removed from the website) in Cork City Center.
    Very low rent in the ad, but to tell the truth I didn't initially thought of a scam, I thought it was a typo redface.gif
    They are apparently advertising all over Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I am after finding an apartment on daft that is in a good area of Dublin for really cheap and is bills inclusive and I don't want to be caught up in something dodgey.

I highlighted the bits that equal scam...
    Its in BORDEAUX!!! There is a copy of 20 Minutes french Bordeaux newspaper on the table!!! This is not a newspaper you can buy in shops. its one which is given out free each evening.

Its 100% in France. The French doors even match those in Bordeaux.
    Heh. They'll have to take new photos, now :D

Advertisement