Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baltimore

Options
  • 07-02-2011 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I am writing a article on Baltimore for an Irish-American publication and would like to get in touch with someone from the town who might be able to help with some local knowledge. If anyone is interested they might drop me a PM

jad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Spinnaker

Not from there but an occasional visitor.

Baltimore is essentially a very friendly village. Contact any business owner from the listings here...

http://www.baltimore.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

jad2007 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I am writing a article on Baltimore for an Irish-American publication and would like to get in touch with someone from the town who might be able to help with some local knowledge. If anyone is interested they might drop me a PM

jad
    I suggest you contact, say, Casey's hotel and book in for a weekend stay, get talking to some locals and get a feel for the area yourself.

It's steeped in history from the sacking of the O'Driscolls by Captain Dobbyn of Waterford over a pirated wine shipment in 1537 to the modern regattas. From the fish and seafood being transported via rail and sea to Billingsgate in London for the following morning sale over 100 years ago to the Island ferries of today.

Beautiful little spot, restaurants with great fresh seafood, pubs with good traditional music.

Rooms off-season are not that expensive, worth a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jad2007

^ thanks for that uncle tom, cant wait to get down there...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Supplier

Check out http://divainternational.ch/spip.php?article249

You don't get very many local Irish stories of white slavery with the Ottoman connection.

Fascinating history - go to McCarthys pub, read the walls and talk to locals

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

I suggest you contact, say, Casey's hotel and book in for a weekend stay, get talking to some locals and get a feel for the area yourself.

It's steeped in history from the sacking of the O'Driscolls by Captain Dobbyn of Waterford over a pirated wine shipment in 1537 to the modern regattas. From the fish and seafood being transported via rail and sea to Billingsgate in London for the following morning sale over 100 years ago to the Island ferries of today.

Beautiful little spot, restaurants with great fresh seafood, pubs with good traditional music.

Rooms off-season are not that expensive, worth a call.

Me and a few friends were thinking of heading to Schull for a few days before the summer season kicks in. I know there are a few wheelchair accessible pubs there. Do you know if it's the same in Baltimore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Buceph wrote: »
    Me and a few friends were thinking of heading to Schull for a few days before the summer season kicks in. I know there are a few wheelchair accessible pubs there. Do you know if it's the same in Baltimore?
    I don't, I'm afraid. I'm not from there and the times I've been I've stayed in Casey's which is wheelchair accessible and it's a little nugget.

I just really dig the history, and Baltimore is marinaded in it. Like the fog that rolls in from the sea on a cold winters day, everything there is misted in history......:p

Advertisement