Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment lease

Options
  • 07-02-2011 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I have viewed an apartment where the current tenants are exiting before the 12 month term.
    They received permission from the leasing agent to do so.

I contacted the agent to confirm.

Does the holding/security deposit go to the current tenants or to the letting agent?

The agent stated that the current tenants deposit would be treated as mine in the new lease. However, they will not 3 be exiting for another 3 weeks.

Any suggestions or experience handling similar situation would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

I would imagine it goes to the letting agent. I would not at all be happy handing a deposit to some random bunch of tenants who'll be out of there in 3 weeks. Sounds absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

My advice would be not to give it to the outgoing tenants under any circumstances. Give it to the leasing agent and make sure you get a receipt/document to prove that they are holding your deposit. If you have a disagreement with them or they try to withhold some of it, it will be a lot harder to get it back if you have given your deposit to the previous tenants.

Advertisement