Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Wales - Nations Cup - 08/02/11 - 7:45PM

• 07-02-2011 7:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

football-boots-carling-four-nations-logo.jpg

02d2a_3c973_FAI-logo-CAB41592F8-seeklogo.com.gifv Football_Association_of_Wales-logo-09FE501A8E-seeklogo.com.gif

LIVE STREAM

The 2011 Nations Cup is to be the first edition of a round-robin football tournament between the national teams of Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Scotland, and Wales. It is scheduled to take place in Dublin in February and May 2011

This match is live on Sky Sports 1 however it is also live on S4C, which is FTA in Ireland

Ireland V Wales - Aviva Stadium - 7:45PM - Sky Sports 1/S4C

UPDATE:
    Team Lineups

Ireland: Shay Given, John O'Shea, Sean St Ledger, Richard Dunne, Ciaran Clark, Seamus Coleman, Glenn Whelan, Darron Gibson, Damien Duff, Jonathan Walters, Kevin Doyle.

Wales: Wayne Hennessey, Neal Eardley, James Collins, Danny Collins, Sam Ricketts, David Vaughan, Andrew Crofts, Andy King, Simon Church, Robert Earnshaw, Hal Robson-Kanu

Team News

Wales - Aaron Ramsey, David Edwards and Ched Evans have withdrawn from an initial squad that was already without Craig Bellamy, Gareth Bale, Boaz Myhill, Craig Morgan and Danny Gabbidon.

08/02/11 Update: Speed has handed the Wales captaincy to Aston Villa centre-back James Collins, with Craig Bellamy having relinquished the role.
    He will be partnered by namesake Danny Collins at the heart of the defence and they will be flanked by Neal Eardley and Sam Ricketts, with Wayne Hennessey in goal.
    Andrew Crofts, Andy King and David Vaughan will line up in midfield, while Reading duo Simon Church and Hal Robson-Kanu will be in attack alongside Rob Earnshaw.
    The likes of Bellamy, Ashley Williams and Joe Ledley are being rested after playing in tough local derbies on Sunday.

Ireland - Robbie Keane and James McCarthy have both pulled out of the Irish squad due to injury. Seamus Coleman and Ciaran Clark will both make their Republic of Ireland international debuts, Clark at left-back and Coleman on the right-wing in midfield.

08/02/11 Update: Ireland boss Trapattoni will hand debuts to Seamus Coleman and Ciaran Clark in midweek.
    Coleman, who has been in fine form for Everton this season, will start on the right side of midfield, while promising Aston Villa defender Clark has been named at left-back.
    Trapattoni has yet to choose between Darron Gibson and Paul Green for a central midfield berth alongside Glenn Whelan, but the Italian has confirmed that Stoke striker Jonathan Walters will make his first start up front, partnering Kevin Doyle.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Irish team:

Shay Given, John O'Shea, Sean St Ledger, Richard Dunne, Ciaran Clark, Seamus Coleman, Glenn Whelan, Paul Green/Darron Gibson, Jonathan Walters, Kevin Doyle.

Trap still undecided on Green or Gibson, should be McCarthy in there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Darron Gibson Oh no.............

Good to see Coleman and Clark getting a run,good players for the future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Just realised they've only named ten players... Will it be Duff on the left wing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Predalien wrote: »
    Just realised they've only named ten players... Will it be Duff on the left wing?

Yeah it's Duff on the wing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

anyone hoping to watch on S4C, be warned that the commentary will be in Welsh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Clarke and Coleman included. That's a start anyway, considering how reluctant Trappatoni has been to change from the old guard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

SUBS for tomorrow night: Westwood, Kelly, O'Dea, Wilson, Fahey, Gibson or Green, Keogh, Long. Six of the eight can be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

It will be good to see how Coleman and Clark do tomorrow, other than that i am really not one bit excited about this game/"tournament". Would have loved to see McCarthy play too but probably safest for him to be rested by Wigan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Our first chance to win senior-level silverware since the Iceland Triangular Tournament in 1986, how exciting! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

MOG7 wrote: »
    Would have loved to see McCarthy play too but probably safest for him to be rested by Wigan.

Here's hoping it's not a long term rest. :eek: Signs aren't looking good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

So the republic play wales tommorow night, when do they play against the north and the scots ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Carling Nations Cup 2011 Fixtures

9 February 2011
    19:45
    Northern Ireland v Scotland

24 May 2011
    Republic of Ireland v Northern Ireland

25 May 2011
    Wales v Scotland

27 May 2011
    Wales v Northern Ireland

29 May 2011
    18:30
    Republic of Ireland v Scotland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

Does anybody have a good idea what the attendance will be? I'd say 35,000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

DH2K9 wrote: »
    Does anybody have a good idea what the attendance will be? I'd say 35,000

Can't really see them getting that kind of a crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Desire to Aspire

Ah, I have training. I was looking forward to watching this and all.

Ireland should win fairly comfortably. 2-0 win I'd guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

gustafo wrote: »
    Can't really see them getting that kind of a crowd.

They got 20 something against Norway I think so with cheaper tickets, more away fans and not being a friendly I'd say they will get 35. At least 30 defiantly.

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Here's hoping it's not a long term rest. :eek: Signs aren't looking good.

As has been pointed out in the other thread he was treated bad by supporters when he was playing for Hamilton so i can't see him ever playing for Scotland. I will be a small bit nervous until he does play for Ireland but i am pretty sure he will. It was Wigan that pulled him out of the squad too afaik, if he pulled himself out then maybe i'd be slightly more worried, and even at that he isn't long back from injury so you can see why he isn't playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

MOG7 wrote: »
    As has been pointed out in the other thread he was treated bad by supporters when he was playing for Hamilton so i can't see him ever playing for Scotland.
    Yeah, having grown men chanting 'James McCarthy, why don't you go home?' at you when you're 17 years old isn't going to entice you to change your mind.
    Wigan pulled him out as he's just back from a long-term injury and he's played 2 games in 4 days for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Hope Marc Wilson gets a chance in central midfield at some point, he literally pisses on our other options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

he literally pisses on our other options.
    That can't be good for squad morale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

DH2K9 wrote: »
    They got 20 something against Norway I think so with cheaper tickets, more away fans and not being a friendly I'd say they will get 35. At least 30 defiantly.

It's a friendy in all but name to everyone i know.

It's a friendy in all but name to everyone i know.

At least the results have more meaning than a friendly. It's better to know there's a target than just a random pointless friendly. And you could be very surprised in the morale boost it would give the team to lift a trophy together, however meaningless it is! My two cents....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Desire to Aspire

NUTZZ wrote: »
    At least the results have more meaning than a friendly. It's better to know there's a target than just a random pointless friendly. And you could be very surprised in the morale boost it would give the team to lift a trophy together, however meaningless it is! My two cents....

Plus it gives us the bragging rights among the four nations. Alright, that doesn't really mean anything, but it's better than nothing.

Winning it might be a cnfidence booster i suppose, but even Given referred to it as a friendly at the news conference today

Winning it might be a cnfidence booster i suppose, but even Given referred to it as a friendly at the news conference today

Probably just a slip of the tongue and I'm sure Carling will give him a clip 'round the ear for saying it! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭-Strawbs-

Well with the few younger lads in I'm excited.. It'll be like Norway, only useful :D

Probably just a slip of the tongue and I'm sure Carling will give him a clip 'round the ear for saying it! :pac:

Given's quote....
    "But it could be that he is doing rehabilitation work at Wigan this week. A lot goes on that we don't see behind the scenes. Maybe he'll be better for Wigan for that next week, as it's only a friendly for ourselves."

I'm looking it as a friendly, pure and simple, and most fans will be as well.

Des wrote: »
    anyone hoping to watch on S4C, be warned that the commentary will be in Welsh
    When the rugby is on you can change the audio via red button or audio options,this might be the same.

Given's quote....

I wasn't denying he said it, I was only joking! See how many fans take it as a friendly if we lift a trophy in May is all I'm saying!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

mickymouse tournament only good for the piss up and even then having it midweek isnt good for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Does anyone give a hoot about this? Why is it not being played in the summer when it would be able to take advantage of no competing distractions?

At the end of a hard season, I'm pretty sure you'd have so many withdrawals, you'd end up playing the under 21 side....and who's gonna go see that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Looks like Clark and Coleman are going to get the start. Walters too.

Good stuff.

At the end of a hard season, I'm pretty sure you'd have so many withdrawals, you'd end up playing the under 21 side....and who's gonna go see that?

Who's really going to go see this anyways, i'm not expecting much of a crowd tonight and for the games not involving Ireland the place will be empty.

I've seen a few kilt wearing lumps of men wandering around today. Might get a decent crowd (by neutral standards).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fixtures

Tuesday February 8th
    Republic of Ireland v Wales

Wednesday February 9th
    Northern Ireland v Scotland

Tuesday May 24th
    Republic of Ireland v Northern Ireland

Wednesday May 25th
    Wales v Scotland

Friday May 27th
    Wales v Northern Ireland

Sunday May 29th
    Republic of Ireland v Scotland

Someone try and figure the above schedule out.

I wasn't thinking of early June more like first week July get the whole thing done and dusted in 5/6 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

mike65 wrote: »
    Does anyone give a hoot about this? Why is it not being played in the summer when it would be able to take advantage of no competing distractions?

It's far more interesting than most friendlies imo.

I'd say you'd get a full house versus Scotland, assuming we're in with a shout of winning the tournament, and also the prospect of James McCarthy lining out against his native country would give it added spice....plus it's a Sunday. More chance of travelling Scottish support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

mike65 wrote: »

I work 100m away from lansdowne and couldn't be arse going. The idea of going to a friendly against Scotland or Wales depresses me. The radio ad is funny. "the stars are coming".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

If I still lived in Ireland I'd be going to every game. Regardless of it being a nothing tournament, we could do with getting a boost from some wins, and the more games the lads play together the better.

God knows the country could do with a win too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

I'm going to it tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Darron Gibson or Paul Green? :mad:

At least some steps in the right direction with the inclusion of Coleman and Clark.
    Hope Marc Wilson gets a chance in central midfield at some point, he literally pisses on our other options.

Jamie, is that you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

L'prof wrote: »
    It's far more interesting than most friendlies imo.

Not when the tournament is played evry single year. By 2012, it'll be very boring having to play the same teams (and British-style hoofball teams I might add). We also learn absolutely nothing from these games, we should be playing more away games against Eastern European teams as we usually have difficulty there in qualifying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Will Coleman play in midfield then? I know he's been playing there for Everton but isn't he a right back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Ye he'll be on the right.
    I got me tickets in the post yesterday! Cant wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Clanket wrote: »
    Will Coleman play in midfield then? I know he's been playing there for Everton but isn't he a right back?

Right midfield. O'Shea is right back. If you ask me, O'Shea should be tried in midfield as we're very poor there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Not when the tournament is played evry single year. By 2012, it'll be very boring having to play the same teams (and British-style hoofball teams I might add). We also learn absolutely nothing from these games, we should be playing more away games against Eastern European teams as we usually have difficulty there in qualifying.

Every second year, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Do todays tickets get you into tomorrows match?
    Surely that's the route to take to maximise the crowd

Do todays tickets get you into tomorrows match?
    Surely that's the route to take to maximise the crowd

Yeah, right. This is the FAI we're talking about here. 20 balloons for match tomorrow, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

How do you guys actually think about this tournament anyway?

I think it's the most pointless idea anyone organizing football tournaments ever had. Maybe it's different when you're Irish and obviously I wouldn't know about that but what is the Irish squad going to get out of repeatedly playing 3 of the arguably poorest sides in Europe?

Between the schedule, the ticket prices and the participants it seems totally uninteresting. Or is it just me thinking that?

• Advertisement
Advertisement